Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPL-HS10 Cineza Set-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scdg124

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Sony VPL-HS10 Cineza Set-up Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
First question. Since I am only going to be using this with a PS3 and a XBOX360, do I set them both up to 720P or do I set them up to 1080I and let the Sony downconvert?

Second Question. What's the rule of thumb on component cable run lengths? How long is too long?

I am still keeping my 9PGXtra...I'm just dabbling with the digitals.

Ridebreck

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed my Mits 720p from my PS3 simply because I trust the PS3's scaling and I want all of the scaling to take place in one place. As for the cable, I've been running around 23 feet with no problems.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what Matt says.

First, 1080i->720p is not JUST a downconvert. It is either:
1) A sophisticated deinterlace followed by a downconvert.
2) An upconvert to 720p from the 540 field.

Basically, I'd be willing to bet the HS10 is number 2 as it is VERY old (even though it cost alot back then). Since the source is downconverting from the digital 1080p, you can bet it does a damn better job than the VERY old PJ.

One other wrinkle though. The HS10 is actually 1366x768, so it has to convert EVERY signal you send it. Not good at all. If you want to dabble with digitals, you can get some very nice last gen 720p digitals with 1:1 pixel mapping.

Please, draw no conclusion about what a digital "looks like" from the HS10. You can get used PJs for $300 that look much better. You can get ones for $600 that simply blow it away. I know people thought the HS10 was a bargain when it came out (because it was 1/3 the price of a CRT), but it really is crap. Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
scdg124

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has taken some time for me to like this projector. I 'm thinking of also using it for a backyard set-up also. It is ok for the gaming, but when I run it side-by-side with the NEC, it's flaws stand out quick.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scdg124 wrote:
It is ok for the gaming, but when I run it side-by-side with the NEC, it's flaws stand out quick.

I guess you did not read my post! Comparing this to the NEC is just plain silly. When it was released reviewers were basically "it is not nearly as good as a CRT, but it costs $10,000 and the CRT costs over $30,000 so its a bargain!".

Basically, comparing the HS10 to the NEC is very simply comparing one of the worst home theater digitals every made to one of the best CRTs. You are literally comparing a 1979 Honda Civic to a 1995 Porsche 911 and conclude that the Civic has many obvious flaws! Gee thanks Captain Obvious!!!!

But digitals are now cheap, you can now do a very nice looking digital CIH set up for under $1500. One that pretty much everyone but a few die hards would pick over a CRT. You might look at those to see if it tickles your fancy.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
scdg124

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to descibe how I felt when I first turned on the Sony (really couldn't believe how bad the "screen door " could be), to playing with the Sony for a while (slightly defocusing it to try and get rid of the screen door), to turning on the NEC after watching movies and playing games for a few weeks and getting used to the Sony. It does the job for gaming without putting hours on the NEC, its portable for maybe taking outside this summer, and it was cheap.

There are some things we would rather try in the Civic than the Porsche. I could not imagine trying to recalibrate the NEC for a 16 ft wide outdoor screen.

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scdg124 wrote:
I meant to descibe how I felt when I first turned on the Sony (really couldn't believe how bad the "screen door " could be)

Again, this is function of the technology. LCD has the largest interpixel spacing of any technology because the control wires must run between the pixels.

DLP is substantially better and LCoS is even better than that.

A last gen 720p DLP (DC3) will have substantially less screen door. I'm running a DC3 chip machine in a CIH set up. 2.39:1 movies are 9.5' wide and the primary viewing location is 11' (which is right in most standardards "optimal" scope viewing distance). I have VERY slight defocus and screen door is almost never visible (only on pure white and if looking for it). Even with defocus, the picture is still a small small bit sharper than my last CRT. Projectors like this can be picked up today from $500. The HS10 was litterally a first gen home theater projector. For $500, you can get a respectable picture from a machine that is 5 generations newer in technology. And it will be a picture that will simply blow away the HS10.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: