Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Can someone check this!! Catalyst 8.12 Vista fix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Can someone check this!! Catalyst 8.12 Vista fix Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating
System
This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI
Catalyst™ Software Suite for Windows Vista. These include:
• Setting shadow quality to high or medium may cause flickering in World of
Warcraft
• Age of Conan DirectX 10, may intermittently become unresponsive during
game play
• Catalyst Install Manager, the 'Deselect All' button will improperly mark
installed packages
• The display driver may fail after being installed on an ATI Radeon HD 4800
Series or ATI Radeon HD 4870 adapter
• Returning from system standby may cause some video corruption to occur on
some OpenGL games
• Catalyst Control Center, AVIVO video settings are disabled under MS Vista

Does hti sfix the gamma control in Vista for ATI cards?
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I can tell you soon...just got a new motherboard with ati onboard. I'll install vista tonight and try this driver.

You still running the fan modded XGLC?
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
Hopefully I can tell you soon...just got a new motherboard with ati onboard. I'll install vista tonight and try this driver.

You still running the fan modded XGLC?

Hi Ben,

Still running the XGLC but it was my old AC one that was fan modded. But I will be modding this one soon enough
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an ATI card last night and it does not work. Though the colors are much better, and the card does not crush blacks as much as the Nvidia card. Also, now I have it running at 1080i@96hz sweeettt!!

Silky smooth now

There is supposedly something called dynamic contrast in the latter cards 4850 and up, has anyone seen this? It supposedly is like an adaptive gamma control or something.

Does anyone else note how much better the colors are with ATI vs Nvidia?
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check my other post about getting gamma with ati? Seems to work for some...and it will probably work best from the vga out. ATI is probably the best solution for crt'ers now.
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
did you check my other post about getting gamma with ati? Seems to work for some...and it will probably work best from the vga out. ATI is probably the best solution for crt'ers now.

That 3rd party cgc software thingy did nothing but adjust desktop gamma
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that should not be the case...you have to load the lut on boot. The lut changes gamma inside the video card...should apply to all sources.
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1097653
David_Web

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The lut changes gamma inside the video card...should apply to all sources."

Not really. It changes the windows LUT that in turn asks the graphics card to use that LUT when rendering the image.
It does not however apply to all "sources".
The cursor, or "overlay" draw mode is not affected.

Powerstrip does support writing directly to pallet DAC on the graphics card but it still won't apply it directly to the outgoing signal which would be the desired behavior.

I would be glad if there was a way to apply it directly to the graphics card but I guess Ill have to wait for that. Unless I manage to work it out myself.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This software is posted in the htpc section...by a display calibrator. What the hell will it work with then? He claims it will work with powerDVD etc...if it didn't, then what would be the point of it? I'm betting it WILL work...
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
This software is posted in the htpc section...by a display calibrator. What the hell will it work with then? He claims it will work with powerDVD etc...if it didn't, then what would be the point of it? I'm betting it WILL work...

I posted int here. It was in the Calibration section not the HTPC section. I think that was the confusion. It works with the desktop for calibrating displays, but after trying it it doe snot work with BD on ATI cards.

On top of that, I have a good friend at ATI who works in the group which writes the display drivers for video, and he already told me it won't work. He suggests I try a 48xx series card and the new Dynamic Contrast feature
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I stlil think you're wrong here? I gotta get this damn pc built!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of waiting and got a GammaX, it just works. No drivers just slide the pot to increase your gamma.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure..if you want to drop $100 and have another device in your signal path. I'd be far happier having the adjustment on the pc...hopefully this just works too Smile
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
Sure..if you want to drop $100 and have another device in your signal path. I'd be far happier having the adjustment on the pc...hopefully this just works too Smile

I agree with you, but the time fiddling around and not getting anywhere was aggravating.

As far as signal degradation there wasn't any see the 1:1 test patterns below. These were actually with the Box 1021, but the results were the same with the GammaX. Also note this is 1080p@72Hz with a pixel clock over 200Mhz. Notice the patterns with the box are the same intensity which is optimum without the box they were not.

With Box 1021

Without Box 1021

I hope you get the results you’re after, I'm just not optimist.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm optimistic about it...this software allows allows greyscale tuning by ire level...so any blue hump in the greyscale can be removed via software. This could take the pc to the level of the good scalers both with gamma and greyscale options.

And I'm sure there is no signal degradation...it's just annoying to have a device in the chain vs a direct hookup.

Ben
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
I'm optimistic about it...this software allows allows greyscale tuning by ire level...so any blue hump in the greyscale can be removed via software. This could take the pc to the level of the good scalers both with gamma and greyscale options.

And I'm sure there is no signal degradation...it's just annoying to have a device in the chain vs a direct hookup.

Ben

It's even more annoying when you forget you un-pluged the power adaptor and wonder why you can't get a picture! Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
benareeno wrote:

Ben

It's even more annoying when you forget you un-pluged the power adaptor and wonder why you can't get a picture! Laughing

The GammaX power connects right to a USB Port, no power supply needed.

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
benareeno wrote:

Ben

The GammaX power connects right to a USB Port, no power supply needed.

Mike

Yeah I know. But I'm using the Box1020. I just got my GammaX. That LED is STOOPID bright. IT's right up there with the one in my HDDVD/Bluray combo drive!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: