Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Insane subwoofer project. Anybody got a link I can use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Insane subwoofer project. Anybody got a link I can use? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I REALLY don't need a sub but I'm going to build one anyway. My office in my basement is roughly 15'X20'. I have an 84" screen that I watch movies on when I ride the eliptical. For sound I have 2 Bose 701 speakers up front with a Bose VCS10 center channel and Bose 101s for surround. I am driving it with a Pioneer VSX-D811S.

Stop! Everyone hates Bose. Fine. Moving on.

The 701 speakers are series one and don't have the powered subs built in. They just have 2 8" internal speakers each wired out of phase in a push/pull arrangment. They have quite a bit of base but I'l like just a little more.

About a year ago I bought some subwoofer panel amps and a bunch of bass shakers. My wife didn't like them. I have 2 bass shakers wired to my recliner in my office powered by a 70watt amp. What I have left is a very nice, panel-mount, 300 watt sub-amp with a variable cross-over built into it.

I was thinking of building a 15" subwoofer. I remember from my car-audio days that sealed enclosure boxes sound better than ported ones. Any suggestions or links to suggestions? Stupid project, right? Still sounds like fun.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Insane subwoofer project. Anybody got a link I can use? Reply with quote

whats6x7 wrote:

Stop! Everyone hates Bose. Fine. Moving on.

IMO the old Bose X01 series were not that bad. It's the cubes everyone hates.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your budget? you might be able to get something decent without building , but if you really want to build , i think in general terms ported subs can provide more output with less power but typically require a bigger box. sealed are supposed to sound better, but i like ported from why i have heard.
sparky_grl

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, it's cheaper to buy something ready made, but not nearly as fun of a project.

I have personally liked front firing subs cabinets, have always hated bandpass boxes.

Why not buy a pro 15" sub, EV or JBL off Craigslist or fleabay, such as an EV 15X, 15L or 15B, JBL 2220, 2225 or some later model, then download specs of a cabinet, and build a box...Smile

DOH, someone's been logging on from my 'puter again... Curt
-Pjackso

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build a kit, then you shouldn't have a problem.

But it you plan to build it without any plans - then be sure to download "WinISD" and check the speaker&box parameters.
Do this BEFORE YOU BUILD IT !!!

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

Let just say, I've made a couple speaker boxes that didn't sound so good. This program will save you some disappointment down the road.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CurtPalme wrote:
I have personally liked front firing subs cabinets, have always hated bandpass boxes.

Thanks for the input guys. I've done some more reading and I think I'm going to go with a sealed box and a 12" sub. This big-ass 300Watt panel amp I have should have no problem driving the woofer and I can build it into the side of the box.

2 Questions.

1. Why front firing instead of down firing?

2. I put a 12" sub into the hatch of my Mustang GT back in 1988. The damn thing took up 90% of the hatchback. I remember I made a wedge-shaped box because square boxes were suppose to degrade the sound quality. Looked cool in the GT but I'm not sure how it would look in my office. Does it really sound that much better than a simple box?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fell into what could be a really good deal. I need an opinion though. How does 1 12" or 15" sub compare to say 2 or 3 separate 8" subs in their own, individual cabinets wired together as one?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say insane subwoofers??

FOUR, yes FOUR 15" woofers mounted to my ceiling Twisted Evil

both in one panorama - big drivers-small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  282.37 KB
 Viewed:  10923 Time(s)

both in one panorama - big drivers-small.jpg

whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
Did someone say insane subwoofers??

FOUR, yes FOUR 15" woofers mounted to my ceiling Twisted Evil

JJJJEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!! So do you have to take a piss after every explosion on screen?

The reason I was asking about the 8" subs is that I had forgotten that the cabinet i got with my bass-shaker kit had a sub built in. It is the sub out of this system with no amplifier . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Spherex-51000-6-Piece-Surround-System/dp/B0006PY3DY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1226322940&sr=8-2

and I know where I can pick up few more. I thought it might be col to seal up the amp panel hole and then wire 2 or 3 of these in series around my office.

What do you think?

btw - Why ceiling mount? I mean, I guess sub placement isn;t really critical but I've never seen them on the ceiling. Cool.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, do you realize how much power you are wasting with four 15" subs mounted on the ceiling. Couldn't you get by with only one, seems like a terrible waste of energy. Mr. Green

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one, Mike! Laughing

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the other side of the world was upside down! Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats6x7 wrote:
btw - Why ceiling mount? I mean, I guess sub placement isn;t really critical but I've never seen them on the ceiling. Cool.

That's an infinite baffle (IB) setup. It uses the entire space outside the room (in this case, Mark's attic) to contain the "backwave" from the drivers. It's highly efficient and can generate wicked SPLs. I've heard that once you hear one, you're hooked. Some people use attics, some use basements or crawl spaces, and some use different rooms.

In my case, IB just isn't practical, since my goal of sound isolation and the side effects of IB are somewhat at odds with one another. OK, I was being sarcastic - you can't have as a goal sound isolation and use an IB sub, since by definition, you're using another part of the house as part of the sub enclosure. If you went up in Mark's attic, there would be nearly as much bass as in his theater. IIRC, Mark's setup is in a completely different structure or isolated from the main house, somehow - which would be ideal for an IB setup.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Mark, do you realize how much power you are wasting with four 15" subs mounted on the ceiling. Couldn't you get by with only one, seems like a terrible waste of energy. Mr. Green

Mike

Well, yes and no.

Yes, energy needed to make and ship the drivers.

But they are so efficient that they take only a few watts to shake the room, so over the long run, I use less energy Wink
Ray Cendroski

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you haven't seen it, here's the world's most insane home subwoofer project to serve as an inspiration.

Too bad your basement floor is already poured:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Meet-the-World-039-s-Most-Insane-Intriguing-and-Ultimately-Biggest-Subwoofer-90193.shtml

Ray
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice room. Makes me wanna spin some vinyl.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
bomrat

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my setup, diy... 2 cabinets are running now and its more than enough for most people, i do have 4 cabinets though..
my next theater Smile

http://bomrat.org/hometheater_website/sub_project/sub_project.htm
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomrat wrote:
this is my setup, diy... 2 cabinets are running now and its more than enough for most people, i do have 4 cabinets though..
my next theater Smile

Where are the finished picture in the room?
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomrat wrote:
my next theater Smile

Arli,
I'm still trying to find where to buy the drivers.............

wallace

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: