Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: GammaX add-on accessory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HKmod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yes it's possible. Before exchanging the unit, which you can do anytime through email, please try to answer one more question:
First If you can take a picture of how you have them mounted in your setup it may help.
But especially, do you have the HDF2 switch on rgbhv ?

Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HKmod wrote:
Yes it's possible. Before exchanging the unit, which you can do anytime through email, please try to answer one more question:
First If you can take a picture of how you have them mounted in your setup it may help.
But especially, do you have the HDF2 switch on rgbhv ?

I don`t use HDF or HDF2. I connect the gammax directly to the vga out of my htpc, and from there i use a 2 m cable to my Barco 1209. There was a short (20 cm long) monitorcable that came with the gammax that I tried both with and without.

Best Regards.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Murillo,

You have the GammaX backwards. It's designed to connect to the HDfury1/2 so what you think is the input plug is actually the output.

You'll need a couple of VGa gender changers like these in order to hook it up:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-SVGA-Gender-Changer-Female-to-Female-Adaptor-F-F_W0QQitemZ270406528798QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41993QQcmdZViewItem

AND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-SVGA-Gender-Changer-Adaptor-M-M-Male-to-Male-15-Pin_W0QQitemZ260364227282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3c9eead2d2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

You will need one male to male and one female to female to get things up and running.

Regards,
Jeremy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
HKmod

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup more likely, if no HDfury in use, then it might be the case.

HDfury have VGA MALE (SUB-D HD15), that connect to the VGA FEMALE INPUT of Gamma X
Output of GAMMA X is MALE VGA !!

Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
HI Murillo,

You have the GammaX backwards. It's designed to connect to the HDfury1/2 so what you think is the input plug is actually the output.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-SVGA-Gender-Changer-Female-to-Female-Adaptor-F-F_W0QQitemZ270406528798QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41993QQcmdZViewItem

AND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-SVGA-Gender-Changer-Adaptor-M-M-Male-to-Male-15-Pin_W0QQitemZ260364227282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3c9eead2d2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

You will need one male to male and one female to female to get things up and running.

Regards,
Jeremy

I did like you said and it worked, many thanks for your support. I noticed that the colours looked a little washed out when using the unit, do I need to do a competly new color calibration with the gammax or is it just a matter of setting the gammax a bit lower?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
HI Murillo,

AND

Regards,
Jeremy

I did like you said and it worked, many thanks for your support. I noticed that the colours looked a little washed out when using the unit, do I need to do a competly new color calibration with the gammax or is it just a matter of setting the gammax a bit lower?

You need to adjust for the best gamma then recalibrate. Glad you got it working.

CRT.

HD done right!
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Murillo wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
HI Murillo,

AND

Regards,
Jeremy

You need to adjust for the best gamma then recalibrate. Glad you got it working.

OK thanks again.....
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsmith808 wrote:
Just as a note for anyone who gets a gamma boost add on, make sure to set your source to RGB Full, a.k.a. 0-255. I had my PS3 set up for RGB limited, and the gamma adjustment would raise the lowest black level as well. When I set it to RGB Full, the absolute black level would stay the same no matter how high I turned the gamma knob on the Box1020. I guess that's because the Box1020 gamma is designed to raise the brightness level of everything above 0ire.

Hope that made sense. It was probable already stated before, but it was new to me.

How does one set the full (0-255) on a ATI graficscard? I suspect that mine is set for limited (16-235) since the colors look a bit washed out. I am using pdvd9 and windvd9 to play dvds.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
johnsmith808 wrote:
Just as a note for anyone who gets a gamma boost add on, make sure to set your source to RGB Full, a.k.a. 0-255. I had my PS3 set up for RGB limited, and the gamma adjustment would raise the lowest black level as well. When I set it to RGB Full, the absolute black level would stay the same no matter how high I turned the gamma knob on the Box1020. I guess that's because the Box1020 gamma is designed to raise the brightness level of everything above 0ire.

Hope that made sense. It was probable already stated before, but it was new to me.

How does one set the full (0-255) on a ATI graficscard? I suspect that mine is set for limited (16-235) since the colors look a bit washed out. I am using pdvd9 and windvd9 to play dvds.

If you don't get an answer here you may want to ask in our HTPC forum here as well (since it's really an HTPC question). Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Foe-hammer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY want the Gammax for my Sony fw900 monitor. I've been using Windas to revitalize the monitor through out the years, but its to the point that it needs more contrast (need more brightness without loosing black levels). The only thing keeping me from buy a Gammax now from you guys (since you have it in stock) is monoprice.com has it for only $56, but they don't have them in stock. Buy now and pay almost double, or wait for who knows how long. Decisions, decisions.....
HKmod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamma-X is not like HDfury which can operate without External PSU.
The PSU is mandatory when using Gamma-X (except if you have HDF2 powered in the chain)

Monoprice do not ship any PSU or USB+5v cable with it.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monoprice also does not include free shipping.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you buy it from monoprice it will show up unusable. Without the power supply it's goes into paperweight mode...

CRT.

HD done right!
Foe-hammer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the power supply and shipping. Though they do offer the needed power supply (AC Power Adapter 5.0V/500mA plus usb cable) for $2, and shipping for both would be $3. So ya, it comes down to waiting for who knows how long and save roughly $40, or get it now with curtpalme.com. And i'm usually not that patient when there is no in stock fixed date.
Foe-hammer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just received a gammax and hooked to the 360 and to a fW900 sony crt monitor. So far i'm not impressed. I can get a more vibrant image without it then with it. As i turn up the dial on the gammax, it seems to just washout the picture, instead of boosting the contrast. But i have confirmed that the black levels stay consistent. It is an odd thing. I have the 360 set to expanded lvls (full) so that it is using the 0-255 range.

I also have the power supply and usb cable to go along with it, but it makes zero difference in picture quality if i use the power supply or not. The power supply does light up the blue led in the gammax when the gammax is not connected to the monitor. The blue led also lights up when the gammax is connected to the monitor and xbox without the power cable.

Sigh... and i was really hoping that i'd get improved picture quality. Could the gammax be defective?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear: The GammaX (as well as other gamma boost devices like the Box1020/21/40 series) boosts gamma at the low end of the signal. it does not boost contrast as you wrote.

The purpose of gamma boost is to have the signal "come out of black" faster to make up for the non-linear characteristic of some displays such as CRT displays. These displays need a little "bump" on the low end of the signal (0-30 IRE) to make sure image information isn't lost. I've always used some form of gamma boost on my CRT projector (a Barco Cine 8 Onyx) because without it the low end of the image was too dark and shadow/dark details were missing or muted.

Have you measured your gamma curve before adding the gammaX? I have a 'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' guide here that walks you through it: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
After measuring the before results, you can turn up the gamma boost a bit and re-measure. Repeat until you get into the right gamma boost range (2.2 - 2.5).

A lot of people just eyeball it too. Just make sure not to use too much. The common mistake that people do is crank it up (more is better right?) Smile It may seem like a subtle change at first but once you've used it correctly for a while and then turn it off, it's mostly then that you'll really start to notice what you were missing before. I could never go back to *NOT* using gamma boost on my CRT display.

Kal

Maurice089

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GammaX yeeeah!"
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice089 wrote:
GammaX yeeeah!"

You like yours do you?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: