Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony KP-65xbr10w CRT 480i / 480p / 1080i .............

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_andy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Sony KP-65xbr10w CRT 480i / 480p / 1080i ............. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi, i have one of these sets.....bought , iirc, 2000/2001 roughly, still putting out quite a nice image @ 1080i over component.
It supports 480i, 480p and 1080i over one component video input, there is no hdmi input. This set does not support 720p.

The component input can run in a 3 jack Y/Pb/Pr config or as a 5 jack G/B/R/HD/VD config.

The problem is we have one 720p source....a PS3 playing some software @ 720p....the PS3 will actually downscale quite a wide range
of 720p game software to 480p unfortunately.

(Although we have tried to set the PS3 to 720p and the set will show a picture....it even displays '720p' in the green display lettering...but the picture 'judders vertically' & seems unstable............i wonder could there be some sort of service menu hack to enable it?)

Is there a reasonable solution to this that doesn't involve dropping a large chunk on an analog output scaler of some sort?

We were initially going to retire this set, in all it's 326 lb glory , and upgrade to a Sony 70xbr7, but well, the 20K sticker is unfortunate.....the 55xbr8 is very appeallng, but dropping 10inch screen isn't an option. This set, frankly still looks fantastic, so the notion is to run it a while longer & hence the 720p problem.

Thx for any suggestions.

rgds,
Andy
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really Andy. The PS3 will simply not play many games in 1080i and the next step down in rez if 720p is disabled is 480p.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really may want to look into a used HD video processor. That's about your only option. Unless you don't mind the 720P downscalled to 480P.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
mr_andy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...thx for the reply fellas...well there are a lot of excellent titles that are native 1080i/p some that are native 720p and allow for scaling in software (Dead Space is an example released just today)...but there are many existing and forthcoming titles that are 720p only unless otherwise specs revised. Motorstorm2, Resistance 2, Farcry 2...possibly Fallout 3 etc....no 480p isn't really an option. I really wish Sony would come up with something in the 65/70" range that isn't priced in the ridiculous range....if the 55xbr8 can be 7k sticker how is it the 70xbr7 is 20k? I've been buying Sony since the Pro-feel days....sometimes i question my allegiances. Oh well, i'll have to maybe research 2nd hand scalers....any suggestions on a brand/model that may do the job 720p to 1080i over component?

thx & rgds
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_andy wrote:
I really wish Sony would come up with something in the 65/70" range that isn't priced in the ridiculous range....if the 55xbr8 can be 7k sticker how is it the 70xbr7 is 20k?

They have. How about a Sony G70. A screen twice as big (130-140") for about 1/2 the price of that $7K or less. You'll be able to do 1080p as well.

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTforSale.shtm

Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: