Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Bi-wire speaker cables, do they work?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bi-wire speaker cables, do they work?
yes, I've tried them and it made an obvious difference
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
I've tried them and didn't hear a difference
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
No I haven't tried them but I'm convinced it's just audiophile baloney
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
I'm not sure or I can't afford stuff like this,I have no opinion
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Bi-wire speaker cables, do they work? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know half the folks here are running some cheap yard-sale speakers and that's OK. however I know a lot of you are running some pretty high end towers, especially Kal. Wink These types of speakers almost always have a bi-wire option. In other words 2 sets of binding post (maybe more) connected by a brass bridging strap. You can remove the strap and run each driver with a separate amp (bi-amping). OR, have a common wire at a single amp and then run multiple cables from there to each terminal (bi-wire).
Critic's say this can't possibly make a difference because all the wires share a common termination at the amp (pic). Proponents say it works and changes the sound from the speaker for various reasons.
So my question is, do you bi-wire? if not or if so explain why or choose a poll answer.

View user's photo album (2 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have them but auditioned some B&W 805's they were bi wired . I asked the awesome guys at the Speaker Shop here in Buffalo what the difference was and if there was any benefit. They said We'll let you be the judge. So they let me listen to my Sqeeze Vinyl greates hits on the super cool 6 inch thick glass turn table set up they had through Pass 400 watt mono blocks, i forgot the needle but it was 2500 alone!! well back tot he speakers and bi wire. they sent me out of the room and told me to come back in in about 10 minutes. They did not tell me which way they were connected and to listen, first off the 805 are just awesome and the pass amps are unreall, i was impressed no matter what. then they sent me out again , came back and listened to the same tracks, it was still awesome but wasn't the same. I asked them which was the bi wired and as i suspected it was the first setup. it was just more dimensional the depth of the soundstage was more defined . I really liked it and have since longed for a set of 805's.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I really liked it and have since longed for a set of 805's.
Athanasios
funny you mention that. 805's are very nice for sure but I just aidioned the 605's this week and they are very good speakers too at only $850. a pair.Really solid Bass and pretty open on the top end too.My recent experience with bi-wire is the same. Oddly enough the biggest difference with my Quad L-series didn't come from bi-wiring the mains but actually the center channel. Of course all 3 speakers exhibited a big difference but the mains became a lot more forward and bright sounding than I would prefer, and the quads lean that way even with single wire and a bridging strap to the tweeter/mid.
the center channel though was a huge leap forward.I had always had a problem with dialogue clarity. Like the mid-range drivers were slightly out of time or phase with the tweeter. After bi-wiring the dialoge is so crisp I couln't believe the difference.
I guess what I'm trying to say is while I am convinced it will certainly change the sound of the speaker it might not be an improvement. If your speaker is already to forward sounding bi-wire might not be ideal. OR, consult a pro shop before doing it, one familiar with your speaker. Sometimes they can "tune" the sound by using different types of wire runs to the high/low side of the speaker. Obviously this can very expensive for the average guy to experiment with.

Last edited by draganm on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my Polk Rti12's Bi amped now and I would not do it any other way. 200w hi 200w lo. I did try Bi wiring and I could tell a slight difference but when I bi amped is when these speakers really came alive. For all the other channels in my setup each one has it's own amp now. The sound is very impressive and definitely better than the receiver/amp combo I started with.

I am an iconoclast
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ray, Bi amp is the way to go if you have bi wire capable speakers. I auditioned them that way too but did not mention this since it wasn't what the poll was about. Way better than Bi Wired.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bi-wire all of my speakers (Paradigm Signature S8 fronts, C5 center, ADP surrounds). Mostly because it was so cheap to do with the Home Depot 12 gauge wire I use and takes the gauge down to around 9 thus reducing the resistance in addition to any sonic benefits. My runs are all around 50 feet long.

Does it sound any different? No idea. Was only about $100 more to do so I just did it.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I bi-wire all of my speakers (Paradigm Signature S8 fronts, C5 center, ADP surrounds). Mostly because it was so cheap to do with the Home Depot 12 gauge wire I use and takes the gauge down to around 9 thus reducing the resistance in addition to any sonic benefits. My runs are all around 50 feet long.
well, not sure about the zip-cord but 50 feet to each speaker is 200 feet bi-wired x 3 = 600 feet of speaker cable for L/C/R. If this is how you ran it then even with the cheapest audio specific wire out there at $2. a foot you would need $1200. to wire the front end Shocked

kal wrote:
Does it sound any different? No idea. Was only about $100 more to do so I just did it.Kal
disconnect one end and put the straps back in, you'd be surprised. Careful not to short the bare leads though Wink
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active bi-amping makes a difference (I have an active crossover setup).

Passive bi-wiring just reduces DC resistance. It is a huge load of crap.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passive bi-wiring would offer no benefit that using a comparable larger-gauge single run would. As Kal mentioned, his two runs of 12-gauge might be equivalent to one run of 9-gauge. The same thing could be accomplished by simply using one run of 10-gauge. Of course, there's no reason to do that unless you're driving very low-impedance loads and the runs are something like 60 feet+.

Dragan... Here we go again. WTH is "audio-specific" wire and how did you arrive at $2? What, is that the least amount of money that a audio snob can bear to spend on speaker wires because psychologically, anything cheaper is by definition junk? I suppose you'll now suggest that the cheapest $2/foot "audio-specific" speaker wire will certainly sound better than the $0.61/ft Belden 5000UE (12-guage) I installed in my HT, right?

Sigh.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Passive bi-wiring would offer no benefit that using a comparable larger-gauge single run would. As Kal mentioned, his two runs of 12-gauge might be equivalent to one run of 9-gauge. The same thing could be accomplished by simply using one run of 10-gauge. Of course, there's no reason to do that unless you're driving very low-impedance loads and the runs are something like 60 feet+.

Dragan... Here we go again. WTH is "audio-specific" wire and how did you arrive at $2? What, is that the least amount of money that a audio snob can bear to spend on speaker wires because psychologically, anything cheaper is by definition junk? I suppose you'll now suggest that the cheapest $2/foot "audio-specific" speaker wire will certainly sound better than the $0.61/ft Belden 5000UE (12-guage) I installed in my HT, right?

Sigh.

SC

Only if it's made in West Korea Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
Active bi-amping makes a difference (I have an active crossover setup).

Passive bi-wiring just reduces DC resistance. It is a huge load of crap.

Agree 100% from all the testing (including some single blind) I've done. Plus, the physics of it supports your position. Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only beef with bi (or tri) amping in the consumer world is that a lot of tweeters can't take a lot of abuse. If you cross over say at 3Khz or so, and you turn your system off in the wrong order, you can get a large 'POP' through the power amp, which can take out a tweeter. I've seen that happen both in large commercial installs as well as home installations.
rabies_70

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, I'm glad you just posted that because it addresses one of my current concerns regarding bi-amping my new rear channels. Polk LSiFX here are the specs

Quote:
Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 2 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)
Dynamic Balance with Aerated Polypropylene cone, cast basket and rubber surround
Tweeter 2 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
Dynamic Balance Ring Radiator
Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 40Hz - 27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 52Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 200 w/channel
Efficiency 88 dB
Crossover Driver 1: LPF at 200Hz, 12dB/oct.
Driver 2: LPF at 2.4kHz, 12dB/oct.
Tweeters: HPF at 2.4kHz, 18 dB/oct.
Inputs Dual gold plated 5-way binding posts for bi-amp/bi-wire hookup

Do you know how I can decipher how many watts to feed the woofers and how many to feed the tweeters so I don't fry a tweeter?

I am an iconoclast
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweets need literally no power, say under 2-3 watts? <edit>, that is assuming something like a typical home stereo dome tweeter, and say a 3-4 Khz crossover, at typical listening levels. THe bass and mids takes all of the power, highs take almost nothing.

Power rating of speakers is VERY ambiguous. You can actually do more damage with too little power to woofers rather than too much. Clip an amp, and you can blow a woofer if the amp clips hard. Clipping will also take out tweeters easily. In my audio repair shop days, we saw far more speakers blown due to clipping than to straight overdriving due to too much clean power.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Tweeters are very commonly damaged due to lack of power and the resultant amplifier clipping and the DC current the clipping creates. My M&K 750THX's are only "rated" for 200w, yet I'm driving them with about 300w of clean power. I can run the system right to about 105db in the room without any clipping. Unless I got REALLY carried away, I could much more easily damage the speakers with a 90w receiver than I could with the 300w Crowns.

Ray... Personally, unless you have time and money to burn, I wouldn't waste either bi-amping surrounds. Maybe if everything else in your room and system were tweaked to the max and you considered the surrounds the last weak link... maybe... The information typically contained in the surrounds is almost always ambiance - environmental sounds - noises. Do you really care that the crowd cheering or some explosion echo effects are 2% cleaner? If you don't believe me, disconnect or turn off the mains and just listen to some movie stuff with only the surrounds playing, and tell me again you're going to worry about bi-amping THAT.

I don't know about your priorities, but I have about 37 other things I'd rather spend the time and money on in my room to make the system a better system before I'd worry about bi-amping surrounds. Acoustic treatments? Hush box? Bass trapping? Better mains amps and wiring? Best source(s) and processing you can afford? I'd do ALL that stuff before I bi-amped surrounds.

Mains are a totally different story.

SC
rabies_70

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Crabb, as per usual the voice of reason. Thanks again. It's always nice to have someone slap you back to reality. I love the hey Dumbass ( my embellishment of self deprecating adjective) do you really care if the crowd sounds are 2% cleaner. I am sitting here laughing so hard I can barely see the screen whilst I type. I am quite certain you just saved me a buttload of money and time so I reckon once again I find myself owing you beer.

I am an iconoclast
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Hey, glad I can be here for ya, buddy! Very Happy

SC
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only bi-wired my audiophile system. I ran it first with the gold jumpers and then bi-wired and I definitely noticed a difference on my B&W speakers.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down to my theater late one night to get some doc's and caught the rears trying to do the bi thing...I put an end to THAT right quick I tell you what! Shocked

Seriously tho folks, I learned alot from this poll/thread. Very informative for the audio impaired. Thumbs Up

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell the bi-wires to take a look at emdawgz's avatar thread.

That will straighten them out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: