Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee moome Gamma calibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Marquee moome Gamma calibration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I played a bit with the moome gamma settings (potentiometer and remote) together with the trial version of "monitor test" that includes some nice "all in one" gamma test patterns for white and R G and B.

The maxium settings I could get with the moome card (viewing the patterns were:

W: 1,48
R: 1,35
G: 1,35
B: 1,58 (higher because of the internal blue gamma of the 9500lc ultra?)

Something must be wrong.....

I was aiming for the overall gamma of 2.2...BUT perhaps the program only is suited for non-crt curves?

Anyone who has done gamma measurements using the moome card setting or did the same exepriment with the monitor-test program ?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my card this week. Last night I was doing a tuneup and had an overall gamma of 1.74. Will explore more tonight. BTW, I'm using the new pluge targets on DVE-HD Basics blu-ray disc.
View user's photo album (11 photos)
winduptoy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of screenshots from last night's session...
winduptoy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oop! Hit wrong button...Sorry.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquee moome Gamma calibration Reply with quote

Arno P wrote:

Yes -- it's your understanding of gamma. Laughing

Darker = higher gamma number, lighter = lower gamma number. See e.g. this post.

The "gamma booster" boxes boost the low-end light levels, making the shadow detail brighter. This produces a LOWER gamma number. Assuming you're using HCFR, display the Luminance graph. With gammas in the 1.35 range, you'll see that your luminance numbers are way ABOVE the 2.2 target, like the 1.5 example in the above post. You're boosting too much. Turn down the Moome boost and measure again, and you'll get higher gamma numbers.
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquee moome Gamma calibration Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Arno P wrote:

Yes -- it's your understanding of gamma. Laughing

Darker = higher gamma number, lighter = lower gamma number. See e.g. this post.

The "gamma booster" boxes boost the low-end light levels, making the shadow detail brighter. This produces a LOWER gamma number. Assuming you're using HCFR, display the Luminance graph. With gammas in the 1.35 range, you'll see that your luminance numbers are way ABOVE the 2.2 target, like the 1.5 example in the above post. You're boosting too much. Turn down the Moome boost and measure again, and you'll get higher gamma numbers.

I do understand gamma (and the boost for the lower part of the curve taht the moome does)...BUT....turning the moome to the extremes on both sides of the scale I expected to reach this 2.2....(since the eye is seeing the effect of gamma in total) Right?...or was I too positive thinking I could do without a measurement by simply using a test pattern for gamma?

It's measurement time again then... Wink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning the adjustment screw to midrange and measure again. I would expect that to produce a higher gamma number.
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Try turning the adjustment screw to midrange and measure again. I would expect that to produce a higher gamma number.

Hm, didnt try that before..thx

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what's happening is that you had it boosted too high, and that gave you the low gamma number. If you put it in the middle of the adjustment range, that should ensure you're somewhere near a reasonable gamma. Measuring it with the median setting will give you an idea if you should boost it (to lower the gamma) or drop it (to raise the gamma) from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: