Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BD rips over wireless network ? Speed needed ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: BD rips over wireless network ? Speed needed ? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Does anyone know what wireless network speeds are needed to play back BD's over a wireless network without breakups and other issues ?
My buddy has a wireless network using 54Mbs USB network dongles. We've tried playing back BD rips over the connection and they break up and just won't play smooth. The Taskmanager network properties tab shows the connection at 48Mbs, does it have to be a lot better to be able to play back BD's ?
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100BaseT works.
802.11g does not.

Last edited by Joust on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could figure out my "sharing" issues between Vista 32, Vista 64, and MCE2k5, I would transfer over a file and try it on my Wireless N.
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joust wrote:

802.11g does not.

So its not just me then...

Is there a wireless solution that IS fast enough ?
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N is faster. but I don't have it and cannot try.
there are also speedbooster options that are proprietary protocols which will work if and only if you have a router and client card/dongles that support the same ones i.e. same manufacturer.
but again. I don't have them and cannot test.
I tend to avoid wireless whenever possible. they use junk bands that will interfere with and be interfered by microwaves, cordless phones, radio remotes, etc.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get BR playback to work on my desktop so some 720p video will have to work. It is only at 12mbps but worked perfectly fine.

Can you still download 1080p trailers from Apple somehow? I will try a larger file if everything was working the way it should. (stay away SC!)

EDIT: I downloaded The Magic of Flight over at WMV-HD downloads page. That streamed perfectly fine, using only 30-40% of the 150Mbps Wireless N connection. The WMP11 stats say that it is a 8384 Kbps bit rate.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Can't get BR playback to work on my desktop so some 720p video will have to work. It is only at 12mbps but worked perfectly fine.

Can you still download 1080p trailers from Apple somehow? I will try a larger file if everything was working the way it should. (stay away SC!)

EDIT: I downloaded The Magic of Flight over at WMV-HD downloads page. That streamed perfectly fine, using only 30-40% of the 150Mbps Wireless N connection. The WMP11 stats say that it is a 8384 Kbps bit rate.

This is OT for this thread but have you tried your HDHomeRun yet and if so what kind of bandwidth does it use?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

Right, but none of that is BD, right ??

I'm not concerned about anything but BD rips, some of which I've seen peak over 45Mbps when watching the stats when you have the "info" popped up on PDVD.

It seems like it *should* be possible to have even a 45Mbps BD stream over a 54Mbps wireless network, but does anyone have any DIRECT experience actually accomplishing this ?

Also, if your WMV-HD trial took 40% of a 150Mbps connection, and its *only* a bitrate of 8.384Mbps(have I translated that figure properly), then wouldn't that indicate that a BD at quadruple the bit rate will exceed even your much faster wireless network ?

Am I missing some info ? Confusing something ?

So far its looking like BD over wireless is just not going to be an easy thing...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got the BD playback on my desktop working.

Funny thing is that when streaming Sex and the City which the first part averaged about 22Mbps my network utilitization was never above 20% of a 150Mbps speed.

My desktop CPU was at 70% so I think any audio or video delays were created by my horsepower available.

I don't see any issues with streaming them via Wireless N. I think the trouble comes with getting the rips to play...or at least that has been my trouble.

Quote:
This is OT for this thread but have you tried your HDHomeRun yet and if so what kind of bandwidth does it use?

Mike

Been too busy dinking with re-flooring the kitchen to mess around with it. I ordered a bunch of cables and I plan to attack the network re-wire next weekend. Going to install my new Dlink 825 Wireless N router, Dlink 323 NAS, Dlink 8 port giga switch, HD Homerun, and cable modem at a specific spot so that my computer room has far less clutter.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what my network is looking like streaming "The Bucket List"

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, while rated for 54mpbs, 802.11g usually nets less than half that in practice - around 25mpbs. Even if Windows says it's "connected" at 48mbps, actual usable throughput is probably much lower. That's why you can't stream a 30 or 40mbps BD rip across a "g" conneciton.

802.11n equipment on the other hand is rated for speedy 200-300mbps, but usually achieves "only" about 100-150mbps in actual use. While that is enough to stream BD rips, usable throughput will degrade if you have "g" or "b" devices also connected to the network. The 100-150mbs figure also assumes you don't have any other nearby devices in the 2.4ghz band causing interference.

As Joust pointed out, there are a whole slew of devices in use in or nearby most people's homes that can all decrease usable throughput of your WiFi network. Depending on where I am in the house, I can see no less than 4 or 5 other WAP's in neighbors' homes. Then, throw in a leaky microwave, a couple of cordless phones, a baby monitor across the street, and you can see how things go downhill pretty fast.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to change all the phone at our office and I tried EVERY brand of Wi-Fi devices before I could get a reliable connection. Dlink did it. Couldn't get Linksys, Cisco, USR, SMC, and some other's I can't think of. To work worth a damn.

THen I found out the neighbour had some giga range high power 2.4Ghz phone. I'm wondering if that made a difference?

Anyways Dlink has been stable for 4-5 years now.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, that makes purchases hopefully a bit more worthwhile .. .. ..
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the 2.4ghz range. That is why I got a dual band and simulataneous dual band router. The Dlink 825 broadcasts 5ghz and 2.4 ghz simultaneously so you essentially get two N networks in one.

The idea is to set up the media connections for the 5ghz connection and the data over the 2.4ghz connections.

Been working great so far. I have had very few bad experiences with Dlink even though they have a bad rep.

300Mbps huh?! Wonder why I am only getting 150Mbps at about 2 ft range with excellent signal strength??
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the higher the frequency the more likely you will garner interference. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe theoretically due to wavelengths, but there are far more devices operating around the 2.4ghz region.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there are and they are crappy at that. For instance, I could always pull a better wireless signal from my neighbor's home down the street that going through one floor in my own home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: