Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Connection problem with Dell 3200MP

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Connection problem with Dell 3200MP Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
HI,
I have problems to get a signal from my Blu-ray player (Samsung BD-P2500) when I use the HDMI out put on the Dell projector 3200MP.
It works perfectly when using the RGB or Video composite out put but not at all with the HDMI one.
The Dell 3200MP is supposed to accept 1080i.
The Blu-ray player is set on 1080i definition on the HDMI out put.
All signal are going through an AV receiver Onkyo TX-SR606 set up for a maximum of 1080i on the HDMI out put.

I have tried several solutions but never been able to overcome the problem.

I also realised that Dell is using a M1-DA socket which does not make easy to comply with other DVI or HDMI cables. At the moment I am using only cable supllied by Dell which is a RGB at one end and a M1-DA at the other end.
I also have a DVI/M1-DA Dell cable.

What do you recommend and which experience do you have with your solution????
I have read a lot about the HDCP compliance issues and the HD Fury solution but I have little hope that it works with Dell projector.

Hope you can give me some good news. Wink

Cheers

Patrick
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the forum.

When you say RGB do you mean component? Also sometimes labeled as YPbPr, YCbCr or YUV.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI AnalogRocks,
yes indeed. What I call RGB is a YUV component socket.

Nice to read from you later.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just to let you know RGB and YUV are two differnt signal types. They aren't compatible so I just wanted to make sure which one you had.

Since you already have the YUV cables I would recommend the HDFury2, set to YUV output. You can add RCA couplers if necessary to connect the HDFury2 to the YUV/M1 cable on your projector.

RCAtoRCA_coupler_gold.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.74 KB
 Viewed:  13394 Time(s)

RCAtoRCA_coupler_gold.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine.
Are you saying that using the HD Fury 2 I will be able to get on my Dell projectors all fonctions of the HDMI out put of both the Blue Ray player and the Onkyo Receiver???

Can you also explain why the HD fury2 is more appropriate than the standard HD Fury???

Sorry to ask you all these questions but it has been now 3 years that I have been looking for a solution and so far you are the only personn that seams to know what she is talking about.....

Looking forward for next reading.

Patrick
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I am saying. It should work just fine providing you curently have YUV working.

Do you get a good picture from the YUV input on your projector now? What resolution are you using now?

The HDFury2 will give you an HDMI input for your projector, coupled to the existing YUV cables.

So you would have the
Samsung2500----HDMI-----Onkyo------HDFury2=RCAcouplers==YUV/M1cable==Dell3200

I'm not sure if your Samsung has the resolution bug that the other lesser units have. The Samsung 1400 and Samsung 1600 both check the EDID of the display EVERY time you power them on. The result is they will send a 1080p signal because they see the HDFury2 as a 1080p TV. ( think of the HDFury2 as a TV with a VGA port instead of a screen ) Most other DVD/Bluray players will remember the HDMI settings after you set them once. Some of the Samsungs check EVERY time you power them up. THis means to watch a movie you have to go into the menu and change it back to 1080i every time you want to use it.

Again, I'm not sure if this affects the 2500.

You may consider ordering an HDFury2 and having joustmods.com reprogram the EDID for 1080i maximum BEFORE getting it shipped to you. This way if your Samsung does have the resolution bug it won't annoy you.

Jeremy

P.S. I'm a he not a SHE a Das nicht a Die Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi man,
sorry for the confusion and I should have got it right first time: Clockwork Orange is not very typical female! So you are a Der and not a Die. No Problem. By the way I am French and not German. Well, no body is perfect.
One point for every body.....

Well first thank you for the detailed explaination.

The current set up using the YUV socket is giving a very good image at the moment.
My current spec is as follow:

Samsung2500----YUV-----Onkyo------YUV/M1cable==Dell3200
DVD are sent with a maximum of 576p/480i
Blu ray are sent with a maximum of 1080i

Satellite receiver----Composite-----Onkyo------Composite==Dell3200
Signal is sent at 576i

The benefit to use the HDMI socket is that what ever type of signal is entering in the Onkyo ( Composite, YUV, S Video, DVI) the receiver will up scale it to 1080i and send it to the projector via the HDMI out put. It means for me that I can see the Satellite TV in a better definition: Very important for Rugby games or Foot Ball games (Socker as you would say). It means aslo that all DVD will come with the definition of 1080i.
It also limits the number of cables between all the devices

Could you tell exactly the products I need to buy??
I need to make sure it will work first time....

Thanks again for your help it is highly appreciated on this side of the Atlantic. Thumbs Up

Cheers

Patrick
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy,
I have just received the HD Fury 2 and pluged it as you recommended

Samsung2500----HDMI-----Onkyo------HDFury2=RCAcouplers==YUV/M1cable==Dell3200

but unfortunately it does not work.

The YUV connection I was using is still working but when I used the HDMI connection the Dell projector does not recognise any signal any more. I checked that the out put is 1080i from the Onkyo receiver (the Dell projector does not take 1080p) but no image.

Is there any thing you can tell????

Thanks in advance

Patrick
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your HDFury2 is set to YUV on the side switch, use the power supply and have that plugged in before turning anything else on.

Did the blue light come on in the HDFury2? If so then there's an HDMI link happening. You may have to go into the menu of your Samsung and turn off 24fps and douple check the 1080i setting.

CRT.

HD done right!
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
thanks for your feed back. I have done all what you said but no result. The projector still does not get the signal or does not recognise it. It is also bringing some trouble with the Onkyo receiver. After a few seconds ( may be 20 s) it switches off the HDMI out put. I can see that because the sound is cut off. When I disconnect the HD Fury2 and get back to the previous YUV connection it is all perfectly working. For info I am using the HDMI connection between the BluRay player and the Receiver for the sound and hopefully for the video too.
There is definitely something that does not work in the set up with the HD Fury2. I start to wonder if that was the wrong decision to buy one........

Sorry for the bad mood but it seams that the solutuon is not working for the moment. Crying or Very sad
Do you have any chance to replicate my current set up and check on your own what is going on????

Desparate Patrick
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have been checking several options using both the YUV and the RGB cables supplied by Dell for the projector on the HD Fury 2 ( taking care of the position of the YUV/RGB selector on the side) but still without any success. I really think that Dell projectors have a set up that cannot be cracked with any other material that the ones they supply.
I aslso noticed, as mentioned in my previous email, that the Onkyo does not like the HD Fury 2 as well and cut the sound off systematically after a few seconds. When the sound is OK I can see the blue light on the HD Fury2 but still no recognition of any signal by the projector.

When I revert to the normal set up:
Samsung2500----YUV-----Onkyo------YUV/M1cable==Dell3200

there is no image problem at all.

For the sound I use the following set up:
Samsung2500----HDMI-----Onkyo

I would really appreciate if you can give me some advice. In worse case I will have to send back ( with regret) the HD Fury 2 to Curt Palm because it does not solve my problem.

I hope you can help me.

Regards

Patrick
Patrick_F

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy,
I have tried to connect the Samsung BluRay player directly with the HD Fury 2 without going through the Onkyo receiver.
The set up was:
Samsung2500----HDMI-----HDFury2=RCAcouplers==YUV/M1cable==Dell3200

I made sure that the Samsung HDMI out put was on 1080i (I also tried with 480p) and that the HD Fury 2 was set on YUV. The HD Fury 2 was powered first and then the other devices. The Blue light of the HD Fury was on so it means it was getting the signal from the Samsung.
Result is that the Dell projector still does not recognise any signal (at any resolution) and leave the screen blue or with a searching in put message.

I reverted to the standard connection

Samsung2500----YUV-----Onkyo------YUV/M1cable==Dell3200 for the video
Samsung2500----HDMI-----Onkyo------Speakers for the audio
Image and sound are working perfectly still at a lower resolution ( 480p for DVD and 1080i for Blu ray)

I checked some other Curt Palme forums and realised that there is a number of issues similar to mine with other devices. I checked which version is the HD Fury 2 I have and it is the 1.51 as mentioned in the other forums.

Well, to be honest I am not really prepare to spend more money in adding other devices to try to correct the problem. I still believe that the Dell socket M1-DA is more than a challenge and , except if you give me evidence that a HDMI signal could get recognised by this particular projector 3200MP, I am going to send back the HD Fury 2 and claim my money back.

I want to thank you for your time and effort and still would like you to give me a positive answer but my hope is drying off very quickly now.

Last hint of hope. Sad

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: