Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Recommendations for a new HTPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK this Saturday for sure. Laughing

Been crazy busy fixing everyone else's stuff.

I finally got my hands on 2x512 DDR2 6400. So I'll have 3GB RAM for this PC. Thumbs Up A sweet spot for 32 bit WinXP

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alive!! Photo's to follow....
_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, almost a whole new machine and a whole new set of issues.
Can't get power strip to run, DVD's play but Bluray don't ( opposite of the issue I had with the old system ) and the game "Alone in the dark plays so poorly it's unplayable.

I'll figure it out.

On the plus side I now have internet on it.

Here's a few pictures from the (re) build:



900_IMG_2030.jpg
 Description:
Pretty box
 Filesize:  160.71 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2030.jpg



900_IMG_2031.jpg
 Description:
Processor specifications
 Filesize:  105.24 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2031.jpg



900_IMG_2032.jpg
 Description:
2GB DDR2 RAM
 Filesize:  114.08 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2032.jpg



900_IMG_2040.jpg
 Description:
Fan OEM
 Filesize:  75.48 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2040.jpg



900_IMG_2050.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.79 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2050.jpg



900_IMG_2094.jpg
 Description:
Processor Quad Core
 Filesize:  184.34 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2094.jpg



900_IMG_2096.jpg
 Description:
Single tuner Hauppauge 150 card
 Filesize:  163.12 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2096.jpg



900_IMG_2097.jpg
 Description:
2 tuner Hauppauge 500 card reused
 Filesize:  129.65 KB
 Viewed:  6952 Time(s)

900_IMG_2097.jpg



_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you download the latest drivers for the video from ATI?


Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Did you download the latest drivers for the video from ATI?


Mike


Yup. Tried the ones that came with it too.

It's an on board ATi 4200 with shared 512megs DDR2

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
Did you download the latest drivers for the video from ATI?


Mike


Yup. Tried the ones that came with it too.

It's an on board ATi 4200 with shared 512megs DDR2



The ones that come with it are worthless...

Did you get it from the link below?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx


Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
Did you download the latest drivers for the video from ATI?


Mike


Yup. Tried the ones that came with it too.

It's an on board ATi 4200 with shared 512megs DDR2



The ones that come with it are worthless...

Did you get it from the link below?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx


Mike


Yes that's where I got it.

The regular ATi site wouldn't work.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What player software are you trying to use?


Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old version of Power DVD.

EDIT: 7.3 Ultra

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you applied any patches to the 7.3? the original on the disk is total trash...It wouldn't play anything.

Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Have you applied any patches to the 7.3? the original on the disk is total trash...It wouldn't play anything.

Mike


No I don't think that is the patched version. I remember back when HD-DVD came out I bought the licence for Ultra online for $99. Not sure where the software came from.

I'll look for an update.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
Have you applied any patches to the 7.3? the original on the disk is total trash...It wouldn't play anything.

Mike


No I don't think that is the patched version. I remember back when HD-DVD came out I bought the licence for Ultra online for $99. Not sure where the software came from.

I'll look for an update.


Found it, I have the downloaded version so I downloaded the appropriate patch from this page:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

PowerDVD Ultra
2008-12-11
PowerDVD 7 Ultra Updates: This update file updates PowerDVD 7 Ultra to PowerDVD 7 Ultra build 4617a. For PowerDVD retail and online purchase versions only .

Funny though when you click on the update from within PowerDVD it tries to grab the latest and greatest full version by automatically starting the download - not my favourite thing

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished re-reading this thread. In the last 5 years my spelling has improved. Unfortunately my computer karma has NOT improved much. Man this PC was a PITA!
_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...PDVD is crap....If you want to play Blu-ray a XP/HTPC it's really hard to get working correctly.

I gave up years ago...I know that's not the answer you wanted...Not much development going on for XP/HTPC these days...Most folks have moved on.

Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Yeah...PDVD is crap....If you want to play Blu-ray a XP/HTPC it's really hard to get working correctly.

I gave up years ago...I know that's not the answer you wanted...Not much development going on for XP/HTPC these days...Most folks have moved on.

Mike


I mothballed this PC in 2009 when I got my stand alone bluray players. Seems to be playing things OK now.

Like I said before, I haven't gotten my moneys worth outta XP yet. No need to upgrade.

If everything still worked with Win98 I'd be running that on this PC.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

If everything still worked with Win98 I'd be running that on this PC.


Therein lies the problem..XP just wasn't designed for Blu-ray. Win7 has built-in support for DVD...It just works...No Blu-ray yet...Win 8 maybe?

Dude that OS is 10 years old. Smile plus PDVD 7.3 is 4 years old...I don't think they update it anymore...so the BD+ stuff is really outdated in that version. There "Might" be hope if AnyDVD is running in the tray to handle the DRM.

What Blu-ray are you trying to play?

Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

If everything still worked with Win98 I'd be running that on this PC.


Therein lies the problem..XP just wasn't designed for Blu-ray. Win7 has built-in support for DVD...It just works...No Blu-ray yet...Win 8 maybe?

Dude that OS is 10 years old. Smile plus PDVD 7.3 is 4 years old...I don't think they update it anymore...so the BD+ stuff is really outdated in that version. There "Might" be hope if AnyDVD is running in the tray to handle the DRM.

What Blu-ray are you trying to play?

Mike


Any of them

I got it working with the patch. Guess that means my HTPC is on the bluray patch Laughing

What's you fascination with age BTW? I run old stuff all the time.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

What's you fascination with age BTW? I run old stuff all the time.



I don't like fighting it, prefer watching movies then screwing around with my HTPC...Blu-ray is a struggle with the DRM issues and older stuff...My AnyDVD updates about every week to handle it.

Glad you got it working. Thumbs Up

Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

What's you fascination with age BTW? I run old stuff all the time.



I don't like fighting it, prefer watching movies then screwing around with my HTPC...Blu-ray is a struggle with the DRM issues and older stuff...My AnyDVD updates about every week to handle it.

Glad you got it working. Thumbs Up

Mike


Thanks,
I use AnyDVD too

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 24711
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Powerstrip wouldn't recognize the on board 4200 ATi chip I turned it off and went back to the 3850 card. Works much better now. I also respun WinXP one more time. I had too many drivers in there from testing capture cards.

I picked up a Hauppauge 1850 capture card for the useless PCIe 1x slot. It works, and after testing an ATi 650 ( pure unadulterated crap ) and the buying a Hauppauge 2250 card only to find out the dual tuners can't switch between analog and digital because they didn't include two co-axial inputs.
I found the 1850 card, dual co-axial inputs 1 analog ( cable TV ) and one for the ATSC ( antenna ), PCIe 1x, and actually records what you tell it to (unlike the ATi ). Has FM too although I have never used it.

Now to add a side case fan to cool the video card and add the Auzentech sound card in there and I have a nice HTPC.
Then back to trying to get Blueray and DVD playing nice and powerstriping 1080i for the RPTV. Very Happy

Good old fun.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum