Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Denon receiver repair help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Denon receiver repair help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK, this is a long shot but I thought I would try to see if you component level guys might have an idea. I purchased a broken Denon AVR-688 receiver. The description of the problem was "no audio output" I hooked up the front left and right speakers and ran through the tone test and it sounded alright. I hooked a source into the various inputs and found the following on all of the inputs. When the volume is turned all of the way down it is at -80db, once I get to around -40db I start to hear the audio. Any thoughts of where to begin looking for the problem?
Thanks
Dan
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what you're asking? You hear audio you say. Sounds like everything is working fine. Can you rephrase the question?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he is saying Curt is, when he use the internal test sound the audio is fine. Or at least for the 2 fronts. So that would eliminate the output section. Then when he inputs something he barely gets any sound out. This is on all inputs. So this would eliminate the input and switching section. So that leaves the processing section. Or a power loss to a circuit that requires power to function.

Options:
1: Did you try different sources?
2: Remove cover and unplug and reattach any wire harnesses you find. It could be a bad connection.
3: Check all screws holding boards in for looseness. Ground screws cause great havoc in audio devices.
4: Acquire a service manual to trace circuit.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, your interpretation is better than mine. He didn't say he didn't get audio, he said it started at -40, which is about right. Smile

Input/output pre/power amp loop connectors missing?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
OK, your interpretation is better than mine. He didn't say he didn't get audio, he said it started at -40, which is about right. Smile

Input/output pre/power amp loop connectors missing?

There have been times where you answered someones question and I couldn't interpret what they were saying either. Maybe I just had more caffeine today then you...... Very Happy
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. 0 cups so far. Very Happy
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac you interpreted correctly. Sorry for not being more clear. I will try the checking for loose connections and tighten screws but a schematic would be of no use for my abilities. If the above does not work I may see if you want the unit for the cost of shipping. It looks new out of the box with all of the stickers still on the front. I took a chance hoping it would be something simple.
Thanks
Dan
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
Mac you interpreted correctly. Sorry for not being more clear. I will try the checking for loose connections and tighten screws but a schematic would be of no use for my abilities. If the above does not work I may see if you want the unit for the cost of shipping. It looks new out of the box with all of the stickers still on the front. I took a chance hoping it would be something simple.
Thanks
Dan

Sure, I'll take that offer.... Thumbs Up
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here had a similar problem, a high end Denon worked save for the surround functions. Turns out it was a cracked PC board.

I get about 50% success rate on 'customer return' units. A lot of times it's simply 'user error'. THe other 50% end up being techy problems due to some internal component issue, and I'd say about half of those are writeoffs due to expensive chips being bad.

right now I've got two high end Yamaha receivers here, one c/w remotes, that go dead intermittently. Will work fine for up to 2-3 weeks, then be stone cold dead. I've traced it down to the 'processor' boards, that house the CPU. I've resoldered bunches of stuff, flexed the board, blah blah, no dice. One ended up working for 3 months before it died again. Nice receivers, useless the way they are though.

I'm sure Mac (or myself) would love to take a stab at the Denon if you give up.
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also don't fully understand (even though I had several cups of coffee) but...

I have a Denon 788 that I bought refurbished. It started having a terrible problem (loud noise in anything but "STEREO" mode.) I sent it for repair and it was good as new for a while and then a few weeks later the problem just came back.

There was only a few screws on the case and inside there was boards and stuff so I took it apart and re-seated things. It's been fine ever since.

It's a long shot but ... maybe you want to try re-seating boards. These newer AVR's have more boards (more modular) and maybe something is loose.

-Brian
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I do not really have a problem. As I increase the volume after the -40db mark the sound output goes up considerably. I had just thought that between -80db and -40db that I would have some sort of volume from the system and that this would not just be dead space. Whatever happened to volume just going from 1 to 10 (or 11 is you get the special Spinal Tap version of a receiver)?
Dan
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's annoying. Keep in mind that -60db is almost dead silent. That was the noise floor back in good old reel to reel days, and -60 was considered excellent for a s/n ratio.

What kills me is that these manufacturers want you to think that 0 db is the level that the filmmakers want you to listen to the sound to, but they completely ignore the fact that the room and speaker sensitivities can affect the sound pressure by about 20 db. One Bose speaker has a sensitivity of 84 db, very insensitive, while a horn loaded pro cabinet can have a a sensitivity of 106 db.
bgotro

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Audio Level Reply with quote

I was also going to say that I doubt I'd hear anything at all on my SSP (Anthem Statement D2) at -80db! I normally have audio levels at around -20db for movie/TV show watching.

"Audi Bill
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead a cranked the volume up and everything appears OK. A nice pickup of a $400 list receiver for $33 including shipping. I'am sure the person who bought and returned it was just like me and expecting sound in the first range of the volume control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: