Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

RTC 2200 added to 1272 & Crystalimage 4.0 Any advantage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WESTW

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: RTC 2200 added to 1272 & Crystalimage 4.0 Any advantage? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Sony 1272 to which I have recently added a Crystalimage VS 4.0. Once I added the Crystalimage, which I am running at 720P, I never dreamed the picture could look as good as it does. From what I read the it seems it would make a real difference, but I thought I would defer to more experienced hands. If it will make a significant difference then where should I run it; in between the DVD and the Crystalimage or between the Crystalimage and the pj. I await your words of wisdom.

Thanks
Bill[/b]
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is you want to dial in some low level gamma? In that case I would put it right before the projector. When you are useing the RGB output of the Crystalimage and you are not interested in the component transcoding you can save yourself some money by using the BUF2000, it goes from RGB to RGB and does gamma.

Kim

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

What are you using the CrystalImage scaler for? That's a pretty old beast and the built-in scalers found in cheap Blu-ray and DVD players today does as good or even a better job than that scaler.

If you want to add Gamma boost I'd suggest something like this:

Source device -> HDMI cable -> HDfury2 (or HDFury1 if you're on a budget) -> RTC2200 -> RGBHV cable -> Sony 1272

That's exactly what I do (RTC2200 and all). The Blu-ray player (PS3) feeds the HDfury2 for Blu-ray and DVD playback, and the HD-PVR goes into the RTC2200 component inputs for HDTV/regular TV.

RTC2200 give both a nice (much needed) gamma boost and does the switching between the two, plus lets you set the sync, drives the long RGBHV cable nicely, etc!

I did this exact same setup (HDfury1 instead of HDfury2) on my Barco 800 - a projector that is identical in specs/performance to your 1252. I was very happy with the setup. Kim makes a great little box (which the entire reason we started promoting it here).

If you're wondering how far off your gamma is, try measuring it. I give instructions and examples using my CRT projector in m 'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' guide here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Now if you need to run older sources like VHS or laser disk then keep the CrystalImage. Otherwise I suggest you simplify and try and sell it for a few bucks.

Other Links:

Hdfury1: www.curtpalme.com/Hdfury1.shtm
Hdfury2: www.curtpalme.com/Hdfury2.shtm
RTC2200: www.curtpalme.com/RTC2200.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WESTW

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: This is all I need? Reply with quote

Kal,
I used to have a 1042Q and it died a while ago. I just got the 1272Q after not having one for a while.
I have a Sony 875P 300+1 changer with a progressive output which I ran to the Pj. It looked great compared to what I was use to before. Then I got the Crystalimage off ebay for $100.00. It has turned out to be a real improvement. After getting all the levels balanced between the Pj and the CI I honestly think it looks as good as or better than my TV on a 8 ft diagonal. Now let me apologize for my ignorance. So what your saying is that with the RTC 2200 I will get a better picture with the added benefit of updated electronics and the Gamma boost. I'm all for anything that will give me a better picture, but I'm not rich either. I could do the RTC 2200. Let me know and thanks again for your help.

BILL
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: This is all I need? Reply with quote

WESTW wrote:
Kal,
I used to have a 1042Q and it died a while ago. I just got the 1272Q after not having one for a while.
I have a Sony 875P 300+1 changer with a progressive output which I ran to the Pj. It looked great compared to what I was use to before.

Ok, so that progressive player will give you 480p into the projector. Scanlines will be seen so you'll need to scale them.

Quote:
Then I got the Crystalimage off ebay for $100.00. It has turned out to be a real improvement.

Sure. You've probably got the scaler set to 720p output? That would be better than 720 and hide the scanlines you were getting before.

Quote:
Now let me apologize for my ignorance. So what your saying is that with the RTC 2200 I will get a better picture with the added benefit of updated electronics and the Gamma boost. I'm all for anything that will give me a better picture, but I'm not rich either. I could do the RTC 2200. Let me know and thanks again for your help.

The RTC2200 will give you that gamma boost you probably need (I've yet to a see a CRT projector that didn't benefit from it).

You probably don't have a calibration meter, but if you can borrow one or decide to buy one, you can find out far off your gamma is by using my 'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' guide here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: