Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How can I rip Blu-Ray DVDs as an image
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lite426

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: How can I rip Blu-Ray DVDs as an image Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have AnyDVD which lets me rip Blu-rays to my harddisk, but it just copies all the files over. I don't know how to play the movie with PowerDVD if I just have the files alone. It doesn't let me make it into an image file which I can mount with Daemon-Tools. Does anyone know a program that can do this? Thanks.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of a solution to this yet. It would be nice for timeshifting my BD rentals through BB.
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use ImgBurn with AnyDVD HD. ImgBurn will let you make an ISO image that can be mounted with Daemon-Tools.

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daemon-Tools is seen as a valid BR playing device in PowerDVD?
lite426

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much.

In case it doesn't work and I can only copy the files, can someone tell me how to play the movie with those files? What do I have to browse to in PowerDVD?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Linux-based command called "dd" that does raw reads/writes to & from disks. You can do the same thing on Windows (see e.g. this page) and just copy from the BD to an ISO. Daemontools can mount that. (At least it works with a normal DVD. I haven't tried it with BluRay.)
lite426

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris I did as you suggested, using ImgBurn with AnyDVDHD. It was able to rip an image of the disc perfectly!

BUT problem here is when I try and play it with PowerDVD. It says "INFORMATION - A critical component of the player requires periodic updates. New movies could fail to play if the critical component is not updated promptly. Would you like to update now?" I click yes and it says updated successfully, but it won't work and repeats the same message.

So is there any other software that can let me play Blu-Ray discs?

And another thing I need to know is, if I directly copy the Blu-Ray disk's entire contents over to my hard disk, how should I play the movie? Is there a specific file I need to navigate to? Thanks.

Last edited by lite426 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
yeme

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Use ImgBurn with AnyDVD HD. ImgBurn will let you make an ISO image that can be mounted with Daemon-Tools.

Chris.

As Chris stated above, I can play the ISO with my OEM PDVD. It sees the BD as a disk.
lite426

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And another thing I need to know is, if I directly copy the Blu-Ray disk's entire contents over to my hard disk, how should I play the movie? Is there a specific file I need to navigate to?

Please could one of you experts explain this please Very Happy
Otherwise I am just sitting with a bunch of unplayable files
yeme

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lite426,

Install Daemon Tools (http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon)
Right click the Daemon tool icon and mount the ISO you created with Imgbrn
In PDVD select the mounted drive (on my system it is F:\ drive-my DVD player is E:\)

PDVD should see the ISO as the original disk and play.
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lite426 wrote:
Chris I did as you suggested, using ImgBurn with AnyDVDHD. It was able to rip an image of the disc perfectly!

BUT problem here is when I try and play it with PowerDVD. It says "INFORMATION - A critical component of the player requires periodic updates. New movies could fail to play if the critical component is not updated promptly. Would you like to update now?" I click yes and it says updated successfully, but it won't work and repeats the same message.

So is there any other software that can let me play Blu-Ray discs?

And another thing I need to know is, if I directly copy the Blu-Ray disk's entire contents over to my hard disk, how should I play the movie? Is there a specific file I need to navigate to? Thanks.

Which version of PowerDVD are you using?

To find out which vesion, open PowerDVD, right click in the window and go to "about" when the new window opens, left click in the box that has the name that the product is licenced to. In the new box it will list a bunch of info including "DVD Version: ....."

That is the version you are using.

Chris.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are able to make disc copies of Blu-ray discs?
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
You guys are able to make disc copies of Blu-ray discs?

Yes Smile

Chris.
lite426

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeme, I am using Daemon Tools and have it mounted. PowerDVD recognizes the disk and plays the movie for a few seconds before that error interrupts about needing an update.

Chris I'm using PowerDVD version 8.0.1531.50. I'm pretty sure it's a recent or the newest version.

But No one answered my other question Sad

Quote:
And another thing I need to know is, if I directly copy the Blu-Ray disk's entire contents over to my hard disk, how should I play the movie? Is there a specific file I need to navigate to?
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's time for a new guide. "The Blu Ray Ripping - Burning Guide for Dummies". I was pretty sure it was possible but it seems like a lot of work to me just from the little bit I have read about it.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropzone7 wrote:
Okay, it's time for a new guide. "The Blu Ray Ripping - Burning Guide for Dummies". I was pretty sure it was possible but it seems like a lot of work to me just from the little bit I have read about it.

Actually ripping Blu Ray disks is very easy. As I said before use ImgBurn to create the ISO image and use Daemon Tools to mount the ISO image. The image will now show up as if there is a Blu Ray disk in the drive. I use PowerDVD Ultra for playback.

For this process to run you need to be running AnyDVD HD. This takes care of any copy protection.

This can all be integrated nicly into Windows Media Center with My Movies

The same process also works for HDDVD disks.

Chris.
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lite426 wrote:
Yeme, I am using Daemon Tools and have it mounted. PowerDVD recognizes the disk and plays the movie for a few seconds before that error interrupts about needing an update.

Chris I'm using PowerDVD version 8.0.1531.50. I'm pretty sure it's a recent or the newest version.

But No one answered my other question Sad

Quote:

You can`t play back the files directly with the newer versions of PowerDVD, they have disabled that feature. Using version 7.3 patch 3319a and all is good for file playback but there are other issues....

Chris.
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:
dropzone7 wrote:

Actually ripping Blu Ray disks is very easy. As I said before use ImgBurn to create the ISO image and use Daemon Tools to mount the ISO image. The image will now show up as if there is a Blu Ray disk in the drive. I use PowerDVD Ultra for playback.

For this process to run you need to be running AnyDVD HD. This takes care of any copy protection.

This can all be integrated nicly into Windows Media Center with My Movies

The same process also works for HDDVD disks.

Chris.

All of this works with a regular DVD drive or do you need a Blu Ray drive? So I could put together a computer or HTPC of sorts and run HDMI out of it like any other component into an HDMI switching receiver and still get TrueHD and DTS-MA audio over HDMI? It sure would be nice to have all my Blu Ray and HD-DVD movies archived to a large hard drive and be able to play them with something like WMC or something with a "front end" interface that has cover art where you just select the movie with your remote and it plays from the drive.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my questions everyone.

It's a great shame that I get this annoying update message which stops me playing blu-ray movies. Sad
Does anyone have any suggestions to fix it?

Quote:
All of this works with a regular DVD drive or do you need a Blu Ray drive?

You need a Blu Ray drive to read Blu Ray media. I got one for quite a good price, £67 from Ebuyer. It can read HDDVD disks also.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139985/show_product_overview
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropzone7 wrote:
All of this works with a regular DVD drive or do you need a Blu Ray drive? So I could put together a computer or HTPC of sorts and run HDMI out of it like any other component into an HDMI switching receiver and still get TrueHD and DTS-MA audio over HDMI? It sure would be nice to have all my Blu Ray and HD-DVD movies archived to a large hard drive and be able to play them with something like WMC or something with a "front end" interface that has cover art where you just select the movie with your remote and it plays from the drive.

I don`t think you can get audio over HDMI but there is starting to be some support for audio over DVI from the HTPC.

Check out the HTPC forum at AVS there is alot more info there.

I`m currently running analog out from my HTPC to my receiver.

Chris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: