Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Controlling light reflection.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danOO00

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
One of the best improvements to my setup was to hang black velvet panels above the screen to eliminate the light reflections.

I bought some sheets of 3/4" pink insulation foam board, cut them to size, applied a light layer of quilt padding to them, and covered that with some black velvet. The panels are very light, and can be simply tacked and glued to the ceiling- I think looks better than a completely black painted ceiling- especially in a multi-use theater room.

The tiles can be cut to size and tiled to make a pattern above the screen. I made a simple pyramid shape out of rectangular pieces, but if I were to do it again, I think rounded corners would look better and make it easier to neatly apply the coverings to the foam board. A swingline stapler was all I needed to attach the fabric to the panels.

I have a light colored carpet, and a dark grey throw rug from HD in front of the screen is also a huge improvement.

Cheap solution, and really improves the ANSI CR of the image thrown by my PG.

Dan
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Also, the light that would be blocked by the setback will have limited effect when it bounces back to the screen, since it will be arriving at such an oblique angle. Whereas light reflecting from further points on the side walls, and from floor / back wall / etc, will hit the screen fairly straight-on.

I don't doubt the setback can help, a little. But I think it will be very little compared to darkening the walls and floor.

The shadow box really gave an improvement to measured ANSI CR performance. I will have to see if I can dig up numbers for you.

What I don't understant though is your above quoted argument. Light reflecting further on the side walls etc which can hit the screen fairly straight-on will still hit the screen fairly straight-on if you just paint the front 1/3 of your room.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I am not talking about the black level measured off of the screen. Its difficult using a phrase or term so to accurate describe one's discussed topic while insuring they do not become confused with a closely related, but entirely different topic. Smile

We have black level, but I am talking about observed black levels as observed by your eyes. And if you think stray light not coming directly from the screen does not impact you viewing condition at your eyes then you can be blissfully ignorant. Very Happy But, I think you would be bothered by such undesirable light sources entering your eyes.

So, this isn't necessarily about raising the black level measured at the screen.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought other light sources indirectly entering your eyes would give the illusion that the blacks on screen are blacker, you know, irises are closed a little more, thought that was the idea behind having ambient lights on behind lcd's.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would. But what I'm saying is that by closing your irises, you reduce your eye's ability to see shadow detail. It looks blacker because you're not seeing as much. Is that really desirable?? If your gamma was low so your dark areas were too bright, then it would be good. But if your gamma is set properly so the dark areas look like they're supposed to look, then anything that inappropriately reduces your irises will inappropriately reduce your ability to see the dark areas.

I still think the amount of iris-shrinking that happens as a result of reflected light will be pretty small compared to the iris-shrinking caused by light going directly from bright areas into your eye. And the loss in ANSI CR caused by light bouncing back onto the screen will have a larger impact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: