Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The Kipnis Studio Standard - Setting a New Cine Experience!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: The Kipnis Studio Standard - Setting a New Cine Experience! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Greetings, Everyone!

Please have a look at this new ultra-cutting edge cinema design I have just completed - which is centered around the fabulous Sony SRX-R110 "4k" professional cinema projector and the LMT-100 "4k" Media Block:

The Kipnis Studio Standard Screening Experience

There are some great professionally shot photos, here:

http://gallery.mac.com/kipnis#100013

It's A Movie and Music Lover's Dream Come True!

Here is a terrific article describing some technical aspects of my design:

http://www.ukslc.org/News/Installs_and_Case_Stories/Kipnis_Studios:_Setting_New_Standards_in_Theater_Design.html

And my website (listed below) details my design philosophies and technical approach.

Please let me know what you think, and feel free to pass this email on to anyone who might be interested.

May I invite anyone seriously interested over here for a complete and hand-tailored demonstration of what picture and sound can really be like?

The Kipnis Studio Standard.jpg
 Description:
The Kipnis Studio Standard - A movie and music lover's dream come true!
 Filesize:  138.73 KB
 Viewed:  18004 Time(s)

The Kipnis Studio Standard.jpg

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't by chance have a sister that's building a home theater system in a smallish room that post's on AVS do you? Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Kipnis Studio Standard - Setting a New Cine Experien Reply with quote

Kipnis Studios wrote:
May I invite anyone seriously interested over here for a complete and hand-tailored demonstration of what picture and sound can really be like?

Or you could come over to our places and by the way those great photo's, resolution is the quality of forum avatar. With that said Thumbs Up .

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Kipnis Cousin - Jill Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
You don't by chance have a sister that's building a home theater system in a smallish room that post's on AVS do you? Mr. Green

Is that Jill Kipnis? I don't know her, but I think she must be a distant cousin.

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Kipnis Studio Standard - Setting a New Cine Experien Reply with quote

erikjohn wrote:
Kipnis Studios wrote:

Or you could come over to our places and by the way those great photo's, resolution is the quality of forum avatar. With that said Thumbs Up .

I'm glad you liked the photos.

Resolution and color accuracy are somewhat poor on my .Mac Photo gallery, but this was merely an initial attempt at illustrating my designs.

Shortly, I will post more detailed pictures on my website - which will be significantly better looking.

Thanks for the invitation. I look forward to taking you up on it!

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy... That's quite the showroom. Not my cup of tea with the whole "tube amps all around", in-your-face equipment and speakers everywhere, screen-on-a-chain, and a glorified sofa in the middle of the room, but it's impressive regardless. It's a very "audiophile"-looking setup... which isn't necessarily a compliment... in my opinion. To each his own. Still, I get that it's a showroom, it's neat to look at and don't take this the wrong way - it's always fun to see what people do when they have boatloads of cash to throw around.

The lighting is very cool stuff. I'd love to do something like that, but I'm sure it's pricey stuff.

Just out of curiosity, if you could indulge me, I have a couple questions...
1. What's the screen material and size?
2. What's the measured illumination on the screen?
3. What's the measured on/off contrast ratio of that projector?
4. What does Sony get for a replacement bulb for that bad boy?

That said, isn't your post what amounts to spam? Very high-end, sky's the limit, esoteric spam, I guess, but spam nonetheless. I mean, it's a high-end system and all, and fun to look at, but this is your business, right? You're obviously not interested in CRT projection, so this is just kind of an ad for your business, isn't it? To top it all off, you drop the whole "come over and see what picture and sound can really be like" thing... as if some of us haven't ever seen or experienced a truly world-class system... because apparently you're the only one that can build them.

Sorry, but the more I think about the way you've presented this, the more it rubs me the wrong way.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound even better if you connected the speaker wires Smile

http://gallery.mac.com/kipnis#100013/_MG_8423&bgcolor=black
View user's photo album (2 photos)
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy you guys are coming down on him big time.

Cliffy
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: A proper reply for a solid opinion! Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Jeremy... That's quite the showroom. Not my cup of tea with the whole "tube amps all around", in-your-face equipment and speakers everywhere, screen-on-a-chain, and a glorified sofa in the middle of the room, but it's impressive regardless. It's a very "audiophile"-looking setup... which isn't necessarily a compliment... in my opinion. To each his own. Still, I get that it's a showroom, it's neat to look at and don't take this the wrong way - it's always fun to see what people do when they have boatloads of cash to throw around.

The lighting is very cool stuff. I'd love to do something like that, but I'm sure it's pricey stuff.

That said, isn't your post what amounts to spam? Very high-end, sky's the limit, esoteric spam, I guess, but spam nonetheless. I mean, it's a high-end system and all, and fun to look at, but this is your business, right? You're obviously not interested in CRT projection, so this is just kind of an ad for your business, isn't it? To top it all off, you drop the whole "come over and see what picture and sound can really be like" thing... as if some of us haven't ever seen or experienced a truly world-class system... because apparently you're the only one that can build them.

Sorry, but the more I think about the way you've presented this, the more it rubs me the wrong way.

SC

Hi There.

I really appreciate your taking the time and energy to clearly explain your opinions. This is one of the reasons why I am posting here!

As a longtime professional video calibrator (beginning in 1980), photographer (beginning in 1970) an audiophile producer and recording engineer for several major record companies (beginning in 1990), and having studied extensively with Joe Kane and Joel Silver of Imaging Science Foundation (1996-1999), I feel that so many approaches to picture and sound recreation so far fail when it comes to integrating all the different aspects together to maximum effect, which result in perceived accuracy.

What I am offering (which is detailed precisely on my website) to the discriminating audio/video and corporate professional is a custom made, no holds barred approach to picture and sound recreation using only the finest components currently available on the planet. The goal is to produce a room whose visual and aesthetic characteristics are dictated by a client's desires, while maintaining the absolute maximum in picture and sound Modulation Transfer Function.

Each client's desires aesthetically will be different, but what is absolutely important is to maintain cutting edge transparent reproduction at life size - both picture and sound.

If this were an attempt at spam, rather than a free exchange of ideas, I would expect people reading this forum to be perspective client's. And while this would be welcome, I am much more interested in evaluating people's opinions of my design concepts and installation outside of the possibility of a sale. This is how I continue to make a better product which does (arguably) supercede anything else commercially avaialble - though there are up and aerospace coming technologies which will extend the best that is possible by a good margin.

Yet, in reality, we are quite close at mimicking certain characteristics of picture and sound reproduction that can be startlingly realistic - if you sit in the center (Audiophile Listening) seat of an extremely well articulated theater acoustic.

Demonstrations help me to advance my state of the art, and I welcome the opportunity to see and hear others fine work!

Many Thanks -

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Last edited by Kipnis Studios on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spammers usually do not post anything after the first ad. At least this guy is actually having a conversation.
View user's photo album (24 photos)
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:
It might sound even better if you connected the speaker wires Smile

http://gallery.mac.com/kipnis#100013/_MG_8423&bgcolor=black

I'm glad to see someone is paying attention!

However, the wires (while absent from these professionally shot PR photos) only appear for a 1'-2' length just behind and perpendicular to each component. So when you are in the theater working or enjoying other people's work, you simply don't see the wiring, as it goes under the floor back to the projection booth invisibly and on special vibration isolators.

Clearly, most client's (96%) simply will not tolerate having all the equipment out there in the open, as I have chosen to do being an audiophile producer so that I can monitor power usage in each of six distinct frequency ranges for each of the 8.8 channels of decoded surround sound.

That range (as spoken about in detail on my website) is (in order from highest to lowest):

Coloratura
Soprano
Alto
Tenor
Baritone
Bass

Since the amplification is broken down hexagonally, distortion is reduced to a previously unheard of level.

Check out the "Power" page of my website to understand my unique approach to feeding clean power to all components!

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Last edited by Kipnis Studios on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing he did, I was going to comment on the Bose cubes in the corners of the room..Wink

JUST KIDDING!

I got 'spammed' with this on my home email, if you can call it spammed. I would go check it out if I was in his area, if nothing else to see how many of the speakers in the room were actually hooked up., Good eye Chris!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and his set up is nice eye candy too.

So Jeremy,
Is there any screen door effect with that projector and how much does a replacement bulb go for?

What type of processor were you using to do the 1080P x 4 on the screen, that's a neat effect.

BTW not sure of the lady's name on AVS. This whole set up just reminded me of what she was trying to do, only in a room much, much smaller.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Good thing he did, I was going to comment on the Bose cubes in the corners of the room..Wink

JUST KIDDING!

I got 'spammed' with this on my home email, if you can call it spammed. I would go check it out if I was in his area, if nothing else to see how many of the speakers in the room were actually hooked up., Good eye Chris!

Curt -

Perhaps you do not remember me, but we have spoken several times via phone and email directly and I have sent one of my customers Marguees in for repair. I thought you had invited me to post pictures and commentary about my technical designs on your website or forum?

I have an email asking me for photos!

Again, my apologies if anyone is feeling spammed. I only want to share technical knowledge and experience so we can all learn to do a better job and enjoy our hobby (which has turned into a profession for me) even better than we do now!

Many thanks for the opportunity to share.

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipnis Studios wrote:
I thought you had invited me to post pictures and commentary about my technical designs on your website or forum?

I have an email asking me for photos!

That would throw a whole different spin on this for me... and you didn't just poop out a post and leave. You're here, we're communicating. That's cool.

Still, I am interested in the projection system and I have those unanswered questions... Info, man we need more info.

I've heard a lot about that machine, and I've seen it in action. But, at 10,000 lumens, brightness has to be major overkill and only 2000:1 ANSI contrast, I would think there would be better machines for your screen size (and for way less money)... I guess you could have just been going for the 4k wow factor so you can display four 1080p screens at once... but at nearly six figures, it's a serious chunk of change for a projector that isn't necessarily ideal for that screen size... is it?

I'm still wondering if you've measured illumination on that screen - it's gotta be a scorcher.

SC

PS - Your website bandwidth is maxed out. Time to find a new host, I think!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about you guys, but I would LOVE to have that SONY 4K......

That thing is BAD ASS.

His room is sick. He posted the pictures over in the 20K plus forum at AVS a week ago. That equipment is kick ass. That setup is just SICK AS HELL.

I would have done the room MUCH differently, but damn, would I love to have all that gear. :^)

Cliffy
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
I dont know about you guys, but I would LOVE to have that SONY 4K......

That thing is BAD ASS.

His room is sick. He posted the pictures over in the 20K plus forum at AVS a week ago. That equipment is kick ass. That setup is just SICK AS HELL.

I would have done the room MUCH differently, but damn, would I love to have all that gear. :^)

Cliffy

Thank you for your kind words.

I apologies for any "Bandwidth Limit" restrictions, which are corrected as of NOW.

It reminds me of a fast inrush during dinner or lunch service - still NO EXCUSE!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, yes, what size are the subs in the 6 big cabinets? What are the dimensions?

That looks like seriously killer sound. I would LOVE to hear my SACD and DVD Audio collection on that system.

How many watts per channel on the MC's?

Even with only 10K to one contrast, I would absolutely LOVE to see that Sony on a 20ft wide cinemascope screen. Ken called me tonight. He calibrated a Runco VX 1080P 3 chip today. This guy is running just over 10ft wide 2:35 on a .9 gain screen.

Ken Measured over 40 FOOT LAMBERTS with that little bitch. Jesus that is bright.

What does yours measure? It's gotta be WAY the hell up there.

Cliff
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Technical Details About The Kipnis Studio Standard! Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

SC

As detailed on my website:

1. 18' x 10.125' Stewart Snowmatte Non-Perforated Laboratory Grade 1.0 Gain Screen. - I am now testing a larger screen with 4-way masking to afford the client any size image they desire versus an IMAX screen throw distance - HUGE - at the touch of a button

2. 48.9 Foot-Lamberts in room at the primary seating position (using a modified Minolta CF 100 light meter - 3 - times the SMPTE motion picture standard, and sufficient for daylight (-like) contrast ratios - you might squint slightly during daylight scenes - but no more than if you were there - and the black level is pretty amaziing (but NOT FILM).

3. In room CR is currently 2,956:1, with both bulbs lit, and 1600' Sq/Ft of Auralex 4" acoustic wedge foam in place on all exposed walls and the ceiling. On/Off CR for the engine (before lens and room contribution) is 4,000:1.

4. Each of the two 2kw bulbs (with about 900 hours of actual use in them) is about $2,200.00 plus installation.
Pretty expensive! Every 4-bulb changes mandates a bulb cage replacement at another $1,695.00 per cage,
Still, at the upper end of picture quality - it's this 4k, or 3 different 2k models (We all know who they are) and this new laser system:

http://www.es.com/products/digital_theater/digistar3-laser.asp

"We have only to be limited by our own fears!"

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Last edited by Kipnis Studios on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Actually, yes, what size are the subs in the 6 big cabinets? What are the dimensions?

That looks like seriously killer sound. I would LOVE to hear my SACD and DVD Audio collection on that system.

How many watts per channel on the MC's?

Even with only 10K to one contrast, I would absolutely LOVE to see that Sony on a 20ft wide Cinemascope screen. Ken called me tonight. He calibrated a Runco VX 1080P 3 chip today. This guy is running just over 10ft wide 2:35 on a .9 gain screen.

Ken Measured over 40 FOOT LAMBERTS with that little bitch. Jesus that is bright.

What does yours measure? It's gotta be WAY the hell up there.

Cliff

Hi and thanks for your questions.

1. The 16 Cabinets are current stock Snell Sub-1800 18" passive subwoofers ( which rise 8' into the air) driven by 14 McIntosh MC-2102 tube amps and two No. 33J Mark Levenson Solid State Amplifiers controlled by the Theta Casablanca IIIc surround decoder and 13 T Theta Generation VIII Stereo D/As.

2. Each MC-2102 is capable (with top end tubes) 440 watts per channel. The final system is specked for 50 MC-2102.

3. Light output and on-screen contrast ratio are closely related to room MTF. Please think big screen like an IMAX or the large single screen theaters of 100' wide and larger as my model.

4. 40 foot-Lamberts is very (even extremely impressive) with proper calibration of color temperature, gamma, scaler function, MTF, screen brightness function, etc, and (of course) can be exceeded by many installations at the expense of contrast ratio and MTF. Not a good trade off

5. As I indicated in an earlier post - 48.9 foot-Lamberts with somewhere around 2,956:1 ANSI Contrast Ratio is what I can produce, currently with the Sony SRX professional projector. Other 2K. 35mm Film (Academy Screening Grade Print - First Generation Hand Timed Print) with properly set-up lightning , collation, focus, and aperture plate have the ability to offer better specks.

But I find (personally) that this Sony projector offers better fidelity overall, for my sensibilities.

I would always offer a potential client the choice of several technologies, and based on feed back from CINERAMAX in AVSForum.com I will certainly offer my clients the opportunity of owning and viewing both a cutting edge DLP 2K design (or all three) along side the SRX-R platform and Todd-AO DP-70 70mm and 35mm film playback on the same screen with identical light levels.

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Last edited by Kipnis Studios on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: