Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Professional Blackout Material: Protostar Flocked Light Trap
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Professional Blackout Material: Protostar Flocked Light Trap Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Dear All;

I have an opportunity to purchase a 100 yard roll of 30" wide Protostar flocked light trap material (http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm). This material is used to line the inside of visible light telescopes, and absorbs more than 99% of incident light at visible wavelengths. It should be a superb blackout material for eliminating light reflections off walls and ceilings in a Home Theater.

The back of the material has adhesive on it, so installation is 1) cut to desired length, 2) peel adhesive (paper) cover off, and 3) attach material to wall/ceiling.

I don't need 100 yards of this stuff. So, the purpose of the post is to solicit interest in sharing the cost of the roll. Manuafacturer price is 50 cents per inch for arbitrary short lengths. The manufacturer offers a discount for longer lengths, and prices a 100 yard roll at 35 cents per inch. I can sell the 70 yards I don't need to interested buyers for 30 cents per inch. As an example, if your home theater had walls 7.5 feet high, and a ceiling 15 feet wide, you would need a 30 foot (=10 yards = 360 inches) long swath, which would price out to $108.00 + shipping.

To be clear, I am not purchasing the 100 foot roll from the manufacturer, but from someone else who purchased the roll, but has decided to go in a different direction and now doesn't need the material. I am soliciting possible interest, to see whether I should purchase the entire roll, or just forget about it.

I am posting this in both the For Sale forum (although its a solicitation of interest and not yet for sale) and in the CRT forum.

If you are interested please either post in this thread, or PM me.

William

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Professional Blackout Material: Protostar Flocked Light Reply with quote

wkosmann wrote:
I have an opportunity to purchase a 100 yard roll of 30" wide Protostar flocked light trap material (http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm).

I'd be interested in maybe 8' of it. I don't want to line the walls of my theater, but this would be great stuff for screen frames. Right now I have a DIY blackout screen with no actual frame. I could just cut strips of this, stick it onto the screen material (the screen is oversized), and I'd finally have a nice-looking frame. At least if you didn't look too closely. Smile

Would you ship it rolled?
Gary
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be interested with some to turn my 12 16x9 screen to the 2.35 scope when i finally do the blend. So count me in for enough for that. Not sure the actual amount so I should order a bit more or at least a 13 foot section .

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, too bad this doesn't come in paint form. I'd cover the entire HT room with it.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad it isn't any wider than 30".
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures. I would have been all over this two weeks ago. Just a week ago, I spent about 4 hours over two evenings cutting and stapling ~5"-wide strips of velveteen around the trim (ranch casing if you're interested) I picked up at Lowes. It would have cost a little more, but this would have been a piece of cake.

Hmmm... Maybe I should still get some to put on the sides of my maind speakers and the tops of the subs to cut down on reflections...

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take 10 feet of it. 10' x 30" will do all 4 speakers in the front (left, right, center, sub)

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
larryk

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take as much as 20 feet if there is enough to go around.
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. In less than 1 day, it looks like I have interest in at least 50 feet of this stuff.

The 100 yard roll has 300 feet. I need 30 yards, or 90 feet. That leaves 210 feet available. There is way more than enough to go around.

William

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 100 yards is 900 square feet. At 2.5 feet in width, that's about 360 feet in length, correct? How much was the shipping, and can you post a picture of the material (up close)? I may need to buy a roll.

Wow, I just checked the URL you posted. This is self-adhesive backed. Cool! But, I am not seeing 100' rolls of this stuff. The list 200 and 500 inch lengths, but not 1200" (100').

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan,
> So, 100 yards is 900 square feet. At 2.5 feet in width, that's about 360 feet in length, correct? <

I don't think so. 100 yds is 750 sq.ft. At 2.5 ft wide, that's 300 ft in length (=100 yds). It's all linear measure, being offered here for $3.60 per linear foot (2.5' wide).

William,
I can use at least 10' myself. After I get a chance to give it some thought, I may think of a use for up to 20', but I can commit to 10' for now.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: The Decision Point Reply with quote

Dear Gary;

I will ship the material rolled. I have a bunch of poster tubes that ought to work just fine.

Dear Wan Man;

I don't own the material, so I can't post a picture of it. I provided a link to the manufacturer's web site. I believe there are images of the material on that web site.

Dear All;

By my count, I have ~60 linear feet of expressions of interest. As soon as it reaches 100 linear feet, I will take the financial risk and purchase the roll. At the rate we are going, this should happen by this weekend.

I plan to pick it up at the owner's house on my way to New York City, the weekend of December 6/7. I would be shipping out purchased lengths the following week. This should allow plenty of time for individuals to firm up their orders, pay me via Paypal, and provide shipping addresses. I plan to handle the entire transaction in this thread, along the lines of my hero Athanasios, ala the red CRT element transaction of a few months ago.

Thank you all who have expressed interest.

William

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Professional Blackout Material: Protostar Flocked Light Reply with quote

wkosmann wrote:
Dear All;

I have an opportunity to purchase a 100 yard roll of 30" wide Protostar flocked light trap material (http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm). William

I would buy 8 feet of this stuff to use as screen border.

Thanks,
Steve

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William,

I could be swayed to buy an extra 10' (so 20' instead of 10') if it's needed to get this order through. I'm flexible.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, count me in for a chunk to play with... it might make a killer portrait backdrop.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
WanMan,
> So, 100 yards is 900 square feet. At 2.5 feet in width, that's about 360 feet in length, correct? <

I don't think so. 100 yds is 750 sq.ft. At 2.5 ft wide, that's 300 ft in length (=100 yds). It's all linear measure, being offered here for $3.60 per linear foot (2.5' wide).

William,
I can use at least 10' myself. After I get a chance to give it some thought, I may think of a use for up to 20', but I can commit to 10' for now.

I guess I was thinking in terms of flooring. And when he said yards I interpreted it as square yards. Hence, one square yard is nine square feet.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in for 10' as well.

Kevin D.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I'll take "Strange things sold on a CRT forum" for 20 feet please Alex.

Er William. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
> Hence, one square yard is nine square feet. <

Yes, that's usually true. Though I once lived in a house with a square yard, that was thousands of square feet. But mostly rectangular yards, except for that unusual one that was L-shaped, when I was a kid. That one wasn't feet, it was acres. At least, my feet were achers, after I got done mowing it with a push mower. Luckily, those feet weren't square.

What were we discussing again?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I am saying is that I did not know fabric was sold 'by the yard' to mean one-dimensional and not two. Smile

Now that I know, the cost-impression changes. Still, I would like to see a sample of this before I run out to buy enough material to cover half my upcoming their room (~520 SqFt of wall & ceiling surface area).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: