Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SONY VPH-1292Q STREAKING PROBLEM SOLVED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Interested in purchasing upgrade?
Yes
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 49

RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Based on updated poll data the cost estimate for the upgrade kit is now $200

Clarence- I have read those complaints but in my opinion the brightness issue is the only possible valid concern. And in a well constructed home theater environment even that may be over stated. No comment on the size complaint but the noise complaint is ridiculous considering the amount of time and money invested in a home theater. I can’t imagine listening to the monotonous low dull sound of any projector / devices in the theater environment. It’s synonymous to a street light shining through the window onto your screen. It seems to me a hush box a requirement.

Draganm- That would be the price for a complete kit. A kit includes detailed installation instructions and three assembled tested pc boards. I am also looking into other PC board houses in an attempt to get the initial investment costs down.
freak1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

for 200 dollars, you can count me in as well.

Altough, i would like to know what does the mod exactly do? no use in spending money without knowing if it actually solves anything.
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mod addresses a fundamental design flaw in the video circuit that causes the so called "Streaking". Actually the negative effects on the picture quality are much worse than the streaking everyone talks about. The flaw can cause the following:

Streaking "A" - Visible horizontal lines across screen before and after bright objects on darker backgrounds (streak).
Streaking "B"- Visible horizontal lines across screen before and after dark objects on lighter backgrounds (shadow).
Signal Lose - Approx 1 percent of the signal information is potentially lost because of the design flaw- see attached.

Most importantly, I wouldn't sell this mod until it has been installed and completely tested. This equipment is extremely sophisticated and is very difficult to modify without causing unwanted side effects. Determining the cause of the problem was the easy part! Redesigning and integrating a solution was the hard part. At the frequencies involved in these neck boards a piece of wire can becomes a capacitor or worse an antenna.

Flaws.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Flaws.doc
 Filesize:  24.5 KB
 Downloaded:  574 Time(s)

freak1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm still interested, altough I am still unsure what your actual solution is. I understand the problem, just not your solution.

anyway, count me in, if someone from the forum can verify your solution is working, i'll send you my money Smile
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak1 wrote:
Hi,

I'm still interested, altough I am still unsure what your actual solution is. I understand the problem, just not your solution.

anyway, count me in, if someone from the forum can verify your solution is working, i'll send you my money Smile

I am interested in a member / 1292 owner willing to test the mods free of charge and your to keep and enjoy. Someone with a calibration system would be the best choice. The light output curves should be compared before and after the mods.

Any volunteers?
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic shows the basic mod installed. Gives an idea of what is involved to install it. Only some basic tools are required and a steady hand. The mod board has seven connections to the neck boards. The neck boards require three simple modifications (no trace cutting only part removal). The mod is designed such that it can be removed and the neck board restored to original condition with little effort.

IMG_3506.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.42 KB
 Viewed:  12927 Time(s)

IMG_3506.jpg

Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting. If I had a 1292 I would be happy to pay $200 for the mod.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
freak1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am more then willing to test your mod, problem is that my projector won't be up and running till the end of july..
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili can you take tube shot using my streaking test pattern?
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/download.php?id=1342
It shows everybody who are interested that mod actually works.

Here can be seen how non modded 1292 look like.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=78505
Nasty streak to right and bit lighter one to left.
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile wrote:
Chili can you take tube shot using my streaking test pattern?
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/download.php?id=1342
It shows everybody who are interested that mod actually works.

Here can be seen how non modded 1292 look like.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=78505
Nasty streak to right and bit lighter one to left.

That is a very strategically crafted picture; whoever put this together had a true understanding of the problem. This will show both the streak is eliminated and the contrast (small signal loss) is restored. I love it! Without the mod the bars in this test picture will not be resolved (visible).

Yes, I will remove the mod from the blue crt, take a few test shots and post.
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueChili wrote:
That is a very strategically crafted picture; whoever put this together had a true understanding of the problem. This will show both the streak is eliminated and the contrast (small signal loss) is restored. I love it! Without the mod the bars in this test picture will not be resolved (visible).
I made this picture when I was researching similar design fault in my 801s few year ago.

I was lucky and got it resolved...
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic of test material from dvd player; paused on text; projector brightness 70 contrast 80. The effect you see is happening all the time, to some degree, diminishing the overall picture quality.

crtb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.75 KB
 Viewed:  10613 Time(s)

crtb.jpg

crtg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.61 KB
 Viewed:  10611 Time(s)

crtg.jpg

Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you place the mod on all tubes?
The pictures show streaking on the blue tube and it's gone on the green tube.
But the pcb mod is installed on the blue tube ....

I'm an electronic engineer so placing the mod myself and remove some parts on the neckboard is no problem.
Making measurements is possible too with my spyder, but I do not have much calibration experience Wink
Even better, I have a spare lot of neckboards so I can exchange the boards easily Thumbs Up
Did you try to stop the neckboard fans to check if your solution is temperature dependent?

André

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedyandre wrote:

No he said he was going to remove the mod from the blue and leave it on the green to show the difference.

Look here:
RogueChili wrote:
Yes, I will remove the mod from the blue crt, take a few test shots and post.
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedyandre wrote:
The pictures show streaking on the blue tube and it's gone on the green tube.
But the pcb mod is installed on the blue tube ....

I'm an electronic engineer so placing the mod myself and remove some parts on the neckboard is no problem.
Making measurements is possible too with my spyder, but I do not have much calibration experience Wink
Even better, I have a spare lot of neckboards so I can exchange the boards easily Thumbs Up
Did you try to stop the neckboard fans to check if your solution is temperature dependent?

André

A fellow EE, looking forward to working with you! Andre, can you post a picture that clearly shows the streaking? Something similar to my post. We have to establish a reference, something to compare after the upgrade kit is installed. We’re working with a tough crowd here!
rxv3000

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in for the upgrade mint 1292 with 500 hours on factory tubes and to boot I have the HD 10f's lenses
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember exactly which movie, but in one of the Lord of Rings, the streaking really caught my eye when they were walking around in a cave and Gandolf had a bright light on the end of his walking staff. My 1292 streaked like crazy in that scene and I think most people have that movie that can reference it.

Doc
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxv3000 wrote:
count me in for the upgrade mint 1292 with 500 hours on factory tubes and to boot I have the HD 10f's lenses

Mint tubes? Sweet..
I guarantee you'll be impressed with the improvement!
mack1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 sony1292s.The main one does not streak that I've seen but I would still be interested anyway(for one)
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11
Jump to: