Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Selling working projectors for parts? Should it be allowed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Its deja vu all over again...

I recall just about this exact discussion going on years before, only substitute "avsforum" for "curt" every time....

And we all know how *great* the avsforum classified section is....
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
I think you should at least be a member to sell items on the site!!

+1

wallace

Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Heck if we can run eBay out of business, I'm all for it..Very Happy

I LIKE IT!!!! You better get on registering a domain name quick. If any squaters read this, www.curtpalbay.com will be gone faster than you can blink.

Personally I say I don't care. I've leached enough info of off here that I can't complain if you start charging. They always have craigslist.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this thread started a flurry of new ads in Buy & Sell....
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Tough call. A fee to post in the classifieds $1-2 each would have been $1600-3200 in my pocket (50 views per page, right, 32 pages currently). Cheaper than eBay or Videogon, a captive audience geared towards CRT and home theater.

That's illogical Curt. You're assuming that everyone that posted here would have had no problems paying the $1-2, which isn't true., 90% of the people may not have paid. Yes, it may only be $1-2 but you'd be surprised how many people don't do something because the price went from FREE to $1.

wallace123456 wrote:
I post stuff for sale here and it's not just crt parts. Not sure if it's tacky for me to do that or not, but I would rather sell something here for a cheaper price than on ebay for more. Embarassed

I see no issue with posting something non CRT related here. You're hopefully selling to someone that you at least know to some degree and they know you and that's a good thing.

Curt Palme wrote:
I'll have Kal check on what's required to set something like that up. The honor system might work for 25% of us, but it's way too easy to 'forget' to pay, esp when times are tight.

To do something that automatically takes 10% of the sale prices and gives it to Curt would require the payment to go through the site here otherwise what's stopping someone from telling the system that it cost only $2? This would unfortunately be a lot of work. I can't think of how it would even work let alone where I'd find the hundreds of hours to code this. Wink

The only thing that would definitely work is a per-post fee. In other words pay $X to be able to post. Again, lots of work. I did some searches and didn't find any mods that would allow something like this. But more importantly, I don't think it would not be worth the effort (read below).

Quote:
Last thing we all need is for the costs of running the site to go way up. Thinking outloud without 'thinking', a one time insertion fee per posting in the classifieds might work, heck, that might even increase traffic. My thinking is that someone will think: Well, if it costs me $1.00 (or whatever) to list, I may as well go through the closet and go through all sorts of stuff I wanna get rid of and list it the one time rather than coming here once a month to list something. THose of us that go through a lot of crap a/v wise might list multiple things regularly. Have a 30 day expiration on all classifieds so you can't bump to the top for years at a time.

I really doubt people would pay however. The traffic here is tiny. AVS has more people online at any given moment than we have entire members! They have a pay to post system in the classifieds so if I wanted to sell something I post there first as there are many more eyeballs that see it as compared to here. If it's FREE to do it here I do it here as well, but if it cost $1 I wouldn't bother.

We have around 3800 users registered now but that's just a drop in the bucket compared to AVS which has 667K registered users. They charge $1-5 to post in their classifieds. If you consider that we have 1/180th of the eyeballs reading classifieds ads, that means we should be charging 0.5 to 2.7 cents for classifieds ads to remain 'equal'.

At 0.5 to 2.7 cents per posting, it's really not worth it.

Those that would pay $1-2 are the die-hard supporters that will do it to support you Curt. They're also the ones that will pay you a commission if you ask for it. I say you just put up an honour system thing: Say every classified costs $1 and they they should pay you that via donations (I can put up the link to Paypal). Be aware that most of the $1 will be eaten up by paypal fees however.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
We have around 3800 users registered now but that's just a drop in the bucket compared to AVS which has 667K registered users. They charge $1-5 to post in their classifieds. If you consider that we have 1/180th of the eyeballs reading classifieds ads, that means we should be charging 0.5 to 2.7 cents for classifieds ads to remain 'equal'. Kal

Kal,
Posting for AVS Club members is FREE!

That's what "bbfarmht" was saying. If you are a "paid" Club Member, then posting could be free (or other charges apply). But if you are not even a paid memebr, then no dice.

And to be honest, this site is more focused towards crt; avs is every damn thing.

wallace

Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Those that would pay $1-2 are the die-hard supporters that will do it to support you Curt. They're also the ones that will pay you a commission if you ask for it. I say you just put up an honour system thing: Say every classified costs $1 and they they should pay you that via donations (I can put up the link to Paypal). Be aware that most of the $1 will be eaten up by paypal fees however.

Kal

I'd like to disagree with the dishonor system being the best way to go, but I can't shoot a hole in anything you said. I think it may not be bad to make this forum where your post doesn't show up unless a moderator approves it. That way you can avoid the parting out my PJ but will sell the whole thing if willing adds.

Nothing is free. If you post, you should buy a movie or twelve off of amazon through this site.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right, 1-2 bucks would only serve Paypal. Try putting a "Classified Proceeds" link in a convinient spot where you post an ad and see how the wind blows. State it is for using the forum classified section and based on honour system - whatever you think is reasonable. It would be an interesting poll. Curt you don't charge now so nothing to loose except more faith in humanity. haha

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, I'd like to see a function where I can mark post as SOLD (and stick those threads somewhere else, or just delete them). That way I can browse only what's really for sale. The mark as sold can only be pressed by the original poster and that's another opportnity to pitch the "Classified Proceeds"
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:

That's what "bbfarmht" was saying. If you are a "paid" Club Member, then posting could be free (or other charges apply). But if you are not even a paid memebr, then no dice.

Who's going to pay $20 to post a classifieds ad when they can post elsewhere for free or for $1-5 and get almost 200x more people seeing it? I seriously doubt someone's going to pay $20 to be able to put up a CRT projector for sale here. $20 is steep.

wallace123456 wrote:
And to be honest, this site is more focused towards crt; avs is every damn thing.

Doesn't matter. It's HT. People love to browse classifieds to see what's there. Like ebay. The fact that it's CRT only here makes it even less interesting to sellers as frankly, nobody's buying CRT projectors or parts anymore. Sellers here are already saying that they're posting stuff for sale here and it just doesn't move. They then post elsewhere and it sells quick.

rod wrote:
Kal, I'd like to see a function where I can mark post as SOLD (and stick those threads somewhere else, or just delete them). That way I can browse only what's really for sale. The mark as sold can only be pressed by the original poster and that's another opportnity to pitch the "Classified Proceeds"

Where you the reader can mark it as sold? Never seen any place use anything like that. Not going to happen. Days of custom development which would break the forum software to future standard upgrades.

Kal

paw

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let non member sell stuff. They may be selling stuff that members want to buy.

I like the idea of a commission to Curt to be allowed to sell PJs.

In some forums, for sell post have to be approved before they appear. That could help with the honor system.

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
wallace123456 wrote:

Who's going to pay $20 to post a classifieds ad when they can post elsewhere for free or for $1-5 and get almost 200x more people seeing it? I seriously doubt someone's going to pay $20 to be able to put up a CRT projector for sale here. $20 is steep.

wallace123456 wrote:

Doesn't matter. It's HT. People love to browse classifieds to see what's there. Like ebay. The fact that it's CRT only here makes it even less interesting to sellers as frankly, nobody's buying CRT projectors or parts anymore. Sellers here are already saying that they're posting stuff for sale here and it just doesn't move. They then post elsewhere and it sells quick.
Kal

Geez, Loueeze! Only trying to help! If it is that so far fetched, the stop the selling activity! My gosh!

My thinking is not that the site will increase in paid membership so Curt can retire, by merely to make it more or less attractive to "become a Club Member". It would also eliminate the need to collect the percentage of posted sales (maybe).

WOW!!! I am really sorry I offended you on this.

Just throwing out some ideas and trying to help.

wallace

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissension amongst the ranks! Very Happy

Chances are, I'll just leave things the way they are. Keep posting ideas though, if it's something that could make me some small income to offset the site costs and possible projector sale losses I'm all in. Oh, and Sparky says she won't marry me until I do better than taking her to McD's more than once a year.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
kal wrote:
wallace123456 wrote:

wallace123456 wrote:

Kal

Geez, Loueeze! Only trying to help! If it is that so far fetched, the stop the selling activity! My gosh!

My thinking is not that the site will increase in paid membership so Curt can retire, by merely to make it more or less attractive to "become a Club Member". It would also eliminate the need to collect the percentage of posted sales (maybe).

You didn't offend at all. I was just responding to your suggestions with what I saw as logical reasons why your suggestions (IMHO) wouldn't work.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Chances are, I'll just leave things the way they are. Keep posting ideas though, if it's something that could make me some small income to offset the site costs and possible projector sale losses I'm all in. Oh, and Sparky says she won't marry me until I do better than taking her to McD's more than once a year.

Well someone just donated $35 to you Curt! One small step... Wink (I've forwarded you the email)

Kal

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
wallace123456 wrote:
kal wrote:
wallace123456 wrote:

wallace123456 wrote:

Kal

You didn't offend at all. I was just responding to your suggestions with what I saw as logical reasons why your suggestions (IMHO) wouldn't work.

Why not try it? If it works, good. If it doesn't, can't say we didn't try.

wallace

km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no right way. There is only the way you want it Curt. No matter what you decide some will like it some won't and some will abuse it.

In principle though do you make sales to people that post items for sale on this site or are only other site visitors benefiting. In the latter case you should consider charging a fee and for the sake of administration then club membership may be preferable as the cost of collecting a small fee may outweigh the income. If its the former then status quo I would think as you could lose sales.
rod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Harvey's makes a beautiful thing! change it up!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

rod wrote:

Where you the reader can mark it as sold? Never seen any place use anything like that. Not going to happen. Days of custom development which would break the forum software to future standard upgrades.

Kal

I'm sure you realize my concept was strictly on the basis of the honour system. You may not have seen it , but that doesn't mean it won't work. In my opinion (and others in this thread) it would work for MAYBE 10-20% of the sellers out there. I should have realized it was canned software and I agree customizing would not be worth the hassle. Anything other than the honour system would likely require a complex system more complex than the entire forum code. This site just doesn't have the volume.
But I'm still sticking with the honour system in this case. I noticed a donation already came through!
I just think a gentle reminder that it cost something to build/support a forum and a donation from the proceeds to your sale would help continue its existence. Very simple to do and anything more is too complex to code, or manage, or police.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Oh, and Sparky says she won't marry me until I do better than taking her to McD's more than once a year.

Way offtopic: I have a friend who took his (now ex-)girlfriend out to dinner once in the 18 months they were together. To the local fastfood-outlet. And he paid half with coupons. He is pretty loaded actually, but has no life (no CRT projector).

I can't add anything to the discussion, that has not already been said, however.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: