Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who has a working 1080i 72 or 1080p@48 Nivida custome res
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Who has a working 1080i 72 or 1080p@48 Nivida custome res Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Specifically working on an 8xxx class card on an NEC XG

Powerstrip no longer works properly on thesse cards, so I will have to use the Nvidia control panel.

but I need to know the settings for front porches, and total pixels that will let me maximize the raster, and maintain a proper 47.9 etc or 71.9 etc refresh rate.

Any ideas?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ditched mine and got an ATi 3850. The settings on the Nvidia 8xxx series won't stick sometimes after a re-boot or if you change monitors ( displays )

How's things up there Yon? Havne't seen you around for ages.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I have been busy focused on other things the last year. But am back playing with my setup again now.

I am attempting to use a HTPC again, but things seem to have gotten more difficult than easier.

BD & HD DVD playback is fine. But DVD playback from PowerDVD sucks compared to my standalone HD-A3. But I miss the gamma control my old HTPC gave me.

So I am trying new things, but the NVidia cards suck!!! for custom timings. But I read that ATI cards can't do gamma correction. Do you know if this is true?

Ken./
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yonexsp wrote:
Hey,
So I am trying new things, but the NVidia cards suck!!! for custom timings. But I read that ATI cards can't do gamma correction. Do you know if this is true?

I've used them both, and can't say I care one way or the other. Never used an ATI for a HTPC, but the All in wonder HD3650 is real tempting. I fooled with NVidia's gamma correction a bit. It was great, but PowerStrip's gamma correction seemed to be a little better and that's what I've been using. NVidia's should be done in hardware, but I didn't notice any difference in picture quality(ignoring color) or skips.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yonexsp wrote:
Hey,

I have been busy focused on other things the last year. But am back playing with my setup again now.

I am attempting to use a HTPC again, but things seem to have gotten more difficult than easier.

BD & HD DVD playback is fine. But DVD playback from PowerDVD sucks compared to my standalone HD-A3. But I miss the gamma control my old HTPC gave me.

Ken./

That's where it stands....

Nvidia looks a LOT better IMHO, especially because you can choose the black level range AND impose the Nvidia gamma control on everything, including BD and HD DVD playback, but, making custom resolutions is dead easy with Powerstrip and an ATI card...

My opinion, use the Nvidia, gamma and proper black levels have a much more prominent effect on image quality than custom res or timings...
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:

My opinion, use the Nvidia, gamma and proper black levels have a much more prominent effect on image quality than custom res or timings...

It seems it should be possible to set gamma and levels from within the player, no? Or do HD players lack the ability to post-process a la ffdshow, AND the ability to do gamma / color adjustments? Somehow I can't imagine such obvious and necessary functionality getting left out of EVERYTHING...

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have working timings for an Nvidia card. However I'm using a 7950GT with powerstrip, you may want to look into one of these cards it works great for HD and has all the gamma and playback (purevideo HD) settings that the other cards have. I've run 1080p 48, 1080i 96, and 1080p 60 with this card and use 1080p 60 now with my G70.

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:

It seems it should be possible to set gamma and levels from within the player, no? Or do HD players lack the ability to post-process a la ffdshow, AND the ability to do gamma / color adjustments? Somehow I can't imagine such obvious and necessary functionality getting left out of EVERYTHING...

You'd think, wouldn't you... but no, to my knowledge, there is no way of doing any of this "within" the player when using BD and/or HD DVD...

Prove me wrong, please, and then post a detailed "how to" cause I'd sure like to have finer control over my BD/HD DVD playback's look...
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
perisoft wrote:

You'd think, wouldn't you... but no, to my knowledge, there is no way of doing any of this "within" the player when using BD and/or HD DVD...

Prove me wrong, please, and then post a detailed "how to" cause I'd sure like to have finer control over my BD/HD DVD playback's look...

You're right, there is no way to do it within the player (PDVD or TMT) but if you rip the movie to your HDD you can then transcode it and play it back with all the options you'd ever want.

I just use the Nvidia controls, not ideal but the best I can do right now with the amount of time I'm willing to throw at it

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:

You're right, there is no way to do it within the player (PDVD or TMT) but if you rip the movie to your HDD you can then transcode it and play it back with all the options you'd ever want.

I just use the Nvidia controls, not ideal but the best I can do right now with the amount of time I'm willing to throw at it

Erik

At the price of time time time time time...

You rip and transcode to what ?

Play it back with what ? I'm just curious...

I currently rip to iso and just play back as if its a disc and therefore really, really appreciate even the rudimentary Nvidia controls which allow for at least SOME control of gamma and black levels.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody on the A site made a pretty detailed gamma adjustment util that works at a pretty low level, Elaine. Not sure if that would work. One problem seems to be that it doesn't work with dual video outputs, which is kind of a horrible PITA. That said, I got it to work, but with the gamma affecting only the CRT output, which was kind of nice. Never really got it tuned right, though.

There's GOTTA be a way! Smile

I'm guessing this problem will solve itself with newer players - I would imagine that if Zoom Player or Theatertek did HD they'd HAVE to support gamma and color controls. Maybe Zoom Player could even successfully translate its habit of crashing in flames at random times. Wink GraphEdt performed an illegal operation indeed...

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Somebody on the A site made a pretty detailed gamma adjustment util that works at a pretty low level, Elaine. Not sure if that would work. One problem seems to be that it doesn't work with dual video outputs, which is kind of a horrible PITA. That said, I got it to work, but with the gamma affecting only the CRT output, which was kind of nice. Never really got it tuned right, though.

I just saw this today for the first time-I plan to try it tonite on my Nvidia setup

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1042160
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:

I currently rip to iso and just play back as if its a disc and therefore really, really appreciate even the rudimentary Nvidia controls which allow for at least SOME control of gamma and black levels.

You have that right, I spend all day on a PC, I get tired of messing with them, plus I use an ATI card that ignores the CCC's gamma settings with Power DVD anyway. For gamma boost use an analog box it just works & I have tons of control without all the fuss $119.00.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10144

Here is a review I wrote a few months back with a bunch of screen shots.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10622

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Elaine Benes wrote:

You have that right, I spend all day on a PC, I get tired of messing with them, plus I use an ATI card that ignores the CCC's gamma settings with Power DVD anyway. For gamma boost use an analog box it just works & I have tons of control without all the fuss $119.00.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10144

Here is a review I wrote a few months back with a bunch of screen shots.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10622

Mike

I actualy do the same. I have one of Kims gamma dongles (pre-preduction) here and I'm testing it tonight with the Ampro. Looks nice and I love the simple on/off switch.

I tried all the ATi gamma stuff in my 2004 PC, never did get it to play nice. THen they came out with CCC and whoever designed that well he couldn't find his azz if he was wearing an azz hat, used a compas, a map and a turn by turn GPS.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerstrip works for Nvidia 8/9 series cards now...I think.

If they've fixed the TEARING issues, then a Nvidia card may be the way to go now.

And I remux all my discs to MKV files, and playback with ZoomPlayer (MPC HT is easier to get going though). Powerdvd sucks too much to use fulltime.

I can do whatever I want with Gamma. Video Equalizer is an awesome Gamma tweaking tool (not dual monitor friendly though).

I did find if I bumped the low level gamma up too much I induced Streaking in the XG. Be careful with ski jump gamma curves...
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
Powerstrip works for Nvidia 8/9 series cards now...I think.

If they've fixed the TEARING issues, then a Nvidia card may be the way to go now.

And I remux all my discs to MKV files, and playback with ZoomPlayer (MPC HT is easier to get going though). Powerdvd sucks too much to use fulltime.

I can do whatever I want with Gamma. Video Equalizer is an awesome Gamma tweaking tool (not dual monitor friendly though).

I did find if I bumped the low level gamma up too much I induced Streaking in the XG. Be careful with ski jump gamma curves...

Can anyone confirm this? I think the issue is also related to Vista.
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which issue Ken?
yeme

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine,

Do you have a custom timing for 1080P/60 you could post for the nVidia? I have been able to get 1080i working through the Nvidia custom setup but am unable to get a 1080P working. (I can get 1080P/60 with my ATI setup)

Thanks
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
Which issue Ken?

The issue with the 8xxx series not supporting powerstrip in interlaced mode and not being compatible in progressive mode so necessitating using the Nvidia custom resolution feature.

I'm running Vista, and I read that this is the cause of a lot of these issues with these newer Nvidia chips
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Has anyone with an ATI card gotten the gamma boost to work using the Powerstrip feature or a 3rd party piece of software. As is well known as Mike said the CCC (catalyst) features don;t affect gamma in PowerDVD. I guess they don't affect overlays
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: