Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

A call to arms my brothers, regarding Sony. (read this!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: A call to arms my brothers, regarding Sony. (read this!) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A bunch of you that have been following high end projectors probably know that the Sony G90 has been long heralded as one of the 'holy grail' projectors when it comes to image and performance. I personally have seen Cliff's G90 stack, and it is nothing short of awesome.

Some of you also probably know that these G90s are now starting to fail, a number of faults which can be repaired just like with any other CRT projector. What you might not know is that the G90 suffers from a somewhat common problem, that one of the D/A converter chips on the main CPU board fails, rendering the set useless, as that chip controls all functions within the set (brightness, contrast, convergence, focus, etc).

I know of at least 6 sets out there right now that are down due to this chip, and .... Sony has discontinued this chip!

From what I've gathered, Sony only made that chip for the G90, and no other manufacturer has this chip available. Therefore, there are 6 sets out there destined for the scrap heap.

I've long bitched about the disposability of electronics, but considering that the G90 was only put out of production in 2004, and its retail value at the time was $38,000 USD, this takes things to a new level. from what little I understand about laws regarding parts, Sony might even be in legal trouble as I believe for commercial/industrial products, parts need to be available for 7 years after the last production date. At least that's BArco's attitude.

What I'd like to do is write the above into my monthly newsletter, and provide the 12,000+ readers with some key email addresses to some high up muckimucks at Sony, so that we can voice our displeasure regarding this lack of customer support by Sony.

The details of the above are outlined in this thread:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8507&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=200

Now, let's face it, money talks in these tough times. Sony is already in financial trouble, so a few 100 emails to some sales reps from us might just get their attention, if we threaten to spread the word to not buy Sony product.

Supposedly a couple of kids did it to Apple regarding nonreplacable Ipod batteries some years ago, let's do it to Sony!

Anyone with key email addresses, please post them here, I'll put together a nice strong legal letter that people can cut and paste if they are too lazy to write their own. Smile

Thanks!
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm In !! I knew there was some type of law for providing replacement parts after production stops. Type up the letter and let begin!!!

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm one of the known 'unfortunates' in this situation, I'm happy to send out as many emails, to as many people, as it takes. Is there written evidence confirming the G90 was taken out of production in 2004? There ought to be some legal recourse on that count alone. Afterall these are not $1000 'disposable' digitals we're dealing with here.

Last edited by HaydnG90 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered buying a G90 a few times. I've been playing wait and see while part's get scarcer. I remember when Curt announced he now ( finally ) had G90 test chassis. That's when I was about to jump in. Then I started hearing about non-repairable boards and proprietary Sony chips so I put the brakes on.

We need to get these chips, a decent supply of them too. Even all the tech specks in full so we can get another manufacturer to make them. Something Rolling Eyes

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. I want me a G90 BAD!!!
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have a lawyer in the house that can research whether there's a 7 year parts availability rule on something like this? Consumer stuff, I can see why the rule might not apply, but the G90 was also marketed through the broadcast division of SOny....
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly the names and numbers we need but a start. This is the center that was repairing the YA boards until the parts dried up. Apparently 30 of the chips in question had been ordered and distributed, I assume to service centers, in the last few years, suggesting that the 6 broken boards here are the tip of the iceberg....

Sony Electronics
2520 Zanker Rd. MD #ZNK5
San Jose, CA 95131
Tel: (408) 352-8282
Fax: (408) 352-8283

Thanks,

Wing N. Tseung
Sony Electronics
(408) 352-8228

NB: I believe Wing is the general manager.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I'm In !! I knew there was some type of law for providing replacement parts after production stops. Type up the letter and let begin!!!

Athanasios

Yeah, but that only applies if the G90 were installed in military or other government facilities, that had that law written into the sales contract.

The governing agency on this end is the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) for consumer products. They are the group that put the RMS wattage rules into law. If the G90 is not involved in any major military or other government commercial project, it's likely Sony will not feel obligated to do anything. And though the G90 had a commercial prefix in its model number, Sony later listed it as a Home Theater product...hmmm

The US military suffered terribly during the Vietnam War period from part shortages on equipment that the vendor later closed shop and moved on to other things. They have since TRIED to do something about that.

It's rare that a manufacturer would MAKE their own chips. Why would they ramp up huge machinery to make a specific part for a product that may or may not be a real money maker. When they can do as everyone else does and purchase their chips from one of the chip manufacturers. I'll bet those chips were made by a chip house, and Sony either had their numbers punched on them, or they did it for Sony.

The chips are just DACs or other common digital chips. If Sony was into the chip business for specialized chips, they could have really done wonders with the video chain. It seems like they grabbed almost anything off the shelf for the video chain in the G90.

my 02 cent
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Do we have a lawyer in the house that can research whether there's a 7 year parts availability rule on something like this? Consumer stuff, I can see why the rule might not apply, but the G90 was also marketed through the broadcast division of SOny....

Actually, Curt - I can see how there might be rules to protect consumers, but which would specifically exempt commercial/industrial hardware. I'm no attorney and I have no first-hand knowledge, but I do know there are all sorts of consumer protection laws, not all of which would extend to a commercial/industrial user.

Good luck with this, you guys. Let me know if you need help with something design-related, since that's about all I'd be good for in this case. Wink

I don't know whether we can push Sony to do anything, but if we can't, I sure as hell think everybody in the HT community should know about it. I know I'd think twice about buying a $15,000 SXRD projector if I thought Sony might decide there was no reason to stock parts for it a few years later.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt there some way to reverse engineer the chip??? It'd be easier that pushing sony to do anything.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe worth cross posting this on AVS and some of the other HT sites like hometheaterforum.com
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my conversation with Wing he said that the CXD number was not a true sony number and suggested searching via that number which I told him I already did. Problem is from my experience Sony was the only one using chips with those types of numbers. I agree with MP in that this is a fairly common part in its use and I would almost bet that the manufacturer made lots of these chips and just stamped them differently for who was buying them. Problem is, without a datasheet its almost impossible to cross reference. I remember a while ago attempting to cross it with vague info. Maybe I'll give that a shot again.

Finding the actual chip maker would be a big advantage. Anybody know the chip manufacturers in Spain?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, this feels like you're dissecting the chip down to a substrate level. Wink Next thing you know, you'll be filing down the chip to duplicate the substrate itself. I remember back in the day guys would do that to the Pay TV decoder boxes to bypass them..
incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: sony Reply with quote

Hi Curt, You stated that the G90 was 38k in 2004, this is the price of a car as far as I know, may I suggest you check cases relating to this type of price bracket, would they for example be able to get away with this is say this was a car. Say the car did not work if the ECU went, could the manufacturer just stop production of the ECU with no recourse for the buyer as the ECU is not built by anyone else. Thats crazy, even if it was a 1000 usd pj I would be pissed, also, this is a common fault, you have to question why Sony has stopped production of a chip they probably know is failing, thats right I do not trust or like sony. here is a class action case that I think I would use in relation to this case.

this is the case :
http://www.news-star.com/localnews/x282407148/Supreme-court-affirms-local-lawsuit-against-car-manufacturer-as-class-action

what the article stated.

The Oklahoma Supreme Court recently upheld a national class-action lawsuit originally certified in Pottawatomie County District Court, paving the way for a Shawnee woman’s case against a car manufacturer to proceed as class action. The outcome of the case could affect the owners of about 1.5 million vehicles.
Local attorneys Terry West and Brad West filed the class-action lawsuit, which alleges that a series of DaimlerChrysler automobiles have a defective steering system that can fail, causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
Plaintiff Rhonda Masquat’s suit, originally filed Jan. 28, 2005, alleges there was a defect in the power rack and pinion steering system in vehicles sold as the Dodge Intrepid and Eagle Vision, along with the Chrysler models of New Yorker, Concord and 300M made from 1993 through most of 2001. Masquat’s case centers on a 1994 Dodge Intrepid she purchased in 1999 and made repairs to a year later.
In 2007, Pottawatomie County District Court certified her lawsuit as class action by consolidating the claims, which could affect more than 1.5 million vehicles, Brad West said.
DaimlerChrysler appealed that decision with the Oklahoma Supreme Court. The Wests argued that the corporation recognized the problem as early as 2000 and even designed a repair for it, but never advised vehicle owners of the problem or the repair, which costs about $300 if owners pay for it themselves, Brad West said.
The Oklahoma Supreme Court upheld the local court’s decision, so the case will proceed to trial, focusing on the claims of Masquat as class representative.
Her case will be binding on all remaining members of the class, Brad West said. The case seeks to require DaimlerChrysler to repair the defective steering systems and repay those car owners, like Masquat, who undertook the cost of repair themselves, Brad West said.
The Wests maintained all along that District Judge Douglas Combs’ decision to make this a class-action suit was correct.
“Oklahoma law supported his decision and, from a consumer protection standpoint, it was the right decision,” Brad West said. “Economically, there is no way, absent the class-action type case, that an individual consumer with a defective product could take on a company like DaimlerChrysler when their problem only amounts to a few hundred dollars. So we were very happy to be able to help in that respect.”
The next court date for this case hasn’t yet been scheduled.

I am sure this car was cheaper than the g90. Has anyone got the original g90 adverts, what do they state or imply as to durability, In the Uk the law has changed somewhat and basically the item has to be fit for purpose and so should last a certain amount of time. This is a little from UK law.

How long should it last?

Durability

Durability is another recent addition to the definition of quality. How long should a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a printer last? This is a very common source of complaint and one which manufacturers were always quick to turn back on the consumer, requiring them to provide proof that the item did not conform to contract specification from the start, or implying an element of misuse or neglect. Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. Having said this, items which should last several years can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last. You can get this information relevant trade association

I can’t get spares

It could be that due to the discontinuation of something you have recently bought, you can no longer get your hands on spare parts, rendering it un-fixable. Unfortunately there is no legal obligation for a manufacturer in this regard, although there are some trade associations who require their members to ensure products are not rendered useless due to the absence of spare parts.

This is UK law I hope there is better spare parts law in the U.S, hope I have helped.

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's law applies. If they were manufactured In Japan or meheeeco would stateside law apply?
My AmPro is still humming along Thumbs Up

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact Sony and see if they would assign the use of the design/manufacturing rights to you in exchange for your support of these "legacy" products. If they are willing you would have access to the OEM manufacturer and they could give you an idea of the cost on a small run of these. Point out that other Manufacturers are also sending customers to you as a recommended service center.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

You are going to have some trouble there. It will also depend on where that portion of Sony is and figure out the local laws there. If it's in the USA, then laws can vary. It might also be Japanese law. It would take a lawyer some work just to figure out what law from what country applies or if it is an international thing. The bright side of that is you could have a lawyer look up consumer protection law for the USA or Canada to see if North America has 7 year rights to parts.

I don't know much about Sony, but I'd imagine they wouldn't have done it unless they were allowed to... Unless they thought nobody cared any more... nah. Wink Still, I hope this pans out. This is one of the coveted machines and many want to get one some day and be able to keep them alive. Good luck!

Another thought...

Even though they stopped making the chip. One would reasonably infer that Sony still has a supply of them. Curt might want to ask if he can get 25, 50, 100 or whatever Sony would find worthwhile to sell to him. If they have stopped producing the chip, they hold little to no value to them. There would likely be some "no's" along the way, but someone somewhere probably knows if and where spare chips might be. You might have to do some digging to find the right person, then things could move along. The morons probably have several hundred chips in a warehouse somewhere an don't know they are there. I think finding a legal answer could get expensive, but good old fashioned networking might yield the best results. See if you can find out who ran that particular division and see if they can point you to the right people to ask. I agree with Jask as well. The support of "legacy" products could help too.

Hope that helps.

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think time would be best spent trying to locate the schematic of the chip. Then send it to as many of the chip manufaturers as you can think of. Someone will recognize it and come back with "hey, I've got 500 of them right in front of me and you can have them if you can tell me what the square root of 69 is?"

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this of course does nothing to help, but I recall preaching about this long ago on AVS regarding the G90.

This is how SONY works.

Hope you guys can get satisfaction. Best of luck.

Curt, please give me the part number and the actual chip number, would ya? I'll see if I can come up with anything on this end.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
Well, this of course does nothing to help, but I recall preaching about this long ago on AVS regarding the G90.

This is how SONY works.

Hope you guys can get satisfaction. Best of luck.

Curt, please give me the part number and the actual chip number, would ya? I'll see if I can come up with anything on this end.

Chip number is CXD305-127R (IC 421)

Last edited by HaydnG90 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18
Jump to: