Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Pandora.com internet music

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Pandora.com internet music Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is anyone else using this? A guy from work told me about it yesterday and I started using it today. It's pretty cool. You type in one of your favorite bands and then it utilizes the music genome project to play music in the genre of this band. I have been listening at work today and have been hearing a few songs that I have forgotten about. They also have an app for mobile phones.
Dan
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all the rage! I use it on my iPhone once in awhile. Audio quality is so-so, so I don't listen with headphones much or sit in the living room and listen to it or anything. Of course, I have a massive library of (purchased) music... So, there isn't much I want I don't have already. Wink

Interesting tidbit. My cousin has his own band (has for 15 years)... He says nobody in his segment of the industry (indie/regional) is making any money selling music anymore... Only the biggies are making money, and even they have taken huge hits. He said they sell a tiny percentage of the CDs they used to sell, and many of the bands on his label are the same. He said they used to sell 800 CDs at a CD release party. A couple of months ago they did a CD release party... Just as big, just as promoted, just as many fans... They sold 80 CD's. Shocked

He claims that between Pandora and online filesharing, nobody buys music anymore, and as result, the only thing they make any good money doing anymore is playing live shows (200 shows/year!). I pointed out that one other thing that was different is that people spread their disposable income around on a lot more sh*t than we used to 15 years ago... Now, people spending money on DVD's, Blu-rays, PS3/360/Wii games ($60!!!), HD satellite, broadband, and wireless phones. I pointed out that even college students like we were 15-20 years ago used to be a CD once a week. Now, the kiddies are spending $50-75/mo on their wireless phone plans alone. He said he hadn't even though about that stuff.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to Pandora a lot on my PC (w/ nice but not killer speakers) when I'm working. It's a great way to find out about new music you didn't know about before.

But yeah, I bet it's a lot harder to make a living in the music biz these days. Not only are people buying fewer CDs, when they DO buy music they tend to buy it a track at a time. Now instead of a $15 CD they're selling a $1 track. Gotta be a lower return to the artist in that.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to it for a couple years I guess. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer AVR and Infinity speakers. Its on most of the time when I'm online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: