Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How do you make WinXp see external USB 2.0 hard drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: How do you make WinXp see external USB 2.0 hard drive? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I need to remove the viruses from an old hard drive. I have it hooked up via ATA to USB 2.0. I know there's something special you need to do in order to make winblows see it but I can't find out what that is. Halp!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start... Run... compmgmt.msc
..+ Storage
....+ Disk Management

Your USB drive should show up here. Make sure it's "Online" and "Active".
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
Start... Run... compmgmt.msc
+ Storage
+ Disk Management

Your USB drive should show up here. Make sure it's "Online" and "Active".

Thanks I'll give that a shot in the dark.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP saw\ it after I removed a memory stick and pluged the external drive into another port. It didn't show up in the copmngmt

CRT.

HD done right!
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird. It should see it automatically. USB is a master/slave system, where the computer controls the resources. It could have been hung on the USB thumb for some reason, and yanking it may have reset it.

Just curious, did you reboot before trying any of this?

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
That's weird. It should see it automatically. USB is a master/slave system, where the computer controls the resources. It could have been hung on the USB thumb for some reason, and yanking it may have reset it.

I did try a reboot 3 times I think it was.

I did get it to work. I needed to run a Virus scan on a HDD out of another computer. I used teh IDE to USB adaptor and everything -finaly- worked right.

CRT.

HD done right!
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that shoot my theory out of the water. Maybe your thumb drive was possessed.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:

I use several USB drives here @ work and have had issues before. Sometimes xp wants to assign a letter to the drive thats occupied and you have to go into device mgr and assign the drive letter manually.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe yours were possessed too.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog

If you can see it in computer management the OPSYS knows it is there. Make sure it has a drive letter. Its the only thing I can think of that would stop it from being displayed.

Walt
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what are you using for an anti virus proggie? I just dumped McAfee and got a free for Individual use avast! (McAfee was at the end of the subscription and I couldn't stand how much it was slowing the system to a crawl).

I installed it on the POS PC here at work and while it was performing a pre-windows scan (it uses it's own mini OS for this) it found 14 files infected with Trojans that were all attached to QuickBook POS. We're not sure if the Trojans were sending people's credit card info out or not but it zapped the files. Dummy me didn't opt to put them in what avast! calls a Chest (same as quarantine). I deleted them. Then couldn't get into the POS program. I ALMOST lost the entire inventory. Shocked

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are you using for an anti virus proggie? I just dumped McAfee and got a free for Individual use avast! (McAfee was at the end of the subscription and I couldn't stand how much it was slowing the system to a crawl).

I installed it on the POS PC here at work and while it was performing a pre-windows scan (it uses it's own mini OS for this) it found 14 files infected with Trojans that were all attached to QuickBook POS. We're not sure if the Trojans were sending people's credit card info out or not but it zapped the files. Dummy me didn't opt to put them in what avast! calls a Chest (same as quarantine). I deleted them. Then couldn't get into the POS program. I ALMOST lost the entire inventory. Shocked

Maybe not. If you re-opened the chested items, you'd stand a great chance of reinfucting yourself, depending on the virus.

I'm paranoid, so I use AVG, ClamAV(windows version), and Avast if my sytem has enough power. Obviously I don't go overboard like that on something like an HTPC.

I like AVG and Clam because they are very thing, and find more crap than Norton. I've heard good things of avast, but I can't say I've seen it catch anything the others didn't.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspec2 wrote:
Analog

If you can see it in computer management the OPSYS knows it is there. Make sure it has a drive letter. Its the only thing I can think of that would stop it from being displayed.

Walt

It didn't show up in OPSYS untill I unpluged the thumb drive.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:

AVG free

CRT.

HD done right!
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time when a drive doesn't appear it's because a network drive is mapped to the same drive letter as the drive is attempting to use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: