Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Timeshifting BD rentals w/ HTPC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Timeshifting BD rentals w/ HTPC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
BD drives are coming down enough so that they'll probably hit my $100 price threshold soon. So I'm considering taking the plunge (birthday's sept. 23... Thumbs Up).

I've got a 2.4ghz Pentium D (dual core)... not too fast but not awful. 7900GTX onboard. It can play 1080p WMV/AVI files without breaking a sweat, so I assume BD playback won't be an issue.

The plan is to rip BDs to the HD before I watch them, at least if I want to timeshift further out than the rental time. I know that AnyDVD HD will do the job, but I'm curious how playback works. With ripped DVDs, I just point Zoomplayer to the directory containing the DVD file structure. No idea if BD is similar - any thoughts?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I haven't ripped BD and have no idea what software is needed to do so, but for playback from the hard-drive you will need PDVD 7.3 before they broke the HDD playback.

-What motherboard do you have that has a 7900GTX onboard? it should work for BD as my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with Geforce 7950GT does a great job.

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry - it's not an onboard card, it's just that it's on board the computer. Smile

My secondary question is what's available in the way of audio filters - I copy the LFE channel to the two fronts since the Vegas have such good bass response, and it would suck to lose that functionality (I do it with AC3Filter now). Any ideas?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
My secondary question is what's available in the way of audio filters - I copy the LFE channel to the two fronts since the Vegas have such good bass response, and it would suck to lose that functionality (I do it with AC3Filter now). Any ideas?

PDVD has an option to direct an amount of the LFE to the two front channels. You could also hardwire it out of the HTPC.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
perisoft wrote:

PDVD has an option to direct an amount of the LFE to the two front channels. You could also hardwire it out of the HTPC.

Fantastic! I wonder if I can make my Creative Extigy's remote control work with it... (Actually, so far I can't make it work at all. Creative's Extigy software package seems to have no support for it, oddly enough!)

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your PC will be far too slow and you will need a later video card with full hardware acceleration.

To use Zoomplayer you will need to convert the files ripped with Anydvd HD to .MKV (and typically convert the audio to FLAC) using eac3to.exe (from Doom9), and mux to a single .mkv file using mkvmerge. Takes about 1.5 hours all up per disc.

To use Powerdvd you will need to rip the BD as an .ISO file using ImgBurn and mount it as an image using Daemon Tools Lite. You will find that using the early versions which allow playback from hard drive directly is problematic... Ripping as an .ISO is actually quite simple.

The downside with Powerdvd is there is NO GAMMA adjustment whatsover as it uses overlay and ignore the video cards overlay colour controls. GRR.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hijacking the thread somewhat, but... what about ripping BD's for non-HTPC use?

My PS3 can play .mp4 and similar files. I use Handbrake for time-shifting SD DVDs, but that's not going to cut it for BD.

Supposedly you can load Linux onto the PS3 (since that's the only BD reader I have currently) and rip the .iso with a simple dd command, but then you still have an AACS-encoded file. What would it take to pull .mp4's out of the ISO? Do you have a solution for that on your HTPC? Only one I know about is SlySoft AnyDVD HD.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I get why I can play 1080p mov/avi/wmv without a hitch, but bd won't work. Iirc it's mpeg4; not too cpu intensive. And if I rip out the protection, the cpu load drops even more. Am I missing something?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluray's bit rate is way higher.

I can play ALL HD-DVDs and all WMV/AVI/ETC on my Opteron 165 at 2.4 Ghz (faster than a Pentium D), but it struggles with some 16:9 BDs and I have to use Media Player Classic with Hardware Accel, or Powerdvd. 2.35:1 BDs are fine in software.
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
The downside with Powerdvd is there is NO GAMMA adjustment whatsover as it uses overlay and ignore the video cards overlay colour controls. GRR.

You can have Gamma in Powerdvd with an Nvidia card and purevideo. In fact I can set Gamma per (color) channel for Powerdvd with my Geforce 7950GT
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?

With an ATi card it ignores the Drivers overlay colour controls. You wiggle the gamma control all you like and nothing happens.

I thought it was a Powerdvd issue, but maybe it's an ATi one.

It's not that big a deal as I rip all my movies to MKV, but I'd like to fix it.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 7000-series nvidia cards don't have HW accel for BDs? I've got some newer cards with less 3D grunt I could stick in there - an 8600GT for one, I think. Any advice as to which cards would do acceleration?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
So the 7000-series nvidia cards don't have HW accel for BDs? I've got some newer cards with less 3D grunt I could stick in there - an 8600GT for one, I think. Any advice as to which cards would do acceleration?

Since no one responded, I'll give you a real late one, especially to set the records straight about the Pentium D. Pretty much the 8000+ series, but I don't think the 8400 does it. I've seen 8600's for a little more than 50 bucks. ATI has some in the 2000 series and above. Not terribly familiar with them.

I'm running a Pentium D on Vista in my HTPC and it produces a smoking picture. I threw the drive in a Phenom and saw no noticable difference, but I had an 8800GT doing the bulk of the work. For HTPC use, there shouldn't be much difference between the 8800 and 8600GT.

With a hardware capable GPU, you could probably run it on a PIII and it would look great. Well, that may be a stretch, but.....

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
perisoft wrote:

Since no one responded, I'll give you a real late one, especially to set the records straight about the Pentium D. Pretty much the 8000+ series, but I don't think the 8400 does it. I've seen 8600's for a little more than 50 bucks. ATI has some in the 2000 series and above. Not terribly familiar with them.

I'm running a Pentium D on Vista in my HTPC and it produces a smoking picture. I threw the drive in a Phenom and saw no noticable difference, but I had an 8800GT doing the bulk of the work. For HTPC use, there shouldn't be much difference between the 8800 and 8600GT.

With a hardware capable GPU, you could probably run it on a PIII and it would look great. Well, that may be a stretch, but.....

Not too late - I haven't got a BD drive yet anyway. I like to plan ahead. Smile Thanks for the reply... Yeah, I've got a 7900 in there now, but I can swap in an 8600GT or a 9800GT that I've got in other machines. The 9800 is completely wasted in the machine it's in, anyway.. Razz

The only thing that suddenly concerns me is the ability to do overlays and gamma, which I guess will depend on the player. But I'm not sure if hardware decoding limits your options. It's *necessary* to do gamma, and would be *nice* to do some overlays to do contrast modulation and so forth. I don't really care about processing in any more detail - sharpening and upscaling are pretty pointless for BD. Smile

It ought to be dead easy to do per-channel brightness overlays for contrast modulation or wear knockouts by rendering the image to a few textures and using a shader; it would use zero CPU, and the as far as the video card is concerned it's a non-issue. But I'm not sure that any software actually DOES that. If not, I really need to learn C and directX programming... Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:

Not too late - I haven't got a BD drive yet anyway. I like to plan ahead. Smile Thanks for the reply... Yeah, I've got a 7900 in there now, but I can swap in an 8600GT or a 9800GT that I've got in other machines. The 9800 is completely wasted in the machine it's in, anyway.. Razz

I'd be tempted to try all 3 and see how it handles it. My understanding is that the Pent D is the same as the Core 2, dual core, whichever the next released CPU was, it just uses more power.

perisoft wrote:

The only thing that suddenly concerns me is the ability to do overlays and gamma, which I guess will depend on the player. But I'm not sure if hardware decoding limits your options. It's *necessary* to do gamma, and would be *nice* to do some overlays to do contrast modulation and so forth. I don't really care about processing in any more detail - sharpening and upscaling are pretty pointless for BD. Smile

That's a really good point I never thought of. Both PowerStrip and Nvidia home grown software worked with BR discs. The only way that would be possible would be if it was hardware encoded. Or possible without any noticable CPU spike. It's obvious Nvidia uses hardware and I believe their libraries are availablish, so PowerStrip can use it as well.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
perisoft wrote:

I'd be tempted to try all 3 and see how it handles it. My understanding is that the Pent D is the same as the Core 2, dual core, whichever the next released CPU was, it just uses more power.

perisoft wrote:

That's a really good point I never thought of. Both PowerStrip and Nvidia home grown software worked with BR discs. The only way that would be possible would be if it was hardware encoded. Or possible without any noticable CPU spike. It's obvious Nvidia uses hardware and I believe their libraries are availablish, so PowerStrip can use it as well.

Powerstrip doesn't work with the 8xxx and 9xxx series Nvidia cards. Or has that changed recently?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Angus_rg wrote:

Powerstrip doesn't work with the 8xxx and 9xxx series Nvidia cards. Or has that changed recently?

It worked great for me, but now that I think about it, I think I've watch DVDs. I tried watching The Muppet Movie with my daughter and you couldn't see a thing w/o. Watched it with, and WOW!!!!! Huge difference. Oddly enough, it's a very dark movie, at least in the beginning.

NVidia is suppose to make that junk public, otherwise gaming companies couldn't take advantage and they couldn't claim the best picture. Not to say that companies are using it.

Of course, my HTPC is in pieces right now, and it may take me a while to test it. Why do I always need to take things apart?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Angus_rg wrote:

It worked great for me, but now that I think about it, I think I've watch DVDs. I tried watching The Muppet Movie with my daughter and you couldn't see a thing w/o. Watched it with, and WOW!!!!! Huge difference. Oddly enough, it's a very dark movie, at least in the beginning.

NVidia is suppose to make that junk public, otherwise gaming companies couldn't take advantage and they couldn't claim the best picture. Not to say that companies are using it.

Of course, my HTPC is in pieces right now, and it may take me a while to test it. Why do I always need to take things apart?

Which model Nvidia card do you have?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Which model Nvidia card do you have?

8800GT

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone discovers how to have Gamma control using an ATI card, please post it. Nvidia is no problem using Gamma and their control center...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: