Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Another HDPC Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garysorenson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Another HDPC Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have an older PC that works well at playing DVDs. When I hook it up to my NECPG9 will this affect the performance in some way? or is a display just a display?
Also, what resolution should I set the PC at. My PG9 will do 1080p - 1600x1200 - 100mhz?
And final question: I have digital cable and DVR. what type of tuner do I get for the PC?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware that the PG series (any of them) could do 1080P.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). Not sure what you're asking but a display is a display as long as you don't overdrive it.

2). I would run the PG9 at 1080i 96 for 1080 content and 960p or 720p for DVD.

3). I don't believe you can get a tuner card for digital cable unless you buy a new PC with one. What tuner box do you have now?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you upscaling the dvd or is it a BR DVD player? or are you planning to use the cable for HD content.? if your HTPC is an older one you may want to save some trouble and make sure that it is up to the task of HD, is your graphics card fast enough? the aftermarket tuner cards all seem to be a niche market item, but if you need QAM tuner for cable HD you could use something like this:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/18/hauppauge-adds-qam-support-to-the-wintv-hvr-1600-dual-tuner-card/
View user's photo album (4 photos)
aspec2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was looking for an HD tuner card I would use this

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/mdp130.asp

If you have a cable box and your HTPC has a firewire port, you can connect your DVR to your computer and record.

Walt
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MyHD is a great card - I've had one for years. But, it's OTA and unencrypted-QAM only. If that's all you need, it's great though. Unlike most newer tuner cards, you don't have to worry about whether your RAM, hard drive, or video card are up to recording and playing high def or wether your video card settings are correct. That's because the MyHD does the actual decoding and display. The computer is just storage and control. Any half recent computer will be more than adequate. Practically anything sold in the last 5 years should work great as a host for the MyHD. I've even used it successfully in an old Gateway PIII. Just don't try to use the MyHD with MCE - it's not compatible.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
The MyHD is a great card - I've had one for years. But, it's OTA and unencrypted-QAM only. If that's all you need, it's great though. Unlike most newer tuner cards, you don't have to worry about whether your RAM, hard drive, or video card are up to recording and playing high def or wether your video card settings are correct. That's because the MyHD does the actual decoding and display. The computer is just storage and control. Any half recent computer will be more than adequate. Practically anything sold in the last 5 years should work great as a host for the MyHD. I've even used it successfully in an old Gateway PIII. Just don't try to use the MyHD with MCE - it's not compatible.

SC

SC do the MyHD cards offer any custom resolutions?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

SC

Really, for HD most cards are inherently worthless if you aren't capturing OTA. I'm not sure I've seen any that capture over channel 125 clear qam, and most cable companies put the HD stuff higher up because of that.

If you have a STB, I have the HD-PVR component capture that Hauppauge makes. Haven't played with it too much, but it seems to work pretty well. ATI makes a capture device that you can put a cable card in. They are usually only for sale if you buy a computer from Dell, Compaq, etc.; but you often see them on ebay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: