Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What ~$1000 DLP to buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: What ~$1000 DLP to buy? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yeah, never figured I'd post this but...

I have a customer in Chicago that works for a company that has four Marquee 8500s. Strange thing is, he can't SELL them to be due to company rules, but he can trade them. Thumbs Up

I'm looking for a 'decent' DLP that will give decent bang for the buck around the $1K price point to ship to him so I can grab the Marquees.

I know there's no markup on the digitals, but I also don't want him going to Costco and finding the projector I'm trading him for $1K worth of stuff for $800.

Any suggestions, even on where to buy online?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme going digital!!!! To bad you can't make an anagram with dlp from your name.Mr. Green

Is this a business pj or a HT pj?
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a business PJ you are looking for. Dell has a bunch at reasonable prices.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
SisterOfMercy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell even has a DLP projector called the 1209s ! Unfortunately, it's a piece of crap.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest Optoma HD65 (720p), it seems to be $999 at several places in the US.
It's the same spec than HD70, which I have, except smaller. The biggest problem of several
small problems, is the total lack of lens shift. And it's for HT use.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taxman wrote:
I'd suggest Optoma HD65 (720p), it seems to be $999 at several places in the US.
It's the same spec than HD70, which I have, except smaller. The biggest problem of several
small problems, is the total lack of lens shift. And it's for HT use.

I would not use that as a business projector though.

Curt, this is for business use, right?

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business/Home... what's the difference? When the bulb dies throw it away and buy the next gen unit.
taxman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly...
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
Business/Home... what's the difference? When the bulb dies throw it away and buy the next gen unit.

Despite the smart ass nature of the comment, I'll tread it seriously. The difference is simple: price. In home theater you care about picture quality (color accuracy, grayscale tracking, shadow detail, etc). In business projectors, you don't. HT projectors cost more for the same resolution as business projectors because they cost more to develop and manufacture. If you are going to use it in a business setting, it is just plain stupid to pay the extra cost for a home theater caliber projector.

jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dave... Neutral Had to give the digitals a jab... Rolling Eyes
taxman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah. And then there's the brightness requirement. Dedicated HT room can usually be darkened. But a typical meeting room can not or will not be darkened. So the PJ has to be very bright. PQ itself is non-issue. Of course keeping that in mind Optoma HD65 may be a wrong choice...
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's price and brightness to consider. Those are both important considerations - especially brightness. Home theater projectors usually sacrifice brightness for better contrast - not good for a corporate projector. Then, there's resolution and aspect ratio to consider.

Almost without exception, people will be using business projectors in a corporate setting to display PowerPoint presentations - PowerPoint Presentations that are designed to be displayed with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Yes, you could buy a WXGA projector and use only the center portion to display an XGA resolution, but why pay the extra? Just get a <$999 Dell XGA DLP projector with ~3000 lumens and be done with it.

There are a slew of projectors that will work just famously for 3 years to do exactly what it was designed for: Display PowerPoints in a well-lit room and look acceptable doing it. A Dell would be a perfect choice because they have a good exchange program. Look at this 3000 lumen XGA DLP for a mere $712 with a 2-year advance exchange warranty:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Projectors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=222-1451

Pretty hard to beat for PowerPoint.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Look at this 3000 lumen XGA DLP for a mere $712 with a 2-year advance exchange warranty:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Projectors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=222-1451

Pretty hard to beat for PowerPoint.

Yep, that is the one we use in the main conference room of my company.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to spend some more money, you could get one with DVI and get a little sharper pic, but it is just mainly PowerPoint we're talking about... Who really cares how sharp the PowerPoint slides are if you're sleeping, anyway?

Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: