Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Selling working projectors for parts? Should it be allowed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Selling working projectors for parts? Should it be allowed? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
While Curt has the final say in something like this and I may just be me, I don't really see the difference between selling a complete working projector, and selling one described as "perfectly good" but parted out as parts.

Curt makes a living off of selling CRT projectors and parts. He doesn't allow the sale of working CRT projectors here but for some reason he does allow parts sales (I wouldn't myself, but Curt's a nicer guy than me).

A posting like this helps sell the entire thing as a unit as everyone knows that it's a completely functional projector (as that's what it says). Someone could simply offer (say) $500 for the entire thing instead of $800 for the parts as listed and off they go...

I've seen a lot of people do this recently as a form a free advertising: They post that they have a functional working projector that they're parting out. I bet most of the time it just gets sold in a PM fully intact. I'm sure many don't do this on purpose (sorry if I made this sound like I'm pointing a finger at you Greg - just wanted to use your post as an example) but I'm just wondering if Curt should reconsider the rules.

Whatcha think Curt? Just a thought....

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'll put a cap on that practice. It's no secret that sales for me are way down this year, so I'm doing some sound installations to supplement my income. Greg and I have done a lot of business in the past, so I wasn't too concened, (and as Pete said, it's an AMPRO!) but allow one, and the rest will follow.
I know I've lost some sales when parts are sold here in the quantity that they are being listed, but OK, from now on, the projector parts listed here MUST BE PARTS. None of this 'the projector is whole and working, but it's being parted out' thing.

Trust me, you don't want this site to go down due to my sales going dead, do ya? Very Happy
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah well a system with rules means sooner or later the rules will be broken. I like the forum but don't find the FS area of any use IMO. I have listed stuff here, waited 2 weeks, then sold it within a day or on Videogon (same price). Maybe others like the FS area but ineviatably some folks will take advanatge of Curt's generosity so maybe it's time has passed. You could just lock it, let the remaining adds run their course, then eventually delete it? Just a thought
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just put a stop to the ads with a whole projector (working or not) in them. That way you couldn't sell a projector that was simply disabled temporarily.
Z-Photo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a hard time believing that an AMPRO was actually "working"....

Smile

The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... I've never seen a functional Ampro.
betel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Curt should try to make money on the "Buy & Sell" section. Maybe only site members would be allowed and then for an additional fee. I question if Curt would actually lose sales if he allowed projectors to be sold. Mainly because Curt is not just selling a projector, but more importantly, he is selling service and piece of mind. Some people value that and some don't. Part of the sale is better than none of the sale. If someone wants to buy an unsupported projector, the fact that Curt doesn't allow it on this site is irrevalent.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

betel wrote:
I think Curt should try to make money on the "Buy & Sell" section. Maybe only site members would be allowed and then for an additional fee. I question if Curt would actually lose sales if he allowed projectors to be sold. Mainly because Curt is not just selling a projector, but more importantly, he is selling service and piece of mind. Some people value that and some don't. Part of the sale is better than none of the sale. If someone wants to buy an unsupported projector, the fact that Curt doesn't allow it on this site is irrevalent.

That wouldn't make much money because (a) there are very few club members, and (b) as someone else stated above it's easier to sell off of sites with more traffic. I doubt anyone would become a member just to sell CRT projectors or parts.

I think Curt should simply not allow any CRT projector sales or CRT projector part sales at all. It's much easier to udnerstand if the rule is: "no sales of crt projectors or crt projector parts please".

It's really a win-win situation as when post elsewhere like videogon they will often include links to Curt's site which just ends up generating more interest in the site and possibly sales for Curt.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
betel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I do a search for anything that has to do with crt projectors, I'm immediately directed to this site. I doubt there is another site with more traffic for people interested in crt. I'm just saying if someone wants to buy an unsupported projector or part they will. Doesn't matter if they buy it here or somewhere else.
rod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Curt should allow PJ sales (working or not). I also think members only should be allowed to post (I think my membership is paid up). I also think a small % fee for posting a PJ would be reasonable.
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call. A fee to post in the classifieds $1-2 each would have been $1600-3200 in my pocket (50 views per page, right, 32 pages currently). Cheaper than eBay or Videogon, a captive audience geared towards CRT and home theater.

I'll leave it the way it is right now, parts sales are allowed, no complete sets, working or not. THe odd person has asked me about posting complete nonworking sets, usually these are obscure (JBL, Harman, Kloss), and I have no problem with that, as that doesn't affect my bottom line.

Keep in mind here people, THIS SITE IS MY INCOME. Maybe not forever, but my mortgage, food and a couple of scheckels to take the g.f out to McDs once a year comes from this site and my eBay activity. I'd have a totally different outlook if I started this as a part time CRT collector if I was retired or won the lottery. But right now I'm not buying lottery tickets and I'm not retired. Very Happy
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best place to reach knowledgeable CRT owners. Videogon and eBay reach more people, but I think most people here would prefer to deal with people here if possible. We know each other.

How about a commission basis? Curt gets 5-10% of any sales, or something like that? eBay gets something close to 5% for a $500 item, and I'd much rather pay Curt than eBay. That might make it worth while to *encourage* people to sell their gear here. It'd probably have to be an honor system, or it's be a pain to manage.
repairguy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
This is the best place to reach knowledgeable CRT owners. Videogon and eBay reach more people, but I think most people here would prefer to deal with people here if possible. We know each other.

How about a commission basis? Curt gets 5-10% of any sales, or something like that? eBay gets something close to 5% for a $500 item, and I'd much rather pay Curt than eBay. That might make it worth while to *encourage* people to sell their gear here. It'd probably have to be an honor system, or it's be a pain to manage.

I would agree that Curt should get a commission on anything sold on the site. Preferring to buy from here is true because we know each other but as you can see sometimes people come on and post something for sale and havn't posted much at all. Under that situation you still dont know who your buying from because they are new.

I would suggest that for now no working projectors for sale but make it a CRTer's code to donate 5 or 10 % of a sale of anything on the site to Curt. Its still the honor system but honorable people would gladly pay. If after some time this process works, then maybe consider doing the same for working projectors. Then at least Curt is still getting a fare share.

I'm sure none of us want to see this site disappear.................................
mike calcott

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales of any type should be restricted to "members" only, this would prevent blow ins with no commitment to the site just logging in to get a free ad.
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post stuff for sale here and it's not just crt parts. Not sure if it's tacky for me to do that or not, but I would rather sell something here for a cheaper price than on ebay for more. Embarassed

I'll be more than happy to go along with a "posting fee" for a percentage of the posted sale amount (regardless of what it eventually sells for).

Now, you all dont mind if I post some dirty socks I have laying around, do ya'? Laughing Laughing

wallace

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have Kal check on what's required to set something like that up. The honor system might work for 25% of us, but it's way too easy to 'forget' to pay, esp when times are tight.

Last thing we all need is for the costs of running the site to go way up. Thinking outloud without 'thinking', a one time insertion fee per posting in the classifieds might work, heck, that might even increase traffic. My thinking is that someone will think: Well, if it costs me $1.00 (or whatever) to list, I may as well go through the closet and go through all sorts of stuff I wanna get rid of and list it the one time rather than coming here once a month to list something. THose of us that go through a lot of crap a/v wise might list multiple things regularly. Have a 30 day expiration on all classifieds so you can't bump to the top for years at a time.

Again, just thoughts off the top of my head. I'm sure if a listing fee applies, we'll see the complainers and whiners come out of the woodwork quickfast..Very Happy

Also thinking out loud, we all barter and trade like crazy, so the final 'price' of an item is probably not what it's listed for. Therefore, getting a small fee up front to simply expose the fact that you have something to sell/trade will cover whatever it goes for in the end.

Heck if we can run eBay out of business, I'm all for it..Very Happy
mike calcott

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea Curt
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I'll have Kal check on what's required to set something like that up. The honor system might work for 25% of us, but it's way too easy to 'forget' to pay, esp when times are tight.

Last thing we all need is for the costs of running the site to go way up. Thinking outloud without 'thinking', a one time insertion fee per posting in the classifieds might work, heck, that might even increase traffic. My thinking is that someone will think: Well, if it costs me $1.00 (or whatever) to list, I may as well go through the closet and go through all sorts of stuff I wanna get rid of and list it the one time rather than coming here once a month to list something. THose of us that go through a lot of crap a/v wise might list multiple things regularly. Have a 30 day expiration on all classifieds so you can't bump to the top for years at a time.

Again, just thoughts off the top of my head. I'm sure if a listing fee applies, we'll see the complainers and whiners come out of the woodwork quickfast..Very Happy

Also thinking out loud, we all barter and trade like crazy, so the final 'price' of an item is probably not what it's listed for. Therefore, getting a small fee up front to simply expose the fact that you have something to sell/trade will cover whatever it goes for in the end.

Heck if we can run eBay out of business, I'm all for it..Very Happy

Seeing how I just posted 2 items FS Embarassed , I'm good with whatever you come up with.

Again, I sell stuff on ebay, and used to on *vs. But, I find it more comfortable on this site (whatever the hell that means) to sell and buy stuff.

And when it comes time to cleaning out the closet, get ready. You might be able to retire of the fees you'll make from me! Mr. Green I am a terrible pack rat!

wallace

Brooklyn

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the status quo... however if you were to add buy/sell thread fees, whats to stop people from editing/bumping the one thread they paid for with new items for sale? It would be more moderator work...however the buy/sell traffic is not too high, so it shouldn't be bad.
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should at least be a member to sell items on the site!!

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: