Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Hurley Superglo only 51" wide (tall) without a seam???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Update long overdue on this fossilized thread: As indicated I opened a dispute with AMEX and after investigation, AMEX refunded the charge. I still can't believe they would offer such a great material in such limited sizes, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still contemplating getting it for my screen, the sample i had I really could not see the seam.
my screen be 450 shiped for a 13 foot 2.35 screen, i might take the plunge.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I am still contemplating getting it for my screen, the sample i had I really could not see the seam.
my screen be 450 shiped for a 13 foot 2.35 screen, i might take the plunge.

Athanasios

It's a hell of a deal for sure. And you've gotten the seam sample so you know you're OK with it - whereas I was really lit about getting that crucial information after it was "too late" (according to Hurley).

Also even though you may sit a 1x distance, your 1x distance is a lot farther than my (my dad's) 1x distance - you're talking a 156"!! screen width to my 84" screen width. Since the seam is the same physical size regardless, it has much more presence on a screen that's half the size Wink
crt nuts

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Hurley screen seams Reply with quote

Hello

I remember replying to Nash about the Hurley on the other forum and can tell you with my (ex) superglo 1.5 gain 96 x 54 that I could barely make out the seam. And when I did visually find it , I could not trace the entire length (vertical) of the seam.

The only reason why I could see one portion was all my own doing. Was wiping it down with a dry cloth and caused the dust to show the seam as it is a butt joint of sorts.

The other big issue would possibly be "supported" or "unsupported". If I remember correctly from my samples , the supported superglo has a black backing of sorts. My own screen did not have a backing, "unsupported" and this could possibly visually amplify the seam.

I had a hard time finding the seam on full white screen, never mind moving images. Thumbs Up

I will definately reconsider future Hurley screen purchase.

Mark G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should correct my previous post regarding supported and unsupported. The supported superglo has a fibreglass base, so it is therefore thicker and as with my screen, did not require re-tensioning.

The unsupported screen is more flexable with no backing but requires proper and occasional tensioning.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money and the quality I'll never buy any other brand other than Hurley.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to order the screen one of these days, But the thought of building the frame and stuff just has me turned off right now as its easier for me to keep my Da-Lite where it is and wait till i get annoyed with the slight non uniformity of colors with a blend, a blend needs a unity gain screen.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Athanasios,

Building the frame was easy easy. I used 3/4" (or 1", can't remember now) aluminum conduit (which I bought from HomeDepot) with the 90 degree conduit corner connectors and made the rectangular frame from that. THen I strapped conduit frame to the wood face frame made from 3/4"x 6" wood which I connected together with metal plates at the corners. Leave a 1/4" gap between the conduit and wood so you can run the lacing rope under the conduit. I covered the wood frame with black velvet. The total frame is rock solid and looks great. Once I tensioned the screen I've never had to redo it and it's been over 3 years since I built it.

It only took me maybe a couple of hours to build it once I had alll the pieces. Get the wood cut at HD and just use a hacksaw to cut the conduit. Piece of cake to build.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Hi Athanasios,

Building the frame was easy easy. I used 3/4" (or 1", can't remember now) aluminum conduit (which I bought from HomeDepot) with the 90 degree conduit corner connectors and made the rectangular frame from that. THen I strapped conduit frame to the wood face frame made from 3/4"x 6" wood which I connected together with metal plates at the corners. Leave a 1/4" gap between the conduit and wood so you can run the lacing rope under the conduit. I covered the wood frame with black velvet. The total frame is rock solid and looks great. Once I tensioned the screen I've never had to redo it and it's been over 3 years since I built it.

It only took me maybe a couple of hours to build it once I had alll the pieces. Get the wood cut at HD and just use a hacksaw to cut the conduit. Piece of cake to build.

Yep that is how I was planing on doing it but i planed on using Pipe stand off's made from floor flanges and a 1" short threaded pipe to a T fitting between the pipe sections. then make a foam or wood frame to cover the tensioning rope and frame covered with black material that William sold. And then I might play with using behind the screen back lighting. not sure if id have to use some black cloth also behind the Screen as the unity screen material had no backing, not sure if the final product will.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Athanasios,

Sound like a good plan. I would go for the 1.5 gain screen though. I put black velvet behind my screen, about 2" behind. You don't want to back light as it would show through the screen from the back side.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Hi Athanasios,

Sound like a good plan. I would go for the 1.5 gain screen though. I put black velvet behind my screen, about 2" behind. You don't want to back light as it would show through the screen from the back side.

For a Blend Walt you need a unity gain, I now have a 1.3 gain and can tell that unity is the way to go for the blending two Projectors. The gain makes it harder to use the contrast modulation the marquees have for the edges of the tube to match in intensity on each color.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Walter. (Or anyone who happens to know.)

Don't the Hurley's have some form of grommets along the edges, that you can lace to a frame? (Their site isn't accessible ATM, or I'd check there.) If so, I was wondering how much of each edge is occupied by the grommets? I.e., out of 51", how much of that would be usable?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Hey, Walter. (Or anyone who happens to know.)

Don't the Hurley's have some form of grommets along the edges, that you can lace to a frame? (Their site isn't accessible ATM, or I'd check there.) If so, I was wondering how much of each edge is occupied by the grommets? I.e., out of 51", how much of that would be usable?

When you get a quote from Hurley and you specified the screen size you want they add extra material
for the grommets or for stretching onto their frame if you go that route. So for example my request for a
13 foot 2.4 aspect screen would have a viewable area of 13x5.4 feet.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ,but remember the material is only available up to 51" wide. If they add anything more for the grommets it will have a seam. The seams are all but invisible,just don't forget it is there. I think Hurley uses a 3' wrap top and bottom so your max size is 51-6 or 45"viewable without the near invisible seam. Hurley also has Hook and Loop systems that only use 1.5 top and bottom or -3 overall.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I think Hurley uses a 3' wrap top and bottom so your max size is 51-6 or 45"viewable without the near invisible seam. Hurley also has Hook and Loop systems that only use 1.5 top and bottom or -3 overall. <

Thanks, Dave. That was exactly what I was looking for.

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad my research has helped someone else.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: