Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How can I rip Blu-Ray DVDs as an image
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So...who owns a Tivo or a D-VHS player?
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
perisoft wrote:
Oh, look! Another sanctimonious blowhard who has no idea what he's talking about!

Oh, look! Another self-righteous

...well... maybe a little...

Quote:
"fair-use" zealot that apparently can't tell the difference between actual fair-use borrowing/lending, rental per a rental license and outright piracy/copyright infringement!

Time shift rentals... Oh, man - that's a good one.

SC

Basically, what GaryFritz said. It gets incredibly complicated if you try to split hairs about rental timeshifting.

If I rent 20 movies from Hollywood Video at once, and stick them on my hard drive, and then watch them one at a time for the next month, who's getting ripped off? I paid for each rental. The movie companies got paid by Hollywood Video. So where's the moral equivalence between that and downloading a movie from teh internets?

Sure, it might violate the rental license. Yay, you win on a technicality. But if I'm Hollywood Video, MGM, the star of the movie, or the key grip, what do I care? My product was purchased and enjoyed. What's the problem?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
So...who owns a Tivo or a D-VHS player?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts Chris! I have not tried My movies but will give it a look some time this week. Now I just need to watch Ebay for an external array!! or better yet Sony could release a HD carousel DVD system.

EDIT** oops! I guess I should have noticed/read the next two pages of the thread.......dohhhh
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote "or better yet Sony could release a HD carousel DVD system."

Do you mean something like this...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665231960

Holds 200 Blu Ray/DVD/CD discs and has a 500Gb Hard drive as well.

Expensive though...~ $3400
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty cool - I hadn't seen it before. Leave it to Sony though to make a big box with a $400 DVD changer, a $400 BD player, and only the media playback portion of a $400 PS3, and then sell it for nearly 3x the individual pieces. $3400. Please.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....

I have a DVD changer and a PS3....

I wonder if I can rig something like this up....

Well,... doesn't matter enough to me. I don't mind putting in discs and putting them away, I usually only watch one thing each time.

-Brian
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know,

I read on BluRay dot com about someone who bought this and then one day after having it for weeks, Sony called and said they were sending over some technicians if the person didn't mind and they wanted to verify it was setup well and make recommendations about it's use and also ask about how much he liked it and things like that.

I didn't read follow up posts after he had them come over (he agreed to the visit.) But,.. Sounded kind of funny.

-Brian
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to get something like the Axonix MediaDeck 4 HDT next year if they release a profile 2 version capable of bitstreaming HD audio over HDMI.

See Brochure

See some info they linked in regards to copyright compliance here

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The equivalent HDD storage as that Bluray switcher provides in hardware is around 10tb - which comes out to about $1200 bucks at today's prices. Not sure what you'd need in the way of a mobo / case to run ten drives, but 5 would be easy, and at $1000 for an HTPC to play the discs and ~$500 for another one to hold five more drives. you've got $2700 - and you can upgrade it easily.

Granted, it would probably take more time to set up, but the end result is vastly cleaner and provides a built-in scaler/gamma/media organizer/audio processor/etc. etc. etc. If your down-time at home is worth more than 40 bucks an hour to you, and you hate working on electronics yourself, then it's a bad idea.

But if you don't want to spend time tuning on electronics, what in god's name are you doing in this forum to begin with? Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gino wrote:
I plan to get something like the Axonix MediaDeck 4 HDT next year if they release a profile 2 version capable of bitstreaming HD audio over HDMI.

See Brochure

See some info they linked in regards to copyright compliance here

So i'm reading that this thing will rip and store Bluray media on its harddrive?

NICE.

But DAMN!!!

$8295.00 for a one room 500 GB unit.

$2495.00 per add'l room Shocked

I gotta finish law school.... Crying or Very sad

View user's photo album (3 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight grand for a $1000 PC with an (undoubtedly) open source media center on it? Good work if you can get it... christ, what a bunch of losers. Sometimes I wonder why I'm in an honest business...

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
The equivalent HDD storage as that Bluray switcher provides in hardware is around 10tb - which comes out to about $1200 bucks at today's prices. Not sure what you'd need in the way of a mobo / case to run ten drives, but 5 would be easy, and at $1000 for an HTPC to play the discs and ~$500 for another one to hold five more drives. you've got $2700 - and you can upgrade it easily.

Don't forget you'd need about a 2tb boost for the parity disks, and a RAID 6 controller (which is what they use in that product) to run it. That's going to boost your cost by at least another $1k, probably more. Not to mention all the HW and SW development work (even if they leveraged an open-source media server), etc. You know what it takes to make a profit on a product -- I find it fairly surprising they sell it as cheaply as they do.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
perisoft wrote:

Don't forget you'd need about a 2tb boost for the parity disks, and a RAID 6 controller (which is what they use in that product) to run it. That's going to boost your cost by at least another $1k, probably more. Not to mention all the HW and SW development work (even if they leveraged an open-source media server), etc. You know what it takes to make a profit on a product -- I find it fairly surprising they sell it as cheaply as they do.

True, but it's *not* a 12tb media system with parity disks, a raid 6 controller, and software. It's a CD switcher mechanism and a PS3. Smile

Yeah, it -is- hard to make a profit on a product, and there's a big difference between rolling your own and producing/marketing/supporting a mass market product. But while there may indeed be a valid reason for those components and that software costing that much, it doesn't mean that the product is the best way to get the job done, or a good value compared to more innovative ways of solving the same problem.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wasn't talking about the Sony jukebox. That's "only" about $3400. The Axonix systems that Gino linked to do include some 10-15tb systems with RAID6, and I assumed that was the $8200 toy. But it looks like the $8200 one is only a 500GB server (!?) and a player. Now that IS a rip.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
...$8200 ...500GB server (!?)...

Maybe they think it's 1998? Smile

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys never heard of Kaleidescape or AMX? These things only do SD DVD at the moment, and you would be looking at $25K and up

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gino wrote:
You guys never heard of Kaleidescape or AMX? These things only do SD DVD at the moment, and you would be looking at $25K and up

Maybe they think it's 1988? Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way this thread can get back to the actual topic and just everyone who is NOT interested in making BD iso's playable just not post ??
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
Is there any way this thread can get back to the actual topic and just everyone who is NOT interested in making BD iso's playable just not post ??

...ok, that's it. Honest.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: