Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Advice on speaker purchase?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Advice on speaker purchase? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Guys,

I found a pair of Cerwin Vega U-351's locally for $100, in the little bit of research I've done it looks like these are early 80's vintage with 15" drivers. Has anyone here used these speakers and could comment on them. I'm looking for something to center my room around that will have a better bass response than the JBL L-77's I'm using now.

I'd also like to add that I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but do like things to sound reasonbly good, my other speakers are 2(Electrovoice SP-12 drivers in homemade boxes) 2(JBL L-77 that are being refoamed) and 2(Coral audio bookshelf speakers)

Here's a picture

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build an a/b switch and compare them.

CVs are very bass heavy for rock and roll, you can't beat them. The mid highs are not really accurate, the tweets are pretty shrill compared to domes, but they are LOUD.

Smile
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Build an a/b switch and compare them.

CVs are very bass heavy for rock and roll, you can't beat them. The mid highs are not really accurate, the tweets are pretty shrill compared to domes, but they are LOUD.

Smile

Thanks for the reply Curt,

Bass heavy was really what I was looking to hear, I don't have a sub at this time (go on laugh and point at me Wink )
and I was hoping I may be able to get these CV's and fill in a bit of my lack of bass.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh damn straight they will.

Go look on eBay for 'Audio Control'.

About 15 years ago they made an eq/box that would take the lowest octave of bass and transpose it down another octave.

The instructions say:

If you hear distortion, take the bass eq sliders down a bit.

THe 'distortion' you heard was usually the voice coil bottoming out!!!!!

Go get yourself one of those.. and wait for the eviction notice..Very Happy
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing HT or music? If HT and less than $100, then you might try these. They were on sale for $60 and there were some decent reviews on them. For HT, they may be more than adequate. For a great sub, you could try building a LLT as discussed over at HTshack. I have listened to one that was built for $400 including amp and 99% of the population would be more than satisfied. An IB could be done for not much more, but then you have to do some home improvement.Smile

Curt Palme wrote:

I hope not as that would be some mighty mean parents. Mr. Green
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Are you doing HT or music? If HT and less than $100, then you might try these. They were on sale for $60 and there were some decent reviews on them. For HT, they may be more than adequate. For a great sub, you could try building a LLT as discussed over at HTshack. I have listened to one that was built for $400 including amp and 99% of the population would be more than satisfied. An IB could be done for not much more, but then you have to do some home improvement.Smile

Curt Palme wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

I think I'll pass on the speakers you linked to, I'm happy with what I have now and was looking at the CV's as a possible supplement to my current setup or as a second setup for our machine/welding shop.

I really should spend some time researching subs as I know what I have now really isn't cutting it. I have no problems doing "home improvements" for an IB setup , I've cut holes in the ceiling/floor/walls many times to experiment with things and would do it again I knew I would be getting something out of it.

I'm safe from any eviction notices as long as none of these toys make it in the house, as my mother has said "you can do what you want, but don't let me ever catch you with THAT in my house Mr. Green

Thanks Guys
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Curt Palme wrote:

Do you have a link to the LLT info on HTshack? Thumbs Up

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, hometheatershack.com. I haven't been over there in months but here it is http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-sealed-ported/

I should mention that Steve is a little zealous in his belief of the superiority of the LLT. I believe a DIY sonosub LLT is a very inexpensive way to achieve high performance bass, but it isn't the only way to skin a cat.Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to follow my speaker cable advice on THIS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1084926
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Be sure to follow my speaker cable advice on THIS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1084926

You kill me Curt. Smile

For those that didn't look at the post Curt made over there, he wrote:

Curt Palme at AVS wrote:
I've found the following:

Nordost- generally considered a very transparent cable. I like the Valhallas over the Supreme Reference, to my ears they are not worth the extra $.

Aeros cable- found it to be flat sounding, dull, not well focused.

Audioquest Everest- very spatial, lively, esp. for classical music.

Revelation Audio Reference- very detailed, but with moderate resolution of the upper midrange, somwhat tiring over long periods of time.

Purist Musaeus- lifeless, muddy

Cardas Golden Presence- excellent bass, slightly shrill mids, moderate highs. Good soundstage.

Kimber- a good alternate to the Nordost.

For those that don't know, Curt lives by the "cables are cables" mantra (which I also believe within reason) and this post of his is all made up. Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, after all the audiofools came in with 'let's see how long it takes for the haters to show up' posts, I decided to switch teams.

Wait, that didn't come out right..Very Happy
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme at AVS wrote:

Curt, NO WAY!!!! Purist Musaeus sound perky and spirited and are anything but lifeless, I really think you need listen to them again. Thumbs Down

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Curt Palme at AVS wrote:

Curt, NO WAY!!!! Purist Musaeus sound perky and spirited and are anything but lifeless, I really think you need listen to them again. Thumbs Down

Mike

Say aren't those made in West Korea? Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ClaudiaPipkens

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey u have selected nice speakers but i have to say u that what are the watts of it. Because one of my friend had these type of speakers but he build it by somebody and he had it for just 75$. And its quality was also very good. So i want to suggest u that just find it at other places also so u will get better idea.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Curt Palme at AVS wrote:

Mike

Hey, that whole post was complete sarcasm. I googled some high end speaker brands that I'd never heard of before (stole the names off audiogon I think), then came up with my best descriptive words, good and bad and threw them at the products at random.

You bought into that post? Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the old Cervin Vega's, boy that brings back some memory's. If you have JBL now then gt the CV's if they're about 50 or 60 bucks for the pair.

\
Spanky Ham wrote:
Are you doing HT or music? If HT and less than $100, then you might try these. They were on sale for $60 and there were some decent reviews on them.
decent reviews on them? Compared to what, a Walfart boombox? Laughing

kal wrote:
For those that don't know, Curt lives by the "cables are cables" mantra (which I also believe within reason) and this post of his is all made up. Smile

Kal
well if Curt actually sat down and listened then his opinion would be more than just a forum joke. The descriptions of how a cable sounds is meaningless because it's just how it sounded in that system. However changing interconnects changes the sound of a system because the impdedance of the line level signal changes, it's that simple. This can be caused by cable design (co-axial VS. co-linear), material used, gauge of wire, etc.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, we could argue for DAYS Dragan. I also disagree with what you say above. Smile

While you are technically correct, that the impedance of a cable can change depending on the construction, it should NOT affect the sound of the system at all, as the output impedance of any device (preamp or power amp) is supposed to be low enough to overcome any slight cable changes.

The only cases where I've seen that a speaker cable changes the sound of a system is where the speaker cable has a super high capacitance, and causes an poorly designed esoteric amp to oscillate, taking out the tweeters. That happened to an audiophile guy locally, he'd take out tweeters on his Wilson Audio speakers every 6 months or so until Ken hotte (KBK on avs) flew out and installed generic Home Depot cable, which eliminated his blown tweeters.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Oh, we could argue for DAYS Dragan. I also disagree with what you say above. Smile

While you are technically correct, that the impedance of a cable can change depending on the construction, it should NOT affect the sound of the system at all, as the output impedance of any device (preamp or power amp) is supposed to be low enough to overcome any slight cable changes.
should not's and supposed to be's? I don't think anything in the electronics Industry has ever operated the way it was supposed to on the tech sheets.

Curt Palme wrote:
The only cases where I've seen that a speaker cable changes the sound of a system is where the speaker cable has a super high capacitance, and causes an poorly designed esoteric amp to oscillate, taking out the tweeters. That happened to an audiophile guy locally, he'd take out tweeters on his Wilson Audio speakers every 6 months or so until Ken hotte (KBK on avs) flew out and installed generic Home Depot cable, which eliminated his blown tweeters.
I thought the discussion was about interconnects, not speaker cable? Anyway, I've soldered on and then cut off connectors on speaker cables and heard a very noticeable difference with bare wire, same cable. So if an amp is supposed to be immune to impedance then I haven't heard that amp yet. Your right though, until we sit down and listen then this discussion is endless.
AFA high capacitance speaker wire, most company's advertise how low theirs is. I do realize though there are morons out there buying some very expensive garbage.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

\
Spanky Ham wrote:
Are you doing HT or music? If HT and less than $100, then you might try these. They were on sale for $60 and there were some decent reviews on them.
decent reviews on them? Compared to what, a Walfart boombox? Laughing

kal wrote:

Kal
well if Curt actually sat down and listened then his opinion would be more than just a forum joke. The descriptions of how a cable sounds is meaningless because it's just how it sounded in that system. However changing interconnects changes the sound of a system because the impdedance of the line level signal changes, it's that simple. This can be caused by cable design (co-axial VS. co-linear), material used, gauge of wire, etc.

Well, I know you have a smile after the comment, but it wasn't just mag reviews. I know a couple of people who have pretty good knowledge of audio gave them a thumbs up for the price.

I agree with Curt. Good story Curt.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Hey, that whole post was complete sarcasm.

Oh yeah and my reply was too...Hell I did one of these online hearing test... I can't hear anything above 8Khz, too much loud rock and roll when I was younger. I wouldn't even be able to hear perky and sprited.

Anyone want to try the test it's here.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: