Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Where to get a good FW900?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Where to get a good FW900? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My trusty 21" CRT in my office has gotten wobbly, so I had to switch to a 24" LCD.

Pro: Sharp. Text is great.
Con: Colors change from bluish silver to deep reddish brown if I move my head vertically more than 4 inches. Rolling Eyes

So, I can't take it any more. I have to bob my head up and down like a goddamned pigeon whenever I do any graphics work because the color, gamma, and black level all change with vertical view position.

Anyone know where I can get a *good* FW900? People have 'em on ebay, but they tend to be b-stock ("minor blemish on the anti-glare coating" my ass) and I don't need to pay four hundred bucks for something ELSE that'll piss me off.

Any ideas?

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a few let me know. I still need 7 of them.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much anybody that's still selling these are going to be individual sellers selling them as "used" or resellers selling off-lease and surplus, which will be "B-stock".

This place has one that says "Refurbished, looks and operates like New"... for only $799! Shipping is free, though! Wink
http://www.accurateit.com/details.asp?iid=203

If you want to buy from a reseller, try googling "Sony GDM-FW900 refurbished" or "GDM-FW900 like new" or something like that. Otherwise, I think you're going to be relegated to craigslist if you don't want B-stock.

So, what 24 LCD are you using? It must be a cheapie. I have an older Apple Cinema 24 on my desk at home, and although black and uniformity aren't excellent, color is. I have a new Dell 24 at the office that was ~$550, and though I had to use an eyeone to get it dialed in, it's excellent in pretty much every way. Blacks are indistinguishable from a CRT, even in dim light. The only time black is noticeably elevated are when the room lights are completely off.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its wobbly maybe it can be repaired? i bet its as simple as maybe a few capacitors and or convergence chips. Ask McGyver for some help. he is the master.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

So, what 24 LCD are you using? It must be a cheapie.

Yeah, it's pretty cheap. It's a Samsung something-or-other that we use for the triple-LCD setups on our motion sims - it was lying around in its box in the hallway so I snagged it when the 21" went pear-shaped.

And to Analog - yes, I'm sure it's possible to fix it. But I'm lucky to have a few minutes to figure out what kind of monitor to GET, let alone FIX one of them. I'm running my own business here - time to fiddle replacing caps and such just isn't available.

I'm actually using it as a secondary right now, and it's fine for that - just not good for reading tons of emails and such.

Yeah, the other possibility is to find a *good* 24", but I'm not sure that'll be any cheaper than an FW900, in the end. And since I don't care about space / power consumption, I'd rather have the CRT - I like the look better and the ability to do multiple resolutions without horrid scaling artifacts is a Good Thing.

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

So, what 24 LCD are you using? It must be a cheapie.

Yeah, it's pretty cheap. It's a Samsung something-or-other that we use for the triple-LCD setups on our motion sims - it was lying around in its box in the hallway so I snagged it when the 21" went pear-shaped.

And to Analog - yes, I'm sure it's possible to fix it. But I'm lucky to have a few minutes to figure out what kind of monitor to GET, let alone FIX one of them. I'm running my own business here - time to fiddle replacing caps and such just isn't available.

I'm actually using it as a secondary right now, and it's fine for that - just not good for reading tons of emails and such.

Yeah, the other possibility is to find a *good* 24", but I'm not sure that'll be any cheaper than an FW900, in the end. And since I don't care about space / power consumption, I'd rather have the CRT - I like the look better and the ability to do multiple resolutions without horrid scaling artifacts is a Good Thing.

That should read and to Athanasios.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with the FW-900 as I'm looking for one myself, but I do have a nice 21" Sony that was branded as a Dell (p1101?) It is flat glass, however it has one minor scratch.

Native resolution is 1800x1440 but I usually ran it at 1920x1440. If you'd like it make me an interesting trade offer and we could likely make a deal.

If I see any of the 24's local I'll let you know.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
I can't help you with the FW-900 as I'm looking for one myself, but I do have a nice 21" Sony that was branded as a Dell (p1101?) It is flat glass, however it has one minor scratch.

Native resolution is 1800x1440 but I usually ran it at 1920x1440. If you'd like it make me an interesting trade offer and we could likely make a deal.

If I see any of the 24's local I'll let you know.

Hmm, you're only an hour-ish away so driving up to pick it up would actually be practical. I'll have to think about that. I like the real estate that the 24 has, but the color thing is driving me berserk and it might be a while before I can dig up an FW900...

The other two I have are actually Dell p1101s, too - one of them is the one with a little wobble and the other has black levels that make a first-generation LCD projector look contrasty. I know there's a fix for that, but again... time, time, time. Plus I don't do graphics on that machine, so it doesn't matter as much aside from the raw principle of the thing. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peri,

For the black level issue I believe there is a resistor fix on the neckboard, have you switched the bright one over to SRGB color mode. When I did this on mine it lowered the black level quite a bit (down to where it should be)

I have some other stuff I'm looking to unload if you're interested. Two Kodak Photo-CD changers, two smaller screens, one pulldown and one tripod, some boards from a Barco Data 801s. I'm looking to unload this stuff really cheap.

Let me know.

Erik
secstate

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get a good FW900? Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
Con: Colors change from bluish silver to deep reddish brown if I move my head vertically more than 4 inches. Rolling Eyes

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a cheap "TN" LCD panel. These have awful color varation vertically and horizontally among other issues. You probably want a PVA/MVA or *IPS panel display. You can read more about the different LCD technologies here: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php .

I had a W900 (the model before the FW900) for about 4 years and loved it. But for a variety of reasons I really wanted dual monitors and the only way I was going to pull that off was LCD. I picked up two Dell 2209WA panels which are eIPS based and have wonderful color, exteremly sharp text. One cost me $200 and the other $213. So I have 22" x 2 goodnesss on my main computers.

I almost all respects I prefer my Dells to the Sony. Text is sharper, I have more desk space, color is a wash (they are basically the same to my eyes), geometry is perfect and they are efficient (they pull 36 watts each as opposed to 250). The only negative to my eyes is the anti-reflective coating is a noticable at times (makes the screen look dusty) however once I adjusted the Dells down from torch mode the effect almost disaapeared and you get the IPS "glow" on a pure black screen but that is not a huge issue for me a comptuer monitor.

I really thought long and hard about an FW900 but they are getting a bit long in the tooth and they weren't, generally speaking, terribly cheap. Honestly I haven't looked back since I went LCD.

Also Dell has a 3-year at home replacement warranty on the monitors and will exchange for even one dead pixel (both of mine were perfect).

Dell is having a sale on their higher end montiors right now. The 24" PVA panel listed below is also very nice:

Dell SB has Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24"; (1920x1200) widescreen LCD monitor for $479 - 10% off coupon VBGH?K188CBWMC = $431 with free shipping.

They also have Dell UltraSharp 2209WA (e-IPS panel, 1680x1050) LCD monitor for $229 - 10% off coupon VBGH?K188CBWMC = $206 with free shipping
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly, secstate. I'm sitting here at my desk right now looking at a 2408WFP. I do design work all day every day and I love it. Like you said, perfect geometry, tack sharp focus all over, excellent color, no flicker, great uniformity... I don't notice the matte screen because I work in a dimly lit room, and in that same lighting, I don't notice the lack of perfect black at all. Unless you're playing games or watching movies in a dark room, black is NOT an issue. I don't really care about scaling because I only use it at 1900x1200 (native) - which is exactly how I'd use an FW900. Calibration isn't bad out of the box, though like you said, you do have to crank the contrast down from torch mode quite a bit. If you calibrate it with the eyeone, it's awesome - the best display I've ever had, in fact. Zero complaints, here.

$479 less a 10% discount is a smokin' deal on it, too. We just got them in February and I'm pretty sure we paid about $550 for them. TWO DVI inputs, HDMI, component, and DisplayPort. Oh, and it swivels if you want to use it in portrait mode.

After working with a couple of good LCD's for a couple of years, there's no way I could go back to a CRT. In fact, I'm not sure I'd pay more than $100 for an FW900 in nice shape, and even then it would just be to snag it and put in my basement. There's no way I'd make it my primary display that I use every day.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my second FW900 for $50. People are throwing them away these days.

But I agree, my 24" Dell at work spanks if for normal PC use...but beware the replacement model (2080 or 2008 or something) has way too much edge enhancement....it's horrid.

I just want the 24" CRT as it is true multisync, and runs the same res as my XG via a splitter, but for all other use, go LCD (and use way less power).
secstate

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mark if I could have found a decent FW900 for $50 I probably would have got it. I looked on and off for two years and never found one that was decent for less than $200 and that would then either require shipping or several hours driving. Maybe something CRT related is cheaper for you guys after all.

As for the latest Dell 24" I think those issues you mention were fixed with the A02 firmware. I don't own one and don't really keep up on the buzz but that is my recollection. I think the A02 firmware has been available since early this year.

@ecrabb if the deal on the 24" was available two months ago when I purchased by two 22" monitors I probably would have picked up one 24" and 22" instead. I could really use the extra inputs of the 24". Also *VA displays are probably the best for CRT folks since they have the best contrast of the three widely used LCD technologies. And you are right I don't even notice the anti-reflective coating anymore unless I look for it. I think initially I was used to the gloss w900 screen (it did not have the anti-glare coating the FW900 had) but once I used the Dells for a while and adjusted them it completely disappeared unless I looked for it.

It looks like the Dell deal is dead, at least the coupons don't seem to be getting applied online. Another monitor to consider is the HP LP2475W which is a 24" HIPS panel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: