Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How to remove a LC chamber ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: How to remove a LC chamber ? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all, i am going to try and remove my Ampro Lc chamber of my 4600 green tube. However, This is not something I have done before. I have read the guide on this site for removing the housing on a g70 and although I am sure the procedure is similar I would rather get some advice from those in the know before attempting this. Basically i am going to replace the c element as I have a new one and this particular tube had fungus inside it so I wanted to paint the inside as well.

The problem is that the screws seemed to be bonded to the housing in some way, perhaps a aluminium steel reaction, maybe someone can tell me how to part them? I have used a dremel on one screw and used a flat screwdiver with a lot of force to no effect, the other screw heads are fine and I used a perfect sized allen key in them but also to no effect. I can only think that the steel screws have bonded to the aluminium housing. I have removed c elements before and never seen screws set so tightly in before. I have a feeling this housing will cause me problems in the future even though I have flushed it out and I need to change the c element.

I have a spare housing from a old tube, what I would like to do is remove both housings and switch the good one with the fungus one! This would probably save me spraying the inside to prevent fungus and having to drill/easyout the old c element as well.

Any advice would be great, thanks gents.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem taking off the C elements on an Ampro, so this is new to me. There's no trick to it, a lot of pressure and the right Allen key as you say.

Maybe just cut the tube out of the back of the LC housing and transfer it to the new housing? Forget about the housing that's seized. I guess once the tube is out, you could try heating the screw area with a heat gun and see if the screws will come out then?
incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: thanks Curt Reply with quote

I tried a lot of pressure and the correct Allen key and it worked well on the other C elements I had curt, in fact they came of it easily this is just jammed in hard. i reckon I will have to cut them both out and switch them around then i just didnt see any screws holding it in except for the ones attached to the x ray shielding,.

What silicon is used to seal these curt? i have some gasket silicon I got from when I was going to switch the leads of the tubes will that do it?

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use regular GE silicone. The trick is to use a LOT, and let it cure for a week. I tried cutting corners in the past, putting the tube and chamber in a warm room, let it sit for 48 hours... and had leaks all over the place. Let it cure a week, you'll be fine. Lots of silicone in the corners, that's where the leaks usually happen.
incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks Curt Reply with quote

Ok, I have cut them both out that was simple enough, I will have a look for this silicon, not sure we can get ge silicon in the UK though, what about these options Curt?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75939/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/General-Purpose-Sealants/Unibond-General-Purpose-Silicone-Clear-310ml?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Sealants%20and%20Adhesives-_-Unibond%20General%20Purpose%20Silicone%20Clear%20310ml

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75939/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/General-Purpose-Sealants/Unibond-General-Purpose-Silicone-Clear-310ml?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Sealants%20and%20Adhesives-_-Unibond%20General%20Purpose%20Silicone%20Clear%20310ml

If any general silicon sealant can be used then i have lots of choices, thanks for the time Curt much appreciated.
[/url]

zGman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GE silicone II, black - make sure you get a fresh tube - check the date.

http://www.momentive.com/geam/gesa/Residential/en/Products/ProductDetail/gesiliconeiiwindowanddoor.html
incova

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: GE silicone II Reply with quote

Thanks guys, dont think we have this in the UK though.
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if you can't find the GE, then look for something that has a similar formulation -
most automotive and other earlier type 'silicone' sealants use an acetic acid based
hardening system (vinegar smell while curing) and these have been proven
unreliable for tubes and HV.
G
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Maybe Ile would share what he used on his 9">>8" conversion???
G
incova

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: good point Reply with quote

Thanks for that I will ask him.
incova

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: slicone Reply with quote

this silicone is tough to remove though, getting the tubes out was only a little of the job, the silicone is taking ages to get off!
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some silicone specific removers, but I don't know any more details.

It is possible to soak in mineral spirits which will soften the silicone residue,
but don't get it near the HV leads, or use near the c-elements, or bellows.

G
incova

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: thanks again man Reply with quote

I better just take my time and get it off thanks though, all the help is much appreciated. Thumbs Up
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should have warned you that those screws can be a bitch.

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
incova

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: lol! Reply with quote

yup! theyre stuck in there good Chip, everyone of them, the other 3 c elements came off with ease, this has been a headache.

Hmmmm I just hit another snag, When I tool out the first lc chamber the tube came clean out and looks like a normal "naked" tube, the face is just glass. However when I took the second lc out of the newer tube the tube face is covered with a rectangular piece of metal. This piece is still on the old lc chamber that I intend to use but stuck to the new tube I intend to put in there, I was not aware of this piece at all. Whats the simpler option cut of the piece of the new tube and place it straight into the rectangular piece, this helps me as it lines me up without guesswork, or remove the piece in the old lc chamber and fit the tube in direct? Confused

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New one on me. Best to post another picture. I have never seen a third part between the glass and housing. Check the part numbers on the tubes. I hope someone has not been trying to adapt a tube to it. It's interesting just the same.

incova

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: tubes Reply with quote

The tubes are marked Sony elite and they have blue blue guns I have been trying to identify them on another thread, the blue and green have blue blue guns but the red is a mec. i hope I have not accidentally removed part of the housing on the tube as I have not done this before, I will post pictures later on thanks Chip.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondr if its an old 9 inch AC tube they tried to put in an LC chamber?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a picture of both sides of the neck boards that came off the Sony tubes. Do the neck boards off the Sony tubes look like the MEC tube neck board.

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me as if you bought a gold projector, not struck gold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: