Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Continued Blending of the Longbow's & Now 9 " Swap!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Athanasios, i havent readet whole thread. But you have troubles to get good colorbalance ?
Trye this (I dont know what TSE thinks about this)
Remove those variable capīs + resistors from vim (doesend hurt because you can put those back again if this is not help)
Mark those wich was from red, green etc.. because those are probably trimmed per channel.

After you have removed those, check if you can get good colorbalance.

I tested to do that same mod (variable cap + 10 ohm parallel to FB-resistor) and i noticed that colorbalance was near impossible to get perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2Rtpr1njs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZP9FEFXV5c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j065vei6j6s
http://www.facebook.com/pages/JTS-Racing-team/204443719572685
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jarmo for the suggestion, I don't think it would be that, I don't think Scott would not test color balance after something like that. plus i still need to test it on my second PJ. Hmmm....?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Thanks jarmo for the suggestion, I don't think it would be that, I don't think Scott would not test color balance after something like that. plus i still need to test it on my second PJ. Hmmm....?

Athanasios

just put in an earlier version 02 VIM, and that should verify what Jarmo has said.

over the years I've modified about 8 of those later version VIMs. One of the reason some of them were sent to me was also a complaint about color balance.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

just put in an earlier version 02 VIM, and that should verify what Jarmo has said.

over the years I've modified about 8 of those later version VIMs. One of the reason some of them were sent to me was also a complaint about color balance.

I have an 02 and 03 vim i could try , but i love the resolving power of these!! I hope i find out it's not the Vim Wink

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just swap them between the 2 projectors and see of the problem moves?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Today i am going to try to calibrate the second PJ(on the Right) and see what i come up with. i am also going to use the non Spectracal issued probe i have. The main issue i have is if lowering the brightness I loose blue it seems as the grey goes green. it seems like the circuit that adds contrast and bright to the signal on the Vim isn't compensating correctly is that what you found in your repairs MP? But i'll know more after i tackle PJ #2 and also use a different source i am sure can be calibrated (BH100)

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Today i am going to try to calibrate the second PJ(on the Right) and see what i come up with. i am also going to use the non Spectracal issued probe i have. The main issue i have is if lowering the brightness I loose blue it seems as the grey goes green. it seems like the circuit that adds contrast and bright to the signal on the Vim isn't compensating correctly is that what you found in your repairs MP? But i'll know more after i tackle PJ #2 and also use a different source i am sure can be calibrated (BH100)

Athanasios

Not sure why, but one of the main problems with peaking circuits is tracking problems. raising and lowering the brightness is the test for this.

a more precise test would be to use an external step pattern, and do so at the highest scan rate you'll most likely be seeing the problems shows up better at the higher scan rates.

when raising and lowering the brightness, the transition should be stepless or so smooth you'll not notice flashing or flickering.

Parasitic oscillation also causes this same problem. So maybe the peaking caps needs to be calibrated..
JorisS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense but there are way too few pictures in this thread Wink

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember who it was who had weird black level issues recent?? Mr. Green Me. I had to use 2035-02p vim to get rid all "brightness elevation" problems.. proper colorbalance was easiest to get with non modded 2035-02p vim.. Then i decidet to test that variable cap mod to that non modded vim-> troubles with colorbalance again. Those BW boosting things seems to made allkind of weird issues to low end (dark parts)
Mine acted that way when picture had much bright parts then blue background elevated, with testpictures i got pretty good results ( 10,20,,,,100 ire fields) but with real material blue background was "moving" along picture content.

Edit. here is two pictures how my projector behawed when i had those problems with my blue..
Notice that another picture contrast is lower and colorbalance is pretty ok and second picture contrast is higher and that made background bluish..
Those horisontal bars are from camera..

vim col bal problem 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.96 KB
 Viewed:  8883 Time(s)

vim col bal problem 2.JPG

vim col bal problem 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.1 KB
 Viewed:  8883 Time(s)

vim col bal problem 1.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2Rtpr1njs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZP9FEFXV5c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j065vei6j6s
http://www.facebook.com/pages/JTS-Racing-team/204443719572685
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Also might try the moome cards and swap them first. but it sounds like what MP is saying. when I lower the brightness the second square from the top on the
DVE pluge pattern goes green , on my other PJ it does not. Contrast does not affect this from what I remeber. I am at my restaurant now but will go home soon and I'll take some pics showing the problem. I redid the magnets and set up so its not blended but we can still look at the color issue on the one PJ, I did a very rough convergence on it to so there is banding i need to resolve but for this conversation a perfect convergence shouldn't matter.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Athanasios

that's why I had mine on my 2004 VIM removed from the start.

I do get much better performance from the 02 VIM.

Michael
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys its the Vim, swapped them around and also the moome cards and it follows the vim.

Scott what can i do to get this right? since these were never installed could i send it to VDC or you to look at? i think it might need calibrating like MP
suggested. i could try it here if you give me what direction to take i have a scope. what should i look for? It happens on internal patterns also so I am not sure its the peaking circuit since the internal patters do not go though that first RGB op Amps? could it be the MC34084 that controls the bright and contrast?
or possible the AD835 on one channel. if i raise the brightness it goes red if I lower the contrast it goes green, so it seems like the blue is not getting the proper amount of brightness or possibly contrast.

EDIT: Just checked each individual color and the reaction to ramping brightness, no reaction on green it stays as is . so the green channel is out on the brightness. i have some of those chips i can try.

EDIT#2: After looking over the schematics i took out my multimeter and removed the vim and found that D15 has different diode readings and resistance compared to the other diodes for the red and blue. this may be the culprit.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I changed D15 and it was not that so I am leaning towards U9 a TL084 op amp. off to lunch now will investigate more later or wait for someone else to suggest something else on the board it could be.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well replaced op amp U9 and no luck the same thing and now i messed up the Coax cable, I think, since i got no green signal at all, swapping cables confirmed it. this keeps getting worse ! Wink

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove the three 1.5 meg resistors (tech bulletin fix).
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, Mike? I'm just about to ADD those 3 resistors, hoping to get rid of the faint line. Are you saying they hurt other things?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
remove the three 1.5 meg resistors (tech bulletin fix).

Its not the resistors. My other VIM works fine. I tracked it down to the Octal DAC 8840FS.
I used my extender card and first measure at the test points TP5, TP6, and TP7 while ramping he brightness.
all voltages moved except TP6, the Greens. So i measured right off pin 12 of the DAC and there was no
voltage movement.

I have a few of the older 2006-03p Vims and one is dead so i am going to remove that DAC and put it on the
Vim with the fault. if it works I'll order a newer version of that DAC 8840FS

EDIT: new chip is 19 bucks but no one sells them individually!!! Hope the Old Vim Chip works.
Scott think you can snag me one from VDC? Wink

Athnaasios

One Smart Dog!!!

tse

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin 12 should move right along with pins 11 and 13. There is a problem if it doesn't. Believe it or not VDC doesn't stock replacement parts. We buy the assembled boards from an assembly house and have to send bad cards back to them for repair. I can probably snag one from a scrap board if you can't get one.

Scott

Thomas Jefferson
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tse wrote:
Pin 12 should move right along with pins 11 and 13. There is a problem if it doesn't. Believe it or not VDC doesn't stock replacement parts. We buy the assembled boards from an assembly house and have to send bad cards back to them for repair. I can probably snag one from a scrap board if you can't get one.

Scott

yeah actually all the voltages are different on the pins. And no movement on pin 12. Will
the DAC8840 from the olde 2006-03p Vim work ok? its obviously and older chip
but its the same operational i would assume.

have you seen that dac go bad like this before on a Bran new board?

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

tse

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good chip from an old board will work fine. That isn't a high failure item. Not something that I see broke very often.

scott

Thomas Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22
Jump to: