Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who uses a High Gain screen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Mr. Green,

since that screen is glass-beaded (hence retroreflective) you need to mention where the PJ is mounted, WRT the viewers. That will have a big impact on the perceived brightness.

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that screen. Is it retro or angular? If it's angular-reflective, and if it honestly has 2.4 gain, I would think you'd see significant hotspotting unless you curved it or made a torus. Sure is a reasonable price.

[EDIT] Ah -- didn't see VG's post. Glass beaded, eh? Most glass-bead screens are fairly "sparkly." Since it's retro, it probably wouldn't work well for ceiling mounted projectors. But since it's retro, that explains why there's no hotspotting.

Re: Ben's comments, I'm surprised you feel so negatively about the Hi Power. I have a friend with a table-mounted G70 (right in the front row) and his Hi Power looks *fabulous*. Yes there is color shifting, but only when you move from one side of the theater to the other. I.e. the screen gets a bit blue if you sit on the left side, a bit red if you sit on the right, but the entire screen is uniform. Unless you're extremely sensitive to perfect color balance, I don't think you'd notice the shift. I never have.

And the image is VERY bright and punchy. Beautiful image. I'd have one myself except it doesn't work with ceiling mounts.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I wanted a retro screen for my AmPro. It sits about a foot over my head when I'm seated. It would make gamming awsum. Thumbs Up

Ohh and on the Wilson art front, I had a sample here that was super shiny, as if someone had taken a rotary polisher to it and knocked the texture on the surface down to buff it up. I hesitated to order after that.

Maybe I should try again.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary commented:
> Re: Ben's comments, I'm surprised you feel so negatively about the Hi Power. <

Yes, that was the most negative evaluation I've ever read. The big problem with the HP is PJ mounting position, and narrow viewing cone. If you can work around those 2 issues, it's a pretty impressive screen. Not just in brightness, but in edge-to-edge uniformity (from any given seating position). It really minimizes edge-falloff.

The viewing cone problems are worsened the closer you sit, and alleviated somewhat if your seating is farther back. It's best suited to a 2-seater front row, and 3 in the back.

AR opined:
> I wanted a retro screen for my AmPro. It sits about a foot over my head when I'm seated. It would make gamming awsum. <

That's absolutely correct. That's an ideal situation for the HP screen: on-axis, and minimal angle between viewer and PJ. Gaming would be pretty awesome too. Wink In that configuration, you'd get well over 2.0 gain (depending on your viewing distance). 2.3-2.5 wouldn't be unreasonable, and with no hotspotting and excellent uniformity side-to-side.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. What material would give me a nice high gain?

CRT.

HD done right!
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy,

Any of the glass-beaded screens would give you 2+. The DaLite High-Power uses micro beads. (_really_ micro beads) They're cheapest if you buy a manual pull-down, then remove the fabric from the roller and tension it, so you don't have waves. Though, of any pull-down with waves (all seem to have them), the DaLite HP exposes them the least.

Mr. Green will have to report on the Elunevision bead-size, but he's already indicated he's very happy with it. Either way, I think you're talking $300 ballpark, +/-, for reasonable screen sizes.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it. I probably could have used that stupid shiny Wilsonart if I had done a horizontal curve.

$300's not a bad price. Is there an easy way to tension the material ( grommet machine and shoe laces perhaps?Wink )

I was asking about a really high gain sometime back. Does anyone still make a 8+ or more gain like the old Sony screens?

CRT.

HD done right!
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Gary commented:
> Re: Ben's comments, I'm surprised you feel so negatively about the Hi Power. <

Yes, that was the most negative evaluation I've ever read.

Embarassed Now I'm doubting myself Embarassed

It's perfectly possible that the uniformity on my CRT is not so great and I'm blaming the screen. I've never had another display on this screen, or another screen with this display so I can't rule out the variables.

However the color shift remains - seated smack dab in the middle, moving my head left or right as little as 12-18" results in color temperature shifts of probably around 1000K in each direction. I have a very standard width, 3 cushion couch centered behind the PJ and by the time you get to the ends, it's pretty significantly tinted red or blue. Does it ruin the picture? Absolutely not. And the punch is still there until you get perhaps 30* off axis. But my house will have a dedicated room and I'll be going with a nice, controllable, large viewing cone low-gain screen.

Didn't mean to sound so down on it, I guess it was a bit harsh. It is about as good as you get get for ambient light performance, and the pop when your eyes are *right* in line with the tubes is phenomenal (mine is under a coffee table - the pop from sitting on the couch is good, but if I lay my face on the table, it's blinding!). I'm just ready to move to a screen with a wide viewing cone and zero color shift so I can calibrate accurately. But if you're looking for ambient light performance, it's probably the way to go.
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the followup, Ben.

Yes, it's got some serious constraints, and they simply rule it out for many. But if it's possible for you to work around them, it's really unique.

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Mr. Green,

since that screen is glass-beaded (hence retroreflective) you need to mention where the PJ is mounted, WRT the viewers. That will have a big impact on the perceived brightness.

I took this picture specifically to show my setup/ seating. As I was told with CRT you should sit right under the projector to get the "sweet spot". As you can see it's in my family room and not a light controlled basement. Thankfully it get's dark at 5Pm these days. Razz Let me know if you need any other info. I see now the screen has some waves to it. I guess that's the down side of having such a large pull down screen. It's obviously brighter in the Sweet spot, but even in the dining room (behind the projector) or sitting off to the side, the image is still nice and bright.

Sorry just noticed the bead size comment... Let me look...

Ok, it's about as coarse as 300 grit sand paper (though not as rough obviously). See the picture with the pen. The camera was only about a foot away with the flash. If you look to the right side you can see the texture of the screen and see how tiny the beads are. They're freaky small. My dad has an old glass bead slide projector screen and the beads are a lot bigger on that screen.

balcony seating.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.47 KB
 Viewed:  11644 Time(s)

balcony seating.jpg

030.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.22 KB
 Viewed:  11648 Time(s)

030.jpg

xmas projection.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.94 KB
 Viewed:  11654 Time(s)

xmas projection.jpg

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know when I first looked at that projector in the picture above I coulnd't see what had it suspended. It's a 'magic' NEC floating CRT. Very Happy

Interesting house, very open concept

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny how the angle worked on that. That's my Chief mount. See my album for pictures of it. My wife wanted the garland around it. It works and the CRT is allowed in the living space so I don't care.

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waves on the screen shouldn't be a big deal. One of the advantages of retro screens is that they're basically insensitive to waves. For the same reason you can't make a torus with a retro -- the angle of the screen doesn't affect the reflection back to the light source -- the little ripples on the screen will probably be unnoticeable from the viewing position.

Looks like your viewing spot is well below the projector -- assuming you sit on the couch, not on that little folding chair. That's similar to my setup. I tested a piece of Hi Power and found it had about 1.0 gain or less at my seated viewing position. If I stood up it was BRIGHT but I didn't plan to watch movies that way! How far are your eyes from the lenses, and what kind of gain are you getting? If you put a white piece of printer paper on the screen and sit in your viewing position, does the paper look white or dark? If you stand up I bet the paper looks dark (because the screen looks so bright).
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green wrote:
That's funny how the angle worked on that. That's my Chief mount. See my album for pictures of it. My wife wanted the garland around it. It works and the CRT is allowed in the living space so I don't care.

How long is that drop pipe for the mount?

CRT.

HD done right!
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Mr. Green wrote:

How long is that drop pipe for the mount?

That particular extension arm is 4 feet to 6 feet. I have a 12 foot ceiling so I needed to get a long one. I have it at about 5 feet. I'm 6'1" and if the couch wasn't in the way the projector would just brush my hair. If you get a short 6" tube that doesn't extend it's much cheaper. I like how you could run cables through it if needed.

Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Waves on the screen shouldn't be a big deal. One of the advantages of retro screens is that they're basically insensitive to waves. For the same reason you can't make a torus with a retro -- the angle of the screen doesn't affect the reflection back to the light source -- the little ripples on the screen will probably be unnoticeable from the viewing position.

Looks like your viewing spot is well below the projector -- assuming you sit on the couch, not on that little folding chair. That's similar to my setup. I tested a piece of Hi Power and found it had about 1.0 gain or less at my seated viewing position. If I stood up it was BRIGHT but I didn't plan to watch movies that way! How far are your eyes from the lenses, and what kind of gain are you getting? If you put a white piece of printer paper on the screen and sit in your viewing position, does the paper look white or dark? If you stand up I bet the paper looks dark (because the screen looks so bright).

Even to the naked eye the waves aren't that noticeable. It was only in the picture it made them obvious. The folding chair was just up there to get it out of the way. We'd just finished decorating and hadn't cleaned up yet.

I'll check out the papaer thing and let you know.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, probably the only reason you can see the ripples so clearly in the picture is because you're sooo far off to the side. At that sharp angle, the ripples are very noticeable. Even though the retro screen isn't very sensitive to angle, it will show some difference between "angled toward the camera" and "angled almost away from the camera" ! The far side of each ripple is almost facing away from the camera, so the flash barely hits it & not much bounces back to the camera. From the viewing position that shouldn't be an issue.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who makes a really high gain material these days? Something stupid like 13 or 14 gain?

CRT.

HD done right!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, Reynolds??

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Ummm, Reynolds??

You know I'm about 2 years too late. My friends father worked at Alcan, the produced some thick aluminium foil so think if you put a single fold in it would stand like a birthday card. It was also 4 foot across on the roll. Wish I had a roll. I'd try the back ( duller ) side of the foil as a screen.

I did do a little test with some regular foild and, when curved it looked pretty damn good.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: