Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

XP Service pack 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: XP Service pack 3 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Windows automatic update just tried to install service pack 3. I cancelled it, this thing works fine now without it. Has anyone had problems with it? Are there benefits to it? Will it fix the LG Combo drive problem?
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put it on about 30 machines, I have not seen any issues. What problem are you having with your LG Combo drive?

One advantage it has is on a fresh reload it requires fewer Windows updates. Right now to bring SP2 up to current it takes about 90 updates, SP3 has many of these rolled into it so after you reload Windows and install SP3 will only take around 15 updates to bring it up to current at this time.

I think memory useage may go up slightly with SP3 over SP2. I would not run XP with less the 768 MB.

If it were me I would download the whole package from the below link and install off the hard drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, i will try that after the weekend. (Goin' Fishin') The LG drive has not recognized any discs that I can recall. I put it in last year and never got it to work and have been too busy to do much with it. I'm running an AMD processor with 2 gigs ram, nvidea 8600gt 512meg card, xp2 and two 160 gig drives. seems to run well, very fast for everything but the LG seems to be nonfunctional. tried other video cards, seems to be an issue with the Athlon 64.
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any issues with the LG combo drive on my setup (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2 GIGS RAM GEFORCE 7950 GT 512)
View user's photo album (1 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
The LG drive has not recognized any discs that I can recall. I put it in last year and never got it to work and have been too busy to do much with it. I'm running an AMD processor with 2 gigs ram, nvidea 8600gt 512meg card, xp2 and two 160 gig drives. seems to run well, very fast for everything but the LG seems to be nonfunctional. tried other video cards, seems to be an issue with the Athlon 64.

It seems like AR had issues with his SATA controller not being compatible with the LG Drive. I believe he ended up installing a USB to SATA adapter and it worked out fine.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=194

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
jkruger wrote:
The LG drive has not recognized any discs that I can recall. I put it in last year and never got it to work and have been too busy to do much with it. I'm running an AMD processor with 2 gigs ram, nvidea 8600gt 512meg card, xp2 and two 160 gig drives. seems to run well, very fast for everything but the LG seems to be nonfunctional. tried other video cards, seems to be an issue with the Athlon 64.

It seems like AR had issues with his SATA controller not being compatible with the LG Drive. I believe he ended up installing a USB to SATA adapter and it worked out fine.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=194

Mike

Yep I did do that. However be advised it's still tempremental You sometimes start a bluray disk and within the first few minutes the computer hangs. Then you have to reboot and try again. The drive disapears from windows.

I have a "new" NOS PCI SATA/USB2 controller card I'll try when I get everything set back up.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: