Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My 4870x2 Is Mute

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfear

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: My 4870x2 Is Mute Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Okay, I am about at wits end with my computer. Evil or Very Mad I have a Sapphire 4870x2 that I'm using to output video and audio over the HDMI cable. The video works great but for the life of me I can't get the audio to work. Here's my setup:

4870x2 --> DVI-to-HDMI adaptor (came with 4870x2) --> HDMI cable --> Denon 1909

I have downloaded the Realtek Vista_R2.04 HD codec and the Realtek HDMI_R200 Audio Manager. I set the default playback device to Realtek HD Audio (HDMI) and I can see the EQ move around when I play something so I know it's using the right device. I am also on a fresh install of Vista 64.

When I get the Denon to try and recognize the PC by turning the menu on and off, I get a message that says "The audio portion of HDMI is not working properly. The AMD DVI-HDMI adaptor is not compatible..blah blah"

I know the older dongles don't support audio over HDMI but I am using the one that came with my card. Any ideas?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the pins in the conector on the DVI to HDMI adaptor. Also try a different cable or test the cable you are using. HDMI is by far the WORST conection ever pushed uppon us needlessly by the azzholes that be.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that the audio is even being sent to the video card for output? On my AMD/ATI motherboard the BIOS has an option to treat the HDMI as a DVI port (no audio) or HDMI (with audio). Maybe this is the same?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three thoughts: Try the other DVI port on the 4870, roll back to the previous Realtek driver version and/or use the third or fourth HDMI port on your AVR (if present).
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 4870x2 Is Mute Reply with quote

Elfear wrote:
Okay, I am about at wits end with my computer. Evil or Very Mad I have a Sapphire 4870x2 that I'm using to output video and audio over the HDMI cable. The video works great but for the life of me I can't get the audio to work. Here's my setup:

4870x2 --> DVI-to-HDMI adaptor (came with 4870x2) --> HDMI cable --> Denon 1909

I have downloaded the Realtek Vista_R2.04 HD codec and the Realtek HDMI_R200 Audio Manager. I set the default playback device to Realtek HD Audio (HDMI) and I can see the EQ move around when I play something so I know it's using the right device. I am also on a fresh install of Vista 64.

When I get the Denon to try and recognize the PC by turning the menu on and off, I get a message that says "The audio portion of HDMI is not working properly. The AMD DVI-HDMI adaptor is not compatible..blah blah"

I know the older dongles don't support audio over HDMI but I am using the one that came with my card. Any ideas?

When you open up the CCC does it actually see the Denon as an HDMI device or does it list it as a DVI device. I know that many of the ATI series of cards have issues outputting HDMI audio to Denon and other receivers as it thinks they are DVI not HDMI. There is a big thread over on AVS in the HTPC section about this but I can't find the link.

Also you MUST use the "official" DVI to HDMI converter that comes with the video card as it is not a standard adapter and contains extra pins to tell the vid card that you are converting to HDMI.

I have my 4850 sending full audio over HDMI.

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Elfear

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 4870x2 Is Mute Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Check the pins in the conector on the DVI to HDMI adaptor. Also try a different cable or test the cable you are using. HDMI is by far the WORST conection ever pushed uppon us needlessly by the azzholes that be.

I pulled the adapters off and it doesn't look like any of the adapters I've been able to find on the web. Even the part number only links me to a couple German sites. Here are some adapters I found:
Rev. A
Rev. B
For 3000 series cards
Pic of Pin Layout

The adapter I have has a pin layout like this: Click

Maybe this is a new adapter from ATI???

WanMan wrote:
Are you sure that the audio is even being sent to the video card for output? On my AMD/ATI motherboard the BIOS has an option to treat the HDMI as a DVI port (no audio) or HDMI (with audio). Maybe this is the same?

My P5Q has an option in the bios to send the audio over HDMI which I selected.

yeme wrote:
Three thoughts: Try the other DVI port on the 4870, roll back to the previous Realtek driver version and/or use the third or fourth HDMI port on your AVR (if present).

I've tried both ports on the card multiple times to no avail. I've tried Realtek drivers 2.00, 2.03, 2.04, and 2.05. I've tried a couple different HDMI ports on my AVR, including the one that passes audio over HDMI for my Xbox 360.

nuttall_chris wrote:

When you open up the CCC does it actually see the Denon as an HDMI device or does it list it as a DVI device. I know that many of the ATI series of cards have issues outputting HDMI audio to Denon and other receivers as it thinks they are DVI not HDMI. There is a big thread over on AVS in the HTPC section about this but I can't find the link.

Also you MUST use the "official" DVI to HDMI converter that comes with the video card as it is not a standard adapter and contains extra pins to tell the vid card that you are converting to HDMI.

I have my 4850 sending full audio over HDMI.

Chris.

CCC detects my receiver as DENON-AVAMP. I can't see anything about DVI or HDMI.

The adapter is really throwing me for a loop as I explained above. I seem to be missing a group of pins in the middle of the layout like I've seen with some DVI to VGA adapters.

I'm beginning to think the receiver may be having trouble handshaking with ATI cards. I just put an HD 4670 into another HTPC and it's mute as well. The card has a built-in HDMI port so I know it's not adapter related. Could very well be user error but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate you taking the time to give me a hand.
yeme

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this gives you any insight:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043267

A firmware upgrade and an older (prior to ver 2.*) Realtek driver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: