Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Soon, the $99 disposable 1080P digitals.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Soon, the $99 disposable 1080P digitals. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The prices keep coming down. Years ago the concern was the cost for what seemed like expensive-for-disposable products, but the days of $25K 1080P disposable projectors is now $1600. In another ten years, they'll probably be $500.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I'll buy three of them, replace the rotating RGB color filter system with single color dichroic filter elements,
run all three channels of each one on a single color, and have the world's first 1500 dollar 3 chip DLP unit. One unit runs red,
the second runs green, the third runs blue, and their output is aligned and combined with prisms and mirrors. Cheap fun!

CJ
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that $1300.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4490483&CatId=1755

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Soon, the $99 disposable 1080P digitals. Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
In another ten years, they'll probably be $500.

I don't think so. The market will bear more than this. Think of the 80s and the 90s. The best displays always cost about the same. Year to year they just got a bit bigger and more features. The market will bear $2000 or so for a "pretty darn good HT" projector and probably over $6000 for a truly top end projector for many years to come.

I don't think you will see $500 ones even in 10 years.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Soon, the $99 disposable 1080P digitals. Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:
In another ten years, they'll probably be $500.

I don't think so. The market will bear more than this. Think of the 80s and the 90s. The best displays always cost about the same. Year to year they just got a bit bigger and more features. The market will bear $2000 or so for a "pretty darn good HT" projector and probably over $6000 for a truly top end projector for many years to come.

I don't think you will see $500 ones even in 10 years.
Hmm, and Pioneer was claimed to have th best plasma out there and what did they do recently? Get out of the plasma market.

BTW, my first laser printer cost me >$1000. I now get the $79 disposable Samsung units as they cost less then a toner cartridge.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think time will tell which one of you are right and which one is wrong. Like everything else, it will probably be somewhere in the middle.

Dave, in way you're right that what the market will bear will determine the price. A performance car has been, and probably always will be fairly expensive to manufacture and maintain. Technology will likely never bring us Porsche 911 or Corvette ZR1 performance for the price of a new Honda Civic. Problem is, projectors aren't really like cars anymore. Projectors are more like computers. In that way computers have gotten ridiculously cheap. So cheap, in fact that most manufacturers have had to found increasingly creative methods to make money on them. We've reached a point where most low- to mid-range computers are more than adequate for probably 90% of the population. They have bigger hard drives, more RAM, and more CPU power than most people will ever use. All this for $500-1000. Projectors are much more like computers than they are cars.

So, what about projectors? Currently, there are a whole slew of projectors around $1000 that will blow the doors off the $2500 projectors of 5 years ago. Dave, you yourself rave about how great of a CIH setup you can get for around $1500. So, my point is, that as quality and technology keeps trickling down, eventually you'll be able to buy a $999 1080p projector that will smoke today's $2500 1080p projector. I'll be surprised if that doesn't happen in 5 years or less. Yes, there will be machines with better PQ, better warranty, better build quality, better support, etc.

Time will tell...

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some degree SC. Digital SLRs are more like computers than cars, yet their price stays high because of optics. The same applies in the digital PJ world. There are some limiting factors. I think we will see $1000 1080p projectors that equal the Mitsu HC5000 or something like that. But I don't think any manufacturer is going to go that low with a "decent" projector. We will see.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like I said, you're both right to some extent. DSLR's is a good example too, though; in fact, I'll use it to support my argument... Wink

For instance, unless I was shooting professionally and needed the durability and speed of a pro body, I'd generally take a brand new Rebel XSi or Nikon D5000 over a 5-year old prosumer body like a Canon 30D or Nikon D200. Both are examples of where the higher-end technology has trickled down into the lower-end products making the same quality much more affordable. The $700 Nikon D60 has most of the quality and technology of the D200 that was $1700 just three years ago. For "most people", it would produce images that are very comparable. The D200's successor, the D300 - smokes the D200 in every way.

Now, obviously projectors aren't advancing like the "megapixel" race going on in cameras, but I can easily see how the PQ available in a $2500 projector today will be available in a $1500 projector in 2-3 years, and the $2500 projectors might match what the $3500 projectors are doing now. Obviously, that paradigm falls apart as you approach the mid- to high-end where all bets are off.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering 5-6 years ago a 1080P digital projector ran +$25K I'd say its not surprising. Its all about the R&D and material costs. They keep making the things smaller and smaller to use less and less high quality materials. And considering how quickly digitals have reached the cheap on 1080P compared to analog ...

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Its all about the R&D and material costs.

Actually, that is incorrect. If that was all it was about, the cost of many items would be very different.

There is also an aspect of "what the market will bear". The simple fact is people will always be willing to pay significantly more than $99 for a decent projector.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave is right. If it were only R&D + materials, there would be wild price differences between similar products from different companies. The fact is that most companies try to optimize profit by pricing their products at what the market will bear, irrespective of actual gross product cost, as long as there can be profit. Looking at it from the opposite direction, when a company looks at a market segment they want to play in, they have to look at what the target market will pay for the product - what the market will bear - then put the appropriate amount design, R&D, material, manufacturing and marketing to meet that target price. It's very much about what the market will bear.

Dave is also right that there will never be a $99 digital... At least not one that's worth a crap. Maybe there will be a 1080p version of the $99 320x240 digital toy projectors currently being sold, but it will be just as much junk as the current projectors are, only higher resolution. It will also take years and years to get there; you might see something like that 10 years from now.

All that being said, just like most of the current crop of $999 LCD's are as good or better than similar-size LCD's from 5 years ago, and at probably 1/4 the price... Again, I could easily see how in 3 years we could buy, say a $1500-2000 1080p digital projector that will put today's $4000 projectors to shame. In fact, I'd probably bet money on it.

In fact, a couple of years from now is probably when I'll make the jump. Either when I can buy something like a used RS20 for $1500-2000, or when something new at around that price has comparable PQ. At that point, nice 9" machines will be the only CRTs left with much value. Even the 9" machines won't be worth a lot of money. IMHO, of course.

SC
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't consider going digital until they get rid of the bulb. When the LED projectors are mainstream and coming down in price, THEN I'll consider it. Assuming they get the performance & fidelity right, of course.
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For home theatre use I really don't see projectors being the future. Sony's Organic Light-Emitting Diode(OLED) TV has a contrast ration of 1,000,000:1 and its very thin. I'd think eventually you'll be able to buy a 100" TV that hangs on the wall.

Sharp already has a 108" LCD TV. Combine that with the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio of OLED and it might be game over.

IMCBHO (In my crystal ball's humble opinion)

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I don't see the big deal with the bulb. Bulbs have been in projectors since the beginning of motion pictures... LONG before CRT's were ever invented. Yeah, they burn out. Big deal. The way I watch my projector, a single bulb would last me at least a couple of years. Yes, LED's are nice - I just question when or if they'll ever get to where the brightness is up, longevity is up, and cost is down for front projection. LED's would definitely be nice, though.

42, I don't know, dude... A big flat panel is just a big flat panel. There's something magical about a big screen as opposed to a flat panel. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but walking into a theater with the lights up and seeing the big white screen... It's magical. Then, the lights go out and a big, bright light lights that screen up. The screen transforms from a dead material surface into a window into another world. I don't know if that same magical window effect would exist for a big box on the wall, regardless of technology or PQ. There certainly wouldn't be any nostalgia about it!

Besides, the teeny tiniest OLED's are still mega bucks, even after years of hearing about how great it is. That 10 or 12" Sony is still the price of what, a 50"+ LCD? There's another OLED, but it's even more expensive, IIRC. Does an OLED display bigger than a computer monitor even exist outside of a laboratory? If they ever can scale it up to projection screen sizes, will it ever be anywhere near as inexpensive as a projector? Just the mechanical engineering and material design of something that big would make it expensive, I'd think...

I don't see projection (of some kind) going away in dedicated HT with 8-10' wide screens for a long time. Projection is pretty hard to beat.

SC
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulbs burn out, at $300 or so a pop. It's true they won't do it real often the way I watch, but... it also cooks the optical path and limits the lifespan of the whole projector. I want my gear to last for decades. Plus LEDs have a more accurate color gamut. And, the big one for me: LEDs can cycle much faster than a color wheel. So rainbows should diminish enough so even I can stand a DLP.

A really awesome flat-panel would be nice, since it wouldn't be as dependent on pitch-black surroundings. But I'm with you, especially if you want a big screen, a projector is a much better way to do it. It's sure a lot lighter. Smile
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
There's something magical about a big screen as opposed to a flat panel. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but walking into a theater with the lights up and seeing the big white screen... It's magical. Then, the lights go out and a big, bright light lights that screen up. The screen transforms from a dead material surface into a window into another world.

I dunno, for some reason while I was reading that I had a mental soundtrack of Sprach Zarathustra playing. Very Happy

I'm still looking forward to The Jetsons stuff. I want one entire wall to be a huge entertainment outlet. Not so far fetched when you consider that when I was growing up (in the 70s) the big TV in the house was a 19" color with 13 channels and channel 11 out of Kansas City was black and white.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just barely remember the first TV I ever saw -- it belonged to some friends of my parents with more money than most of the farmers we knew. It was a huge cabinet, maybe 4'x4'x2', and had a ROUND screen about 4" in diameter. Obviously it was black & white. Smile There were no color stations then anyway, and only one or two stations that we could actually receive in NE Iowa. This woulda been early 1960's or so?

Imagine what we (back in the 60's) would have thought of a 100" screen!!! Jetsons for sure!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would have agreed with Dave till I went and looked at pj prices. There are a bunch of pjs below $1000. I agree that quality will still cost money, but I can see some 1080p pjs that lack a lot of features in that price bracket. The real determining factor is businesses. When they decide to move to higher resolution, then you will see a change.

Whats,
I agree on the flat panel thing. I have thought for a long time that we will get to the point of having a video wall like in Total Recall. I thought flat panel tech would advance a little faster than it has, but who knows where we will be in five years.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats6x7 wrote:
For home theatre use I really don't see projectors being the future. Sony's Organic Light-Emitting Diode(OLED) TV has a contrast ration of 1,000,000:1 and its very thin. I'd think eventually you'll be able to buy a 100" TV that hangs on the wall.

It will take a bite out, but no bigger a bite than current flat panels do. I'm very doubtfull that I'm going to see a 2:39:1 flat panel!

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I don't know, dude... A big flat panel is just a big flat panel. There's something magical about a big screen as opposed to a flat panel. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but walking into a theater with the lights up and seeing the big white screen... It's magical. Then, the lights go out and a big, bright light lights that screen up. The screen transforms from a dead material surface into a window into another world. I don't know if that same magical window effect would exist for a big box on the wall, regardless of technology or PQ. There certainly wouldn't be any nostalgia about it!

I agree 100% and no, it never will equal the magic of projection.

I've heard it described quite well as there is a difference from being "inside the box" and "outside the box". I think there might be something to that. Real life is "inside the box", photographs are "outside the box".

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: