Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SONY VPH-1292Q STREAKING PROBLEM SOLVED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Interested in purchasing upgrade?
Yes
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 49

RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I am currently working with "Speedyandre", he offered to do the preliminary field testing and post his findings. I do appreciate you response however must decline your offer at this time. I will however keep your offer in mind if any additional testing is required.

Thanks,
John

grogthegreat wrote:
RoqueChili: How much time would it take for a swap? If people want to see before and after pictures on someone else's machine than I have a setup sony 1292 in Norfolk MA which is a 1 1/2 hour drive. I don't have the extra cash for the mod but feel free to come over to take before and after pics. This way you won't have to ship anything and you can do the install yourself so you know it is done right.

There are some potential problems in that my green tube has a spot where the phosphor is delaminating from the tube face. This leaves a blob on the screen where you can't focus the green which then makes things in that circle greener than it should be. I don't know if will mess up any before/after pics.
Also of note is that I'm running the pj off of a HTPC filled with HD movies. I don't have a blueray player or any other HD source I do have gamma adjustment but without a colormeter I had to set the greyscale and colors by eye which, while good, aren't perfect.

On the plus side, I do have noticeable streaking. If you are considering this than let me know and I'll post a pic.
Cheers,
-Greg D.
grogthegreat

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I'm glad that the testing is being done. I look forward to seeing the results.
-Greg

100" 3:4 draper screen.

I must keep upgrading till the voices stop!!

"I CAN HAZ CRT PRUJEKTER."
-Curt Palme
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope all goes well for this mod after the last stupid debarcle on AVS. It is nice that someone finally is able to back up a claim.

I suggest you all jump on the wagon and buy this if its available as who knows if there will ever be a second run of PCB's Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested! By the way Graham, thanks again for selling me that red tube neckboard to get my 1292Q back up to snuff a couple of years ago!
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally received the box with the modded neckboards in it and I got a god damn high customs fee too Twisted Evil
Is there any favourit scene on blu-ray that I can test?
The one I've posted from 5th Element is ok and also scrolling titles on a black background show the streaking very well.
I think I'll place all the modded boards in one time to get a good idea of the whites not streaking anymore.

André

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made new version of my streaking test pattern, this time 1920x1080 png format.

Take pics from tube face through lens, from screen it's hard to capture streaking with camera.
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try this pic on my PS3 if I know how to Embarassed
When I put pics on an usbstick the PS3 doesn't see them, maybe they need to be in some directory?
Also some input about using my Spyder 2 for measurements to show the difference between modded and normal neckboards is welcome Wink
I think the Spyder 2 sensor is not very good with low IRE values.

André

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Guys,

I hope Speedyandre gets a great experience from these neckboards.. if he approves, I'll be among the first to order a set. maybe Andre can help me put them in..

I will be moving into my new home at the end of the month, with a dedictated HT room Smile
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's only ~20 fellow 1292Qers on this whole forum?! By the way, who the hell owns a 1292Q and voted no?! If this mod works, and works well, then the 1292Q goes back on the "High Performance CRT Projectors" list, where it belongs!
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 1292 is indeed a very good performer when the streaking is gone Thumbs Up
The noise of my 1292 is less then half of a standard 1292 by changing fans to Papst and isolating them from the metal parts with blu-tack.
Next update is hd10-f lenses (expected to arrive here soon) and I'll try to find the source of some faint 50/60Hz lines that appear sometimes with bright scenes.
If I'm lucky these lines will disappear with the modified neck boards but I'm afraid it is a problem with the PS or one of the (dc) boards.
But first I need to make a test setup and measure if the modification doesn't change the normal behavior of the neck boards.
It would be nice if others can repeat the measurements to assure more consistent results.

André

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've exchanged the blue neckboard because it's red wire was not strapped to other wires.
The difference is quite clear but sometimes I still can see a very light kind of streaking in the blue tube.
At first sight there is no difference in colour or brightness but I only can confirm this with some measurements Wink
I'm sorry for the blocks, they came after resizing and compressing the pictures Embarassed

André

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the status on this? Has any adjustment to the board been made? Is this going to be available for sale?

speedyandre: anyway you could post a picture of the screen displaying just black and white please?

Cheers
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The status is testing / evaluation. This process is complicated and time consuming and I expect will take a few months to complete.

As far as a saleable product, I am skeptical at this point. The interest / demand does not justify investing in having boards made. Not to mention it is a real pain in the ass to implement in the field. Originally I was thinking this would be user installed however I now realize that is impossible for most. Field installation requires modification of the neck board (SMD technology) requiring a certain level of experience. In all practicality, the boards would have to be sent to me for modification making it inconvenient and costly for the end user. Let’s see how the field testing goes before making any decisions.

Analog_Alpha wrote:
So what is the status on this? Has any adjustment to the board been made? Is this going to be available for sale?

speedyandre: anyway you could post a picture of the screen displaying just black and white please?

Cheers
freak1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RogueChili,

if the field implementation is going well, you can count on me sending my neckboards in...
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog_Alpha wrote:

Cheers

What pattern do you like to see?

At the moment I'm working overtime, there is no time for testing except in the weekends.
Next to come is moving to another home (in august) so my current HT room will be history Confused
In my new home the living room will be used as HT.
Maybe I can find some time next weekend.
So far I can tell that the streaking almost disappears on the blue tube so that's good.
I did have a look at the modified neck boards and I agree that only an electronic engineer with the right skills and equipment can apply the mods.
The best way tot test is using modified and normal neck boards at the same time, else you can't compare them.
I think I'll place a second modified neck board with a different board version, from the 3 neck boards I've sent one was different from the others so modifying them was a bit more work.

André

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pot was on the prototype board. Its intended use was exactly your concern, stability! Varying the resistance of the pot simulated the affects of temperature changes and component tolerances. It was just to give me an idea of the stability and how well the modifications integrated with the original circuitry. Not as elegant as the mathematical solution but much less involved.

That being said, there is a slight gain decrease with temperature, however it is negligible in the acceptable working temperature of the components.

jvanderwalker wrote:
Roguechili,
I noticed a 10 turn pot on your board. Have you considered long term stability? I have a 1292 on permanent loan to a friend since I have a XG 75. Unfortunately my XG green tube cracked and I may be resurrecting the 1292. I live in the same town and I have calibration equipment. PM me if you are interested in a unbiased opinion on the circuit.
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some new pics of the same scene Smile
The blue lens or c-element could use some cleaning but I don't see the dust on the screen Wink

André

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it all works out, and it looks like it is, count me in.
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status: the mod is still in testing, there was an unforeseen development with one of Andres modified neck boards. For reasons not yet understood the blue crt goes dark after approximately one hour of use. Once that problem is resolved testing will resume.

Update: the modification has taken on new life. There are a few shortcomings with the original design concept that if addressed now will enhance the final product by simplifying the installation, increasing the efficiency of the amplifier stage, increasing compatibility with other projectors and reducing the cost. I really want to simplify the installation to the point that only simple soldering techniques are required. Honestly, I am not excited about the prospect of modifying any significant number of neck boards. I have done three sets to date, and at approximately 2 hours per, and can say I have had my fill!

The Plan: the new concept is to design a hybrid circuit, including the streaking fix and amplifier stage, that replaces the existing amplifier IC with only two additional connections to the neck board. All that is required to modify your neck board is to remove the original amplifier IC, solder the hybrid circuit in its place and solder two wires hanging off the hybrid circuit to two points on the neck board. One additional benefit of the hybrid circuit is the cooling efficiency will be improved allowing the air flow to be reduced = noise reduction.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HV-MAN wrote:
If it all works out, and it looks like it is, count me in.

Wanna do the same for my G90's? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11
Jump to: