Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Fun in the basement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdean

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Fun in the basement Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Here's my elCheapo driving sim I built in my basement, just in time to host Thanksgiving. My brother-in-law and nephew loved it. Burnout paradise and Midnight Club LA are a blast. The wife doesn't get it. Confused

This is not my main screen, it is a rear projection rough setup utilizing a spare Marquee.

Ingredients:

thrift store coffee table $7
junk yard seat from Mitsu Eclipse $20
casters and misc hardware $30

The mount for the wheel is temporary, I'll build something that attaches to the coffee table at some point to make it one portable unit. Right now it is being held by a tabletop resting on 2 Peavey 15" subs. Better to feel the rumble with. Cool

I'm pretty bummed that MotorStorm does not support steering wheels. Hopefully they will in the future. Any other racing gamers out there?

[/img]

DrivingSim.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.33 KB
 Viewed:  8471 Time(s)

DrivingSim.jpg

Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice,

What is the material for the RP?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Rdean

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it years ago (around 2000) from some screen company, not sure which. It is like milky/frosty shower curtain type material, only thicker. It came with pre-sewn on velcro so install is easy. I used it in my last two residences with a mirror. Now my main screen is FP. Two big screens in the basement, nice to have the room.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very cool. For my next house, I want a giant basement big enough to have a couple of things like this setup. Just a big space for screwing around in....

One of the projects on my to-do list right now is some sort of apparatus to attach a steering wheel and pedals to my HT recliner for some serious Gran Tursimo sessions. I don't get to do it often, but I LOVE it when I do.

Awesome!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Rdean

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I thought of possibly using metal tubing for the wheel mount, but I have no access to a welder right now so will probably make it out of wood like this one

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58071&pp=20

Here's a couple other sites that gave me ideas:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=281401

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=granturismo&message.id=133753&jump=true

Post a pic when you get yours made. Smile
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the links! Lots of good ideas in those threads! I don't know why, but I never even thought of using 80/20 to whip something up instead of busting out the welder and chop saw. It's not cheap, but it sure is clean and nice looking!

http://www.8020.net/

After Christmas...

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine. Twisted Evil

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna ride!

Has anyone toured the country with one of these Per'? Not sure when I'll get up to NY. Smile

Seems like something that one might find at an auto show, with a per ride $ charge. Boy the line to get a ride would be horrendous though....
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peri,

I wanna come and play Wink
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: