Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

(GONE) Make your own Beer (free)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: (GONE) Make your own Beer (free) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm cleaning out my equipment closet... I've probably got 100 things sitting around in there that someone might still find useful.

There have been a lot of discussions about this For Sale forum lately, so if anybody has any issues with any of the items listed here, or if the prices are undercutting Curt in any manner, please let me know and I'll delete the listings immediately.

Curt/Kal, please feel free to delete any of these listings. If it's too closely related to CRT, not related enough, too cheap, whatever... when in doubt, just delete it.

Of course, as always, Curt has free dibs over any of this stuff.

This was a Christmas gift last year. But I already have a large-scale homebrew setup, so if you're curious about making a couple of gallons of your own beer, you can have this for free (free local pickup or let's figure $15 for US S/H).

beer-kit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.01 KB
 Viewed:  15533 Time(s)

beer-kit.jpg

Last edited by Clarence on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll take this!

BEER! GOOD!

wallace

Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's yours.

We should mix it up a couple of weeks before our next mini-meet with Ben in the Spring.

SOLD (for $0 with free delivery Wink )
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: (GONE) Make your own Beer (free) Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
But I already have a large-scale homebrew setup...

Not to get too off-topic Clarence, but I'm curious what sort of homebrew setup you have! (I'm in the process of setting up an 100% electric 10-15 gallon all grain setup myself and just got word that my 20 gallon Blichmann pots are ready for pickup - yay!).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
It's yours.

We should mix it up a couple of weeks before our next mini-meet with Ben in the Spring.

SOLD (for $0 with free delivery Wink )

Mr. Green Mr. Green

Damn! I love that "free delivery" stuff! Cool

There is no way I could wait that long!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

BTW, I was thinking of having a mini ht meet over here within the next month or so. I would like for you local guys to see the set-up with the new screen and stuff. Maybe get MP, Emdawgz, William, yourself (of course if the drive time is too long, well, I'll send a limo for you Wink ) and Eddie (sp?).

BBQ and maybe some fresh brewed brewskys (sp again?)?

wallace

Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: (GONE) Make your own Beer (free) Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Clarence wrote:

Not to get too off-topic Clarence, but I'm curious what sort of homebrew setup you have! (I'm in the process of setting up an 100% electric 10-15 gallon all grain setup myself and just got word that my 20 gallon Blichmann pots are ready for pickup - yay!).

Kal

Ah, "large-scale" was a bad choice of words... especially compared to your setup.

I only meant large in comparison to the 2 gallon plastic keg in this free kit.

I just have 5-gallon glass carboys. Then I use corny kegs in a CO2 kegerator.

But currently my brew technique is much simpler... a case of Sierra Nevada Christmas Ale. Thumbs Up
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
BTW, I was thinking of having a mini ht meet over here within the next month or so. I would like for you local guys to see the set-up with the new screen and stuff. Maybe get MP, Emdawgz, William, yourself (of course if the drive time is too long, well, I'll send a limo for you Wink ) and Eddie (sp?).

wallace

Sounds like a plan! Get those stogies rehydrated too!

Add Bill Belcher and CRT Ben to the local list.
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: (GONE) Make your own Beer (free) Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
But currently my brew technique is much simpler... a case of Sierra Nevada Christmas Ale. Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

wallace

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
wallace123456 wrote:

wallace

Sounds like a plan! Get those stogies rehydrated too!

Add Bill Belcher and CRT Ben to the local list.

Heck yea! I should be getting an early gift from Santa tomorrow: 1 - DryMistat HumidiTube, 1 - Super Accurate Adjustable Round Digital Hygrometer and 1 - One Step EZ Humidor Seasoning Packet. So, hopefully, I can get these "gars" ready within 4-6 weeks.

And heck yea! Bill and Ben, come on down! Mr. Green

wallace

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: (GONE) Make your own Beer (free) Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
kal wrote:
Clarence wrote:

Kal

Ah, "large-scale" was a bad choice of words... especially compared to your setup.

Smile My current setup is still probably the simplest there is.... I just buy pre-made wort and ferment it. Dead simple!

Though I did drive down to Ogsdenburg NY today to pick up my new Xmas presents - the biggest part of the new upcoming brewery: 3 large brew kettles! Woohoo!

I've got a ton of work ahead of me...

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that does it !......... I'm bookin a flight to Kal's house ! Wait a second... How long does it take to make beer ?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Wait a second... How long does it take to make beer ?

Right now? Months as nothing's ready yet. Smile

Once it's all set up? Hopefully no more than 4-6 hours. It's a pretty long process, but I plan on automating a lot of it so that I don't have to sit there and fiddle with it while it's working:

1. Heat water to 160-170F (30-60 minutes) and crush grain while you wait
3. Mix crushed grain & water (5 mins)
4. Steep the grains for 60-90 minutes
5. Drain water slowly through the grains to extract the 'sweet wort' to the brew kettle (30-60 mins)
6. Boil the resultant sweet wort for about 60 minutes, adding hops as needed
7. Cool/transfer the wort to fermenters.
8. Cleanup

Total time: 4-6 hours.

Then you add yeast to ferment the 'wort' so that it becomes beer, keg, carbonate, and drink, and repeat. Wink

Kal

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
OK that does it !......... I'm bookin a flight to Kal's house ! Wait a second... How long does it take to make beer ?

I'll meet you there!

WOW!!!

wallace

Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right up you're alley ! Wink

cookbook1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cookbook1.pdf
 Filesize:  968.26 KB
 Downloaded:  535 Time(s)

Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't he suck?....the Ba$tard....
you forgot to mention that you can ferment, keg, carbonate and drink within a week! thats the best part.

right now I use a 5 gallon turkey fryer as a brew kettle. I'm looking for a beer keg to convert.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joust wrote:
you forgot to mention that you can ferment, keg, carbonate and drink within a week! thats the best part.

Other than a few beers that are meant to be drunk really young (like German Hefeweizen's), for most beers I find it's best to wait at least month. You'll get better beer if you let it age for a few weeks if not a few months. Especially some of the stronger ones.

Most yeasts will give you a better flavour when fermented at cooler temps too, so I do ales often in the mid 60's which can take a good 2-3 weeks to ferment out. Lagers are even longer and will often be brewed in the 40's. That can take 1-2 months to complete.

And then lagers/pilsners should be 'lagered' for at least 2-3 months (or longer) to get them clean and crisp. When I first keg lagers they don't taste anything like they do 2-3+ months down the road.

So yes, you can make in a week but other than a few styles that are ok when fermented at higher temps and don't need aging, it doesn't mean it's going to be GOOD beer. Smile

I always try to make extra so that I don't drink it immediately.

On tap right now I have:

1) A lager
2) A Hefeweizen
3) A Pilsner
4) An IPA dry-hopped with Cascade

The lager and pilsner were 'lagered' (cold conditioned) for a few months before being put on tap.

Lagering (cold-conditioning) right now I have:

- Another regular lager
- A oddball wheat beer brewed with lager yeast

In the cold room I have sitting/aging:

- An ESB
- An IPA dry-hopped with Centennial
- A Cream Ale
- An english-style Pale Ale

These are all in 5 gallon kegs. Brewers always say that the LAST pint out of the keg taste the best (since it's aged properly). I like every pint to be as good as the last. Smile

Kal

Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did i mention you suck....yep, i believe i did.

I have on hand:
- two best bitters
- a red weisen
-a overhopped cream ale
- a keg of 7up (one of the kegs i just bought was full Smile )
View user's photo album (1 photos)
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Been Busy Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, I was thinking of having a mini ht meet over here within the next month or so. I would like for you local guys to see the set-up with the new screen and stuff. Maybe get MP, Emdawgz, William, yourself (of course if the drive time is too long, well, I'll send a limo for you ) and Eddie (sp?).

I am so there. Can I bring the Marquees?

You boys might want to take a little road trip (during the meet) down the (Snikersville) Pike and check out the new & improved Middleburg Blend. MP's lowly lowly Marquee 8500 Ultra is now my left Marquee 9500 Ultra. I spent last weekend and yesterday nailing the geometry. (When I am done typing this, I am going to do a grayscale calibration on both projectors.) The blended image is beginnng to look like what I had originally envisioned: watching a live football game feels like being at the game, in an owner's box.

The week between Christmas and New Year's, MP is coming over with a specially mod'd Ultra geometry/focus board. By then my new Ultra motherboard and back plane Ultra convergence, vertical, and stigmator boards should be here from Bill Blue. We will finish converting the right projector to an Ultra, and I will have a pair of MP mod'd matched blended Marquee Ultras in the HT. I should be done with all calibrations and projector matching, well before your meet.

Also, my definition of local includes wherever Kal lives. He is my new hero. If I ever grow up, I want to brew just like Kal. You might want to consider adding Kal to the list of local boys invited to your meet.

William

Last edited by wkosmann on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:

wallace

Hey, did I miss something? I'm not a local boy but I sure love me some Don Wallace BBQ...

Can I come? Mr. Green

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Been Busy Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, my definition of local includes wherever Kal lives. He is my new hero. If I ever grow up, I want to brew just like Kal.

You should reserve judgement until you've actually tried some of the beer. A surprising (not surprising?) number of people when they first try it squish up their face a bit, pause, and then ask "Can you make something like bud light too?".

I usually see these people coming so I give them some really hoppy IPA. Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: