Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New audio toy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  

how much do you think this costs, or should cost?
$200. or less
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
$500. or less
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
$750. or more
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: New audio toy Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just bought the last piece I need to make my 2-channel system into truly a pure 2-channel, in other words I won't have my Denon receiver in the signal chain any longer. Very Happy
I will be swapping interconnects around though for movies but tht's ok. So, I was wondering what you guys think this piece cost? Here's a brief description, BTW, it's hand built here in the US, not a Cheap Chinese knock-off Thumbs Up

Quote:
Stereo Tube preamplifier with 3 sets of stereo inputs, 2 sets of stereo outputs. Features: Cast-aluminum Hammond chassis, chromed tube protectors, Stainless steel rails, bullet-proof construction. Upgraded parts are used through the signal chain for enhanced sound quality. 24 v.d.c., 1 amp, outboard power supply.

Tubed pre-amp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.15 KB
 Viewed:  13807 Time(s)

Tubed pre-amp.jpg

Last edited by draganm on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet little tube unit.
I haven't really listened to a tube system but i'm interested in checking one out one of these days.
My two channel system concise of a creek 5350amp, NAD M55 cd player and B&W speakers.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got robbed, Dragan. That thing's gonna sound all fuzzy. Laughing
TechToys

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thumbs Up
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
sweet little tube unit.
I haven't really listened to a tube system but i'm interested in checking one out one of these days.
My two channel system concise of a creek 5350amp, NAD M55 cd player and B&W speakers.
well stay away from tube amps. I tried one and quickly found out you need a very efficient speaker, like 95db or higher. however I heard that a tube pre-amp like the one above driving a nice solid state amp can be really sweet. wish me luck

garyfritz wrote:
yeah hopefully it sounds better than the pic looks. however i'm more concerned with the guys electronic skills than his Photography. Wink So far i've read a lot of very positive reviews on it, real reviews from normal people not stereo rag nonsense.

no one's guessed price yet, chicken?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill make it easy on you guys, i staretd a Poll. Reason is 2-fold.
1) it seems a lot of people are just hostile towards high end 2 -channel stereo, and have a very skewed notion of how much it costs.
2) Sometimes it can be outrageous, the new Ayre XKR pre-amp comes in at a hefty $18000. YEs, that's pre-amp ONLY.
Does anyone think you can find nice components, as in audiophile grade, for a reaonable cost?
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$200.00.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say $349.00. Any lower and his piece will lose credibility with the audiofools out there..Smile
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$275 if new, $150 if used
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
$200.00.
LOL that's funny, Ben your view on value has been skewed by too much wal-mart shopping. Just the stainles steel handles are $6. each., i know because i use them on things I build (non audio).
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
CRT_Ben wrote:
$200.00.
LOL that's funny, Ben your view on value has been skewed by too much wal-mart shopping. Just the stainles steel handles are $6. each., i know because i use them on things I build (non audio).

OK $212.00 Mr. Green

View user's photo album (24 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
CRT_Ben wrote:
$200.00.

LOL that's funny, Draganm you're mixing up value and cost. I value that piece at around $100 becuase that is what it would be worth to ME. I'm guessing you value it higher becuase you bought it and paid more than $100 for it.

Seriously thought it looks like a nice piece, how does it sound? What is you two channel setup, sources?

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not that uncommon to spend $3-5K on a 2-channel tube integrated amp, especially a good one.

But then most CRT's are cheap bastards, so I'm guessing $200. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
CRT_Ben wrote:
$200.00.

Who says I shop at walmart? Confused Just because I have "lowly" quality solid state components like a top of the line old-school Sony pre/pro and separate Adcom amps for each sound field (front/rear/center)?

StylinLP wrote:
Dragan /.../ he got away from his crappy Denon receiver and tried a few real phono preamps! He settled on a Bellari tube preamp for $200.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering
1) what you guys thought it cost, as in how much would it sell for
2) not what you would pay for it.
The answer to the second question Kal answered pretty eloquently. I don' think Adcom is lowly, it's pretty typical mid-level home theatre type stuff. Hell, anything is better than a receiver, even a Denon. Curt was right on the money, it's about $350. which I think is really cheap for a point to point wired vacuum tubed pre-amp hand built in the US. To give you an idea, a typical kit like from Bottlehead costs twice that much, and that's juts a kit.
Professional tubed pre-amps from company's like Rogue audio and others typically sell for $1500. on up to thousands of dollars. BUT, the point I was trying to make is that you can build a very reasonable 2-channel rig with premium components for less than the typical $5K figure most people think.
I haven't heard listened to this yet, I hope it's worth it.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true that most tube gear is expensive. Early on in my audio life I ran all tube gear and it wasn't cheap even back in the 80's. Don't know if anyone has ever heard of TubeGod, they later changed thier name to NewYork AudioLabs. Not cheap but it sure sounded sweet running some Quad electrostats.
What are the tubes in your unit? The utbes I had in my pre were 6DG8s, 8 of them.

Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
I was wondering
1) what you guys thought it cost, as in how much would it sell for

I already gave my answer...

$275 new
$150 used

Quite frankly tube circuitry is not that expensive to make, and this is just a stereo pre-amp without an expensive custom machined chassis (where much of the cost often comes from).

And of course the final sale price of much of the high-end audio equipment has nothing to do with BOM cost.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a few people back in the 80s who had very high end audio products on the market and typically the selling price was 4 times the build cost.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketfoot wrote:
I already gave my answer...$275 new
Quite frankly tube circuitry is not that expensive to make, and this is just a stereo pre-amp without an expensive custom machined chassis (where much of the cost often comes from).
so you would build and sell that tube amp for $275. and consider it a worthwhile investment of your time? I don't think I would but I could see some people doing it as a hobby more than for profit. The guy who makes these BTW does use that figure as a starting point though without any upgrades like dual discrete power supplies, XLR balanced output jacks, etc.
A pair of tubes alone will cost roughly $20. each unless you get some really cheap Chinese ones and the same is true for rest of the circuit, nice parts are not cheap. You start putting in Audio grade components and it quickly adds up. You can't build a nice pre-amp with 20 bucks worth of junk parts from Radio Shack.

WTS wrote:
So true that most tube gear is expensive. Early on in my audio life I ran all tube gear and it wasn't cheap even back in the 80's. Don't know if anyone has ever heard of TubeGod, they later changed thier name to NewYork AudioLabs. Not cheap but it sure sounded sweet running some Quad electrostats.
What are the tubes in your unit? The utbes I had in my pre were 6DG8s, 8 of them.
these are a pair of 12AT7's. I'm really excited about trying this and by-passing my Denon receiver. I have always had a good or very good sounding system but I have never achived that truly sweet , jaw dropping sound you sometimes hear at an audio convention or well set-up dealer room. If this doesn't do it I might just give up and go pure 5 channel HT. It's been too mcuh time and money on the audiophile merry go round.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know how much of a jaw dropping improvement I would expect because you are going to be running this through a solid state amp. So the final sound is going to depend on the worse piece of gear in the chain, that's not to say that SS amps can't be good. Actually for purity/accuracy of sound I would say the SS is better, for ear pleasing sensations the right combo of tubes/speakers can be really moving. 12AT7's were quite common as a preamp tube, if I remember correctly Audio Research used it in a number of their preamps in certain stages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: