Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony 1040Q problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Sony 1040Q problem Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My neighbor picked up a lightly used Sony VPH-1040Q from his work and I'm helping him get it set up to replace his burned out DLP projector. I was able to get everything pretty well calibrated with the help of the manuals here, except for one little detail ... neither the Color or Hue adjustment knobs seem to do anything.

Is it possible for the pots to be disconnected down below on the circuit board, and if so, is there an easy fix? Or is there something else that could be causing those two to have no effect? Every other control works.

(The setup is a progressive scan DVD player connected to an Audio Authority 9A65 component to RGB switch. The colors all seem to be coming through fine, as I can control the brightness on each of the tubes (undocumented dials in the manual, as far as I could tell), just no control over flesh tones and what not.)

Thanks,
Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those controls only work with the video input. Not RGB that's normal.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, you have to adjust it with a composite video cable hooked up? Now I need to pick up a RCA composite to BNC composite cable...

What's the point of locking out the Color/Hue adjustments on arguably the main input? That has me baffled.

Once adjusted via composite, will the settings hold on the RGB input? Right now, everything is a very muted green.

Dan
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony 1040Q problem Reply with quote

dkap wrote:
... neither the Color or Hue adjustment knobs seem to do anything.
Thanks,
Dan

The color and hue adjustments have no effect on the rgb input.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you connect via RGBHV, the color and tint sections of the set are bypassed. THat's normal when you use ANY set that has RGB inputs. THere is no tweaking to be done, it's all done via the color signals on the DVD.

But tell me, you can't be running a progressive signal into the set? The Sony 1040 is a 480i video only machine, regardless of the RGB inputs.
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so if the colors are not being reproduced accurately via the RGB inputs, something is faulty with the equipment (projector, DVD player, component to RGB switch, or cabling), since the color/hue cannot be adjusted? I guess I misunderstood the first response.

Quote:
you can't be running a progressive signal into the set? The Sony 1040 is a 480i video only machine, regardless of the RGB inputs.

Would it not be able to handle the signal? I hadn't thought of that... I'll have to look and see if the player has the option to turn off progressive output when using the component cables. I'd hate to run that long of a composite feed. That would produce pretty low picture quality, wouldn't it?

Dan
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the set does indeed handle 480p, then you can get the Startech transcoder that has color and tint adjustments. THe length of run whether 480i or 480p won't matter. As long as the cable is decent, the signal at the output of the cable will be the same as ingoing.

I've got the Startech specs here. I do have stock.

http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTforSale_VideoProcessors.shtm
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone for got one thing to tell him. the color and hue controls for RGB are basically the G2/bias and Drive/gain controls for ANY set with RGBHV input, am I correct?

if everything has a green tint then it could be the greens G2 is set to high or the other colors are not set high enough.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check when my neighbor gets home if there's any control over the progressive setting. We're a bit iced in this week, so that may be delayed...

I did find what would presumably be gain controls for each of the tubes. That's the part I referred to in the first post as not being mentioned in the manual, as far as I could tell. There are three little dials over by the fans, one for each tube. I was able to set the color levels much closer than the previous installer had set them to, but it wasn't anywhere near enough control to get anything resembling a good flesh tone.

Dan
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lengthy delay, we revisited the matter and the above suggestions were correct. Using a composite video feed makes the color/hue adjustments functional, making for a MUCH better picture.

That leaves the question of what was causing the extremely green picture...

The DVD player obviously works, but it does not have a switch for progressive scan, so it's possible that the signal being sent was too high of a resolution for the projector to handle.

The component video cable is known to work fine, as it was previously in use for his digital projector which is constantly breaking down...

The Audio Authority switch and RGB cable to the projector have not been verified to work properly. Those would seem to be the most likely culprits, in ascending order, respectively.

I'm going to try hooking his projector up at my place (I've been dragging my feet on getting my projector sent in for repair, and my neighbor is getting a new big screen TV this week and won't be using the Sony projector any time soon), so I'll be able to try it with a different DVD player that has more settings to see if that's the issue. Trying a better RGB cable is next on the list, otherwise I know it at least works reasonably well via composite.

Thanks for the help.

Dan
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... hello..... the 1040 does NOT accept a COMPONENT signal. It'll be mostly green. You'd need a Component to RGB TRANSCODER.

Or get a DVD player with a VGA output jack which CAN put out RGB natively.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That information would have been useful a month ago. Smile

(I assume you mean it cannot accept a progressive scan signal rather than a component signal, correct? The component cabling itself shouldn't be a problem if the DVD player can deliver a non-progressive signal via it.)

I take it a transcoder does something more with the signal than what the Audio Authority switch does?

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkap wrote:
That information would have been useful a month ago. Smile

(I assume you mean it cannot accept a progressive scan signal rather than a component signal, correct? The component cabling itself shouldn't be a problem if the DVD player can deliver a non-progressive signal via it.)

I take it a transcoder does something more with the signal than what the Audio Authority switch does?

Dan

No Marc meant it DOES NOT take a component signal. 1041 had RGBHV input NOT component. You will need a compoenet to RGBHV transcoder. Like the RTC2200

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one or both of us is confused, and my money is on it being me...

However, Curt's Startech transcoder link describes it as being identical to the Audio Authority 1365 which is basically a Audio Authority 9A65 (what we're using) but with a scaler. Unless I'm misreading that, the implication is that an AA9A65 should function for converting the component to RGB, which is what the Sony projector expects.

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkap wrote:
I think one or both of us is confused, and my money is on it being me...

However, Curt's Startech transcoder link describes it as being identical to the Audio Authority 1365 which is basically a Audio Authority 9A65 (what we're using) but with a scaler. Unless I'm misreading that, the implication is that an AA9A65 should function for converting the component to RGB, which is what the Sony projector expects.

Dan

Ahhh well Marc is still right. The Sony 1040 will not directly take a component signal

I didn't read the whole thread ( guilty of skimming Embarassed )

If you already have an AA transcoder then if it will transcode 480i video to RGBHV then it should work.

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets try it this way. Your projector has composite, RGBHV and I believe a round connector for video inputs. Regardless of which one you use the projector will ONLY take and display 480i resolution.

So even if you convert a component to RGBHV signal, it still has to be 480i max..
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what Mac said ^

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. (That takes us back to what I understood Curt to be saying previously.)

However, the question was whether running the Component/AA965/RGB setup can work if a different DVD player has the ability to send a non-progressive signal via the component output, not whether a different cable approach can result in a higher resolution signal than the projector is capable of. The idea being, higher quality cable [than composite] is already routed from the DVD player to the location of the projector, so best to use that if possible.

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Many of the DVD players have switchable 480i, 480P on the componenet outputs.

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the higher quality cable that is already run?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: