Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Network advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_k

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Network advise Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm trying to set up Verizon Fios's media manager. You run verizon's media manager software on a computer which is supposed to be connected to their router. Then, the shows stored on the main media manager dvr can share it's material with other dvr's in the house along with the media stored on the networked computer. The computer is connected by ethernet to the router and the dvr's run via the coax lines.

I don't use verizons router however, I have a gigabit router behind that, that connect to switches and my media server is connected the switch.

I've seen verizon's network inside their router and that seems setup properly. I can ping the dvrs, but I can't get the dvr to see my media server. I need to leave the dvr's on verizons router because they are on a coax network. So i guess the issue is how do you get the two of them to play together nicely.

Thanks
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the same or a similar problem - I know about 1/10 of what I wish I did about networking... Anyway, at one point, I had my network set up like this:

cloud <----> Qwest/Actiontec ADSL router <----> House 10/100 switch <----> Rack 10/100 switch <---> PS3, 360, etc.

The computers and other equipment in the house were connected to the "house 10/100 switch", and the rack had its own switch.

In that configuration, I could ping the PS3 from the computer, the PS3 could see the internet, LIVE worked on the 360... Everything worked - EXCEPT for media sharing. The UPnP/DLNA server on my Mac (eyeconnect) and on the PC (WMP11) WOULD NOT see the PS3 or 360. The switches all work fine. Everything worked fine - until I tried to do the media sharing. So, the first thing I tried was running a network cable from the PS3 back to the main "house switch" and BAM - it worked perfectly. I ran another separate run to the 360 and eliminated the "rack" switch and everything has worked perfectly every since.

I've never found anybody that really knows networking AND DLNA servers to be able to explain why it won't work, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the self-discovery mechanism the UPnP server and clients use. NOt sure if the Verizon setup is based on the DLNA standard, but thought I'd just relate my experience for a data point.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: