Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Will the RTC2200 benefit rear projection HDTV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulywog

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Will the RTC2200 benefit rear projection HDTV? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Sony KP-53HS10 rear projection TV. I bought the set in 2000 and it was sold as HDTV ready. It has only one digital input which is component. HD devices can be connected either Y-Pb-Pr or R-G-B-V-H. I just recently started using the HD modes with devices connected via the Y-Pb-Pr method. I have encountered an annoying sync issue which turns out to be a design flaw in the component sync circuitry. Sony even had a confidential service bulletin (I guess only made known to customers who registered the problem). Of course now being long out of warranty the repair would be on me which is more than it is worth on this older set. I wondered if the problem could be remedied by using the RGBHV connection rather than just the YPB as the sync may be delivered differently. Sure enough I found a forum supporting that theory. I ran accross the following on a TiVo forum:

********************************************************************************************
For anyone who stumbles across this thread via Google, I have found another possible solution to the loss of sync problem on these sets.

I was reading the Sony service bulletin and noticed the loss of sync only occurred with component video. Since I have a KP-53HS10 with RGBHV inputs I thought I might try a component to VGA converter to see if it would eliminate the problem.

IT WORKED!

I used a (Brand and model removed) component to VGA converter with an HD-15 to 5 RGB Video Cable with 5 RCA outputs.

I switched the Video 5 DTV input from Y-Pb-Pr to R-G-B in the menu and the loss of sync problem was completely eliminated.

*********************************************************************************************
So, my question is, do you think the RTC2200 would benefit my rear projection set? If the sync problem can be corrected by rerouting sync into the RGBVH inputs would the RTC2200 accomplish that?

Additionally, would the gamma correction be of use to me on a rear projection set? After sending 1080i signals into this set I am very pleased with the image sharpness. However, I have noticed that the picture is darker.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at these products also.

http://www.curtpalme.com/EXT-FULLHD.shtm

http://www.curtpalme.com/Box1040.shtm

These will also do the job

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Will the RTC2200 benefit rear projection HDTV? Reply with quote

Paulywog wrote:
I have a Sony KP-53HS10 rear projection TV. I bought the set in 2000 and it was sold as HDTV ready. It has only one digital input which is component.

Component isn't digital, it's analog. The only digital video inputs on consumer equipment are HDMI and DVI.

Quote:
HD devices can be connected either Y-Pb-Pr or R-G-B-V-H.

Are you sure? YPbPr is component and is completely different from RGBHV.

Quote:
So, my question is, do you think the RTC2200 would benefit my rear projection set? If the sync problem can be corrected by rerouting sync into the RGBVH inputs would the RTC2200 accomplish that?

Good question. I don't know your set so I don't know.

What do I know is that the RTC2200 is considered one of (if not the) best component (YPbPr) to RGBHV converter on the market today, and it has a ton of sync features/options available too.

Quote:
Additionally, would the gamma correction be of use to me on a rear projection set? After sending 1080i signals into this set I am very pleased with the image sharpness. However, I have noticed that the picture is darker.

Gamma correction (or boost) may be useful on any display device who's gamma is too low. Typically this includes all CRT technology displays such as your RPTV. CRT requires gamma boost to have a correct 2.2 average gamma curve (see the greyscale & colour calibration guide in my signature for more info).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Sony will indeed accept RGBHV on the Video 5 input and the manual seems to indicate it will do 480p and 1080i. So yes the RTC2200 will allow you to hoop up your component out sources and the gamma should help with the dark picture that most high res CRT TV's seems to have (mine does the same).

Kim

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: