Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: Marquee HD Mods by DraganM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This is what i am talking about here and these products might help but its no a guaranty , the sheets are costly and this is one reason i an hessitant to try it now, but in time I might. lots of interesting info on that companies web site regarding noise of all types, including vibration's.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211848#211848

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board removal and re-installation PDF instructions have been updated with extra pictures showing how things are supposed to go back together to ensure that people don't make common mistakes like installing connectors that are offset by one row of pins (for example)

See the order page here: http://www.curtpalme.com/MarqueeHDmods.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people have e-mailed me asking for screen shots to try and get an idea of "how much better can my marquee look if do this" etc. My photography skills are awful but last night while watching a show with my wife I paused it occasionally and took some shots. This is my personal 8500AC w/HD8 lenses on my Draper Onyx M1300 92 x 52 inch viewable. PJ has the HD mod's package with CLM re-build and some very old first Gen. MP VIM and neck-boards. Resolution is 720P direct from Blue Ray @60Hz, no scaler. I am basically very happy with the pic from this machine, and it looks much better in person of course.
It's nothing fancy, it's basically me sitting on my couch and pointing at the screen with the camera in my hands, no tri-pod as I don't own one. Camera is a $125. Canon A720 set to "TV mode" which is basically just flash off and "shutter priority". I'm not sure what that means but I think it sets the shutter to the fastest speed possible so you don't see the beam-retrace. Anyway, I think it shows CRT's awesome black levels, natural flesh tones, good colors etc. I wish I had taken some shots of outdoor scenes but my wife was getting annoyed as I kept interrupting the show.

M8500AC @720P.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.14 KB
 Viewed:  20301 Time(s)

M8500AC @720P.JPG

M8500AC @720P (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.79 KB
 Viewed:  20301 Time(s)

M8500AC @720P (2).JPG

Last edited by draganm on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
radar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: vertical line width on 96" or 100" screen with mod Reply with quote

Hi there,

Could I ask draganm to please measure the width of a line on the standard Marquee 8500 cross hatch pattern on your projector screen when its setup for 1080p. What size screen do you have? Ideally, take a close up photo of the line as well. This way myself and any future purchaser will know what to expect after the mods. If the lines are still fat, then there is something else we haven't done in the setup. This way, anyone who measures their own line width can see if they are close to spec or too fat. With a closeup picture of the line, we can see how sharp the line itself is. If we think we are close to spec and STILL not happy, then we should perhaps be thinking of a 9500? How much sharper (or thinner) will 144/145 lenses make to these lines? 10%?

Cheers,

Radar.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each screen size and distance to the screen makes that hard to determine. The closer the PJ to the Screen with is a certain range the smaller the line width then as you move further out the line widths increase. Its not a real determining factor. However line movement or shake is reduced for sure, I have seen this personally and convergence drift is all but eliminated. I have seen this on my own tests with the same changes drags makes.

There is just too many variables to consider with line width, one for example is age of tube,HV power supply age etc.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
radar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Athanasios,

I realise moving the pj closer to the screen etc will make a difference to line width, however, what I'm getting is that one cannot determine factory spec on how sharp and defined a PJ should be. So... if a new Marquee 8500 PJ was setup to factory spec for a 96 or 100 inch screen (ie, exactly the correct distance as quoted in the PJ setup guide) at 1080p, you would have an exact measurement of width of line and line edge shape. So with an older PJ, we then know that if we setup our PJ to factory distance from a 96 or 100" screen, we know what we are aiming for in width and sharpness. Then, at least we can start isolating and changing things (magnetic adjustments, tubes, boards, HV supply, etc). Also, if we already have a great setup, then we know that we cannot achieve less line width at factory spec (without mods like new lenses etc).

Cheers,
Radar
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I have been meaning to try and do. Take pics of test patterns before/after @1080P. I have just been way to busy to do it, and even the screen shots above were quick and dirty point and shoots.
I know for a fact line width gets smaller but also suspect spot shape (Astig) is improved after re-capping the stig amp but I haven't tested this yet either. Hopefully within the next few weeks, I'll concentrate on the Green or Red cross-hatch. It will most likely be plain old HD8 lenses though because that's what's on my test-mule shooting on 80" wide screen.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feedback - Vision 1 in Ontario with full HD mod's and CLM re-build

Quote:
Hi Dragan.
At Last My theater is close to completion. The picture looks great. I did a full set up over the weekend and other than the Auto convergence device not working (to many signals?) I got great results. Did not have to ajust to much from center and the color looked great. Still will have to do some minor tweeking and set some preset inputs but it is good to go.
Thanks for all your help ,I feal that I am an actual CRT tech all over again . Interesting comparison to a Digital projector (older sony Lcos unit that was suppose to be pritty good for its day did not even hold a candle to the CRT. About the only thing that is good about digital units you do not have to converge them but other than that they have a lot of problems .
Very happy with the results.
Sincerely
Stephen
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to take good screen shots so this is from Paul in WI with a standard 8500. I actually sold this machine to him back in the day and was able to do the HD mod's on it recently as well as fix a synch issue on the CLM (needed re-capping). 1080P at 60hz direct from Oppo player to Moome V1.3 MP modded card. Anyone who says 1080P doesn't look good on an 8 inch machine just needs to chill-out. Wink
a follow up feedback
Quote:
I just watched Armageddon in 1080p! I never saw it in the theater but I felt like I just did! Even a 12 year old movie can look great. The close up shots of peoples faces are very clear and detailed even with my novice set up, this is a huge upgrade from what I was watching before. Worth every penny I've spent...so far! Smile

Pauls 8500 @1080P.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.36 KB
 Viewed:  19733 Time(s)

Pauls 8500 @1080P.jpg

Pauls 8500-2 @1080P.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.23 KB

Pauls 8500-2 @1080P.jpg

Pauls 8500-3 @1080P.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.43 KB

Pauls 8500-3 @1080P.jpg

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wonder if my Marquee REALLY needs the HD mod's?"
Oh I dunno, do any of your tubes put out a picture like this Surprised
Boards from Customers 9500LC I just got in, Green neck board has seen better days.

IMG_2049.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.86 KB
 Viewed:  19450 Time(s)

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.57 KB
 Viewed:  19450 Time(s)

IMG_2047.JPG

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: New VIM project Reply with quote

This is something I've had on my to-do list for quite some time. To play around with a stock 02 VIM and see what kind of gains can be made with some simple upgrades. As before with HD mod's, my intention was to come up with something reliable that could
1) be offered at a low price
2)offer some modest improvements, and
3) be done expeditiously with good turn around time

Step 1) I started with the most obvious thing was to use the sync on Green circuit disable posted here in the "advanced procedures" section. Also, to carry on the same philosophy further disable the sync buffering section of the optional MSD board when fed from the RGB ports, this is how s-video or comp. would be sent from a switcher. Lastly, to de-populate the entire audio section. I have never seen either of these used before and they're real dinosaur circuits.

I sat down over lunch with an EE from work and we went over the 7 pages of schematics that make up the marquee VIM. As you might imagine 1 hours isn't nearly enough time to go in depth on something as complex as the MArquee VIM but it was enough to discuss some of the key points. The gains from the audio section removal are questionable because even though it's a completely useless circuit it is very, very well isolated from the video chain with only a single variable feedback line to processor U10. However, U10 also also handles digital signals from CLM for Brightness, contrast, and video drive converting them to an analog signal eventually sent to the tubes so . My EE friend referred to the audio section as a "benign tumor" but popping off SMD caps as well as switch U36 and attenuator U37 is so quick I decided to go ahead and do it.

Finally, a general upgrade of the cheap solid Tant's used by the factory. I chose a mix of either very low ESR Tantalums or Aluminum SMD. the latter is a new and pretty exciting product from Panasonic the EEE-FP series.
Quote:
The Panasonic EEE-FP Series SMT Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors feature ESR values of only 60mΩ in the G-case size and 80mΩ max over the capacitor lifetime (2000hrs at +105șC) for the F-case size. These very low ESR values enable a ripple current of 1190mA at 100kHz/+105șC. Panasonic offers the FP Series electrolytic capacitors in voltage ranges from 6.3V to 50V and capacitance values ranging from 10”F to 1800”F.
A supplementary advantage of the Panasonic FP series is the capacitors ' ability to withstand higher soldering temperatures for lead-free reflow soldering. Devices up to 6.3mm in diameter can survive peak temperatures of +260șC.

things on the to-do list

step 2 )This leaves the removal of Relays 2,4, and 6, the Quad decoder, followed by bridging of pins 6 to 14 to by-pass the relay. Again, this benign tumor is a very high quality piece and I doubt any noise is introduced here but the signal chain length can be shortened which always a good thing.
Also, to replace the CL449 buffer / amp at U11,17, and 23 with a slightly more capable EL5166. Anyway, as usual here are some of my perfectly awful screen shots which none the less show the modest but noticeable results of step 1 from above. This is a standard air coupled 8500 with HD8 lenses at 1080P -60Hz.

Description:
 Filesize:  37.47 KB
 Viewed:  19063 Time(s)

Description:
 Filesize:  50.78 KB

Test Pattern before.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  47 KB

Test Pattern before.JPG

test pattern After.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.71 KB

test pattern After.JPG

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feedback: Sarah with a Marquee 8000 to fully modded 8500 conversion/upgrade. This is a very reasonable option for folks with Marquee 8000's or even 8110's with good tubes upgrade to a full 8500. All parts are plug and play except for a slightly more involved swap of the focus coils (not close to high voltage).

Quote:
Just to let you know I have installed everything ok and did a full setup yesterday. Everything is working fine.
The picture is absolutely fantastic, much better focus and better all round picture.
Thanks,
sarahstaar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been thinking about buying a new non crt projector because the image I was getting was not that good anymore, I thought it was because my tubes needed changing, 12,000 hours….

Before the mods if there was a lot of peek white on the screen or if I put the white test pattern up the white image was very uneven. Now the white image is even!!

The focus especially around the edge of the screen it spot on!!! I am amazed at the difference these mods have made, it is like having a new projector…
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Sarah for the kind words. Peak white can be tricky even for an 8500 that isn't in tip-top shape. On the older 8000's it never really happened as the old VIM lacked Blue gamma tracking. It was a pleasure getting your MArquee in peak form, only wish I could say the same for my bicycle racing LOL. Smile

Some more feedback from Mike with a 9500LC. Did the HD modo's one this one a while back but recently did some mild upgrades to the VIM to fix a noisy synch issue and the VDC "line fix tech bulletin" VDCDS0002.

Quote:
parts arrived just before noon. i carefully re-installed and everything works great.
thanks for the tip on the brightness. i was at 66, now 31.
thanks.
if you want to use my contact information as a reference please do so. i would be happy to pass my experiences along to anyone who wants to know about my success with your work.
thanks for helping to keeps the beasts alive.
md
sarahstaar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi draganm, just sent you a PM about my mods
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: