Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Setting Up a Constant Image Height System
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Setting Up a Constant Image Height System Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Deleted due to the fact that this post runs counter to the site position that "CRTs are always great and digitals always suck."

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted due to the fact that this post runs counter to the site position that "CRTs are always great and digitals always suck."

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 9 times in total
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 pm; edited 6 times in total
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I've come through with my pooper-scooper, and moved off the bulk of my comments that were starting to derail Dave's edumacational postings. Those tangential ramblings on CIH for CRTs and potential superiority for Zooming on digital PJs can now be found here, in their new home.

I'll give Dave a bit of time to move his defensive commentaries over, in-line. (Dave, just hit <edit>, select all, and drop them into a response in the other thread... and all will be intact.) Then I'll move my final comments below, and all will be clean here, except for a slight, lingering odor. Smile Perhaps Kal can then delete the empty slots that are left behind. Not a big deal, in any event.

I'll leave a modified version of this one commentary here, as a branch to a similar discussion with a slightly different emphasis.

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> so if this stuff is not well received because this is a CRT site or a digi vs. CRT in CIH set ups is a more desirable thread or maybe just a "CIH with CRT" thread, I can gladly abandon this write up as not writing it sure takes less time than writing it. <

Well, I'm enjoying it. And even learning some things, since I'm definitely not as up on digital PJ tech as you are. I certainly wouldn't want you to abandon it. And definitely not on my account.

> Personally, I think a digital in CIH vs. CRT in CIH thread would be interesting an enjoyable. However, I don't think it is this thread as it would bury the information <

Yeah, I think you may be right. It wasn't my intention at all to derail things. It was only when I looked back at my _6_ posts that I thought I may have gone a bit overboard. But your discussion was interesting, and I thought it deserved some considered response(s). Perhaps not quite so many, though. Wink

I'm not averse in any way if Kal has the ability and desire to split off my tangential comments into a new thread, with your follow-up comments, as you proposed. Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit, and you could proceed here unencumbered, with your primary topic. My apologies if I've made a mess of your tidy presentation, or discouraged you in any way from continuing, since that was far from my objective.

> Given that, I have resisted pointing out the numerous flaws in your points here. <

OK, Mr. Weisenheimer. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

sorry for spewing so much here in your thread. I wasn't initially planning on so many tangential comments here, but wound up just going, and going... like the EB.

I did want to say that my comments were really meant in a light-hearted manner, and some of your responses seemed to take them as if they were meant as body-slams. My apologies for not expressing myself more clearly.

I'll save the rest for after we get the remainders of the corpsicle moved out of here.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a CRT guy but Get over it Tim ! Dave please continue on with this informative thread on this the DIGITAL, not CRT, forum !!!
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dave keep going.

Dave will be my go-to guy when it's time to switch over to a Digital unit, he'll have the most experince with them than anyone else on this site.

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we clean up this thread to get rid of useless posts? ( like this one)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Person99 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

> since this was a "CIH with a digital" thread, I simply wanted to avoid going off into the weeds with CRT in CIH <

Yep, agreed 100%.

> All comments about digitals (such as the potentially superiority of zooming) belong in this thread <

Okey, dokey. When I get a minute, I'll clean them up and drop the appropriate comments back in above, to avoid confusion. I was just going to clear everything out, in case you wanted to limit this to exposition, rather than comments from the peanut gallery. In retrospect, your introduction...

> This thread is intended as an overview... <

made me think perhaps I shouldn't have posted anything at all (here). Thus the bulk exodus.

> ...and I hope you continue to contribute here. <

Thanks, I will. I'm not so thin-skinned that I'd let Tom being an ass and telling me to "Get over it" would ruffle my feathers too much. Smile jk, Tom.

Seriously, though, I made a number of mistakes here. I started out innocently enough, with a single comment. Then started to get enthusiatic about responding to points you had made that I found quite interesting in a bit more depth, and wound up expending quite a bit of time to do so.

a) I shouldn't have posted so much here. tangential stuff should have gone elsewhere.

b) when I finished, and saw what I had wrought (6 messages) I should have corrected my error immediately. I did not do so, mainly because I had mixed a lot of issues together... some which seemed appropriate here, and others not so much. So I was lazy and just left it all here.

c) I did a poor job of conveying my intentions and tone. Comments were interpreted in a more negative way than intended, and as the writer of them, that's my responsibility. I've never met you, but we've conversed here quite a bit, and I've read most of your posts, and in as much as possible, consider you a friend. Unfortunately, that sometimes leads to taking certain liberties in writing style, or being lax in expression, so the friend takes things the wrong way. When I read your comment "You come to these forums and get hung up with "big dick-itis"..., at first I did a double-take, and said "Moi?", but then realized I'd f'd up in a big way, conveying my intent. Sorry.

I'm not sure if it is even possible to have a calm and intelligent discussion about CRTs and digitals in the same thread. Smile People feel slighted or attacked, become defensive, then become offensive. Wink You start out to play touch football, then everyone decides it would be more fun to tackle and pile on.

For the record, I have 0 problems with digitals (eventually, I suspect most of us will own one... even if it's 10 years down the road), and I think it's great not only that you're exploring them, but willing to take the time here to share your findings. That's invaluable. Neither analog or digital has all positives, so it's good to know the tradeoffs. Some of the stuff I bounce(d) off you is just to get a better read on your opinions and experiences (clarification).

Also, I have no doubt at all that moving to digital was the right move for you, and wouldn't dream of knocking you for it. Like you, I share the disappointment that comes from scope films being presented smaller than 16:9 (or 1.85) content. That just doesn't feel right, but it's a compromise that most of us with CRTs accept, since alternatives are non-trivial. In your case, you decided that CIH was the solution (in mine, I went with CIA).

Once you've decided on CIH, and want a large screen, you've got a dilemma, because CRT isn't well suited for that (for all the reasons you listed). (At least not a single CRT, though blended 8"ers seem like an option). Really big CIH screen + high brightness <> 1 CRT. I KNOW you didn't come to that conclusion casually, but spent a lot of time actually trying a variety of options, in an attempt to see how far you could push CRT. Instead of just asking people, or theorizing, you got empirical and tested things for yourself, so you could be comfortable with your conclusions. I respect that. The one option I thought might have been realistic, due to falling prices, and still met your size/brightness/rez goals, was blended 8"ers (not 9"ers), but I can understand why that might not have been attractive to you.

I also wanted to clarify that my comments regarding the (potential) superiority of Zooming digitals was wishful thinking for the future, in case that was confusing. I certainly do hope that manufacturers give serious thought to what it takes to make a great HT projector, and incorporate some of the stuff we were discussing. For the reality of here and now, which is where you're at, the anamorphic lens is obviously a better solution. For later down the road (which is where I'm coming from), I hope that when I've fried my last set of backup tubes that zooming digitals have not only had all the pieces together, but have done so for some time, so they have fallen in price to a level I can afford.

Lastly, I realize you've had an epiphany regarding brightness, and am very much interested in your comments regarding that topic. But by the same token, you can expect to get some (friendly) questions from me about the possibility of "compensation", where you're focusing on aspects you find good/better about your new digital, and excluding the things you (might) miss from your abandoned CRT. I just want to be clear on what your considered opinions are after reflection, and not just your first emotional response. I'll ask, because I really want to know... not to imply that you're FOS.

Best regards, and carry on, as you were...

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: