Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Messing around with ffdshow, and some results

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Messing around with ffdshow, and some results Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've been playing with FFDShow and avisynth in my HT, trying to get some good DVD upscaling going on. Haven't moved to bluray yet, and not a lot is really out on BD anyway.

I'm super CPU-limited (Pentium D 2.6ghz, dual core) but I can do a bit.

There's a filter for Avisynth (a scripted processing language which can run inside ffdshow) that does a 'limited sharpen' which performs sharpening without ringing or EE artifacts of note. It uses massive CPU, though, and there's no way I can run it on an upscaled 1440x960 image. But I'm gradually coming up with some stuff that might work. I haven't tested this for smoothness yet, but it's kind of interesting as it's an unorthodox chain of filters that seems to have a reasonable result. To wit:

Interesting, eh? Certainly not perfect, but what's interesting is that doing the initial upscale to 1440x480 isn't much different than to 1440x960. The final upscale and unsharp mask help eliminate any residual oddness from the lack of vertical upscaling. You end up with some graininess, but given the atrocious quality of DVD to begin with, I actually prefer some grain rather than having a big, blurry blobiness.

With any luck it won't stutter on my machine... I'll try to get some screenshots if it works out.

Is anybody else around here using ffdshow, and if so, what settings?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick shot:

(All of these are raw -literal- screenshots of ZoomPlayer.)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are 1:1, cropped, by the way.

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: