Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

going htpc...need a quick verification
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
how much for the 2200? I don't know if I would want to buy it if I go htpc though...every winter I buy a crt and try to config an HTPC...it's an annual ritual Smile
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
how much for the 2200? I don't know if I would want to buy it if I go htpc though...every winter I buy a crt and try to config an HTPC...it's an annual ritual Smile

PM me an offer. What projector did you get?

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Chuchuf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: going htpc...need a quick verification Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
I need gamma and 1080i 72Hz. I suppose that means powerstrip which I'm hoping will play well with Vista? I would also need HDMI audio for the uncompressed Blu-Ray stuff...is that all possible with this motherboard? I think CPU is a no-brainer, I just need to be certain about a mobo.

Motherboard:
GA-MA78GM-S2HP
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=51759

there is also the
GA-MA78GM-S2H doesnt' have the P like above...not sure what the difference is, perhaps firewire??
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=40406

any thoughts or snags I should be aware of?

Ben

Ben,

While this is a great MB, you won't get the "uncompressed" audio out. I don't think that any of the current MB's and doing uncompressed if I understand this correctly.

Terry
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: going htpc...need a quick verification Reply with quote

Chuchuf wrote:
benareeno wrote:
I need gamma and 1080i 72Hz. I suppose that means powerstrip which I'm hoping will play well with Vista? I would also need HDMI audio for the uncompressed Blu-Ray stuff...is that all possible with this motherboard? I think CPU is a no-brainer, I just need to be certain about a mobo.

Motherboard:
GA-MA78GM-S2HP

there is also the
GA-MA78GM-S2H doesnt' have the P like above...not sure what the difference is, perhaps firewire??

Ben

Ben,

While this is a great MB, you won't get the "uncompressed" audio out. I don't think that any of the current MB's and doing uncompressed if I understand this correctly.

Terry

The nVidia boards are claiming to deliver 192/32 bit, 8 channel audio. Is that compressed??

View user's photo album (3 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: going htpc...need a quick verification Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Chuchuf wrote:
benareeno wrote:

Motherboard:
GA-MA78GM-S2HP

there is also the

Ben

Ben,

Terry

The nVidia boards are claiming to deliver 192/32 bit, 8 channel audio. Is that compressed??

John, I think most hardware can do uncompressed audio...Right now the problem is with software.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can't get the uncompressed audio, then I may as well stick with the PS3. Uncompressed audio is a huge feature of Blu-Ray...

Also, nvidia allows gamma but ati does not, right?

Then powerstrip plays well with ati but not Nvidia..is that also right?

That leaves me with no real complete solution, right?
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
If I can't get the uncompressed audio, then I may as well stick with the PS3. Uncompressed audio is a huge feature of Blu-Ray...

Also, nvidia allows gamma but ati does not, right?

Then powerstrip plays well with ati but not Nvidia..is that also right?

That leaves me with no real complete solution, right?

This software supposedly supports uncompressed audio.

Ck it out

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediatheatre/

benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really say that it's 100% supported...although it does seem like an interesting product.
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
It doesn't really say that it's 100% supported...although it does seem like an interesting product.

I noticed that as well, but Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master are Uncompressed formats. And it supports both.

nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
benareeno wrote:

I noticed that as well, but Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master are Uncompressed formats. And it supports both.

PowerDVD also supports Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. I have it working fine on my ATI 4550

Chris.
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had read that it truncates the data somewhere along the line....hopefully not.

So, does this mean that it is software decoded into LPCM like the PS3 does? If so...sweet!
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
I thought I had read that it truncates the data somewhere along the line....hopefully not.

So, does this mean that it is software decoded into LPCM like the PS3 does? If so...sweet!

Powerdvd decodes Dolby THD and DTS-MA HD to output 16bit/48kHz LPCM over HDMI.

Chris.
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Dolby Website...

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD.html

Dolby Has You Covered

From thunderous action effects to ripping bass chords to the subtle delicacy of a lone oboe, Dolby® TrueHD brings a palpable audio presence to the home theater experience. Dolby TrueHD is Dolby’s latest lossless technology, developed for high-definition disc-based media. The sound is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, so listening at home is like being in the studio while the movie or video is being mixed, or at the sound board at a live concert. With Dolby TrueHD, the listener hears exactly what was captured during the recording and mastering process. Coupled with the high-definition video of Blu-ray Disc™, Dolby TrueHD unlocks an unprecedented home theater experience with sound as stunning as the spectacular picture.

Dolby TrueHD Features

* 100 percent lossless coding technology—with playback identical to uncompressed PCM
* Up to 18 Mbps bit rate
* Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio*
* Supports up to 5.1 channels of 24-bit/192 kHz audio
* Bitstream transport enabled by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™ 1.3), the single-cable digital connection for audio and video
* Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization, dynamic range control, and downmix coefficients for 5.1- or 2.0-channel mixes as determined by the content provider
* Enables independent two-channel “artist’s mix” to be integrated into the Dolby TrueHD stream

*Dolby TrueHD can support more than eight audio channels. Blu-ray Disc standards currently limit its maximum number of audio channels to eight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: