Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Recommendations for a new HTPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wait...why don't you like the 2250? Are you saying that it can't record one analog and one digital at the same time? I guess I haven't tried that yet but I also have an HDHomerun so I can never tell which HD tuner I am watching in 7MC.

I still have some PVR 150's sitting around here somewhere...those bring back memories.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's exactly what I am saying about the 2250. It only has ONE co-axial input. So if you plug in the ATSC antenna you can only do 2x digital.

Although it would do analog/digital if you cable system broadcasts QAM in the clear digital channels, because you would only require one co-axial cable

I actually didn't mean to post that picture of the 150's BTW wrong file number Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently running 2 hauppauge cards. A 1600 PCI and an 1850 PCIe 1x. 4 tuners, dead reliable. I like it!

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it sure doesn't take long to fill 1.8TB (So called 2TB lies) hard drives with this machine. Gone through 2 and need another. Also addded a Bluray burner. Very handy.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 1.8TB Drive number 3, also miss placed my 500gb drive. Damn, it has the last season of Chuck on it too.

This box just keeps hummin' along.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 1.8TB drive #5, the analog channels are going away slowly here so i may have to get two of those useless cable TV boxes by Cisco just to get back to where I was 7 years ago. Yeah, digital cable really great Thumbs Down

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 1.8TB drive number 8, tried hooking up the cable box using the IR blaster that's plugged into the Hauppauge 1800 card. Won't work in a system with two capture cards! PITA!

For now, just recording ATSC.

Also added the Homerun HD tuner v.1 that Greg was talking about above, -the actual- tuner that was Greg's. I bought it off him and didn't even realize his post was here Laughing
Won't work in Win7 but works great in Mythuntu linux. Mythuntu actually found it and launched the tuner application. Can't tune the sub channels though. No matter. Just bought it to play with.

My point is this HTPC is still humming along.
...and I needed to bump this post so I could find it. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also will be playing with blending using the spare parts from this build and a Quadro card. See here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37855

I'm also looking for one of the ATi AIW-3650-HD cards should be around $30 now. Also looking for the ATI All-In-Wonder HD Accessory Kit with the Composite/S-video/Component input to go with it. Should be fun to play with.

Resurrect the old PC's and put them to use.

EDIT: Composite/S-video in Component OUT Sad

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble- the system is down! No boot! Stay tuned!

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny, almost a year to the day...

Booted it after not using it for 4 months or so, Windoze XP froze, I took it apart, changed the 120mm fan, cleaned the dust out. Changed the BIOS battery and restored the BIOS on the dual BIOS motherboard. Booted it up, and am now doing a test recording.

Just a litte maintinence.

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just booted a Windows 2000 computer that had not been turned on in over a decade. I can't believe it worked.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8-yr-old laptop (that I've hauled around the country for 70-80 weeks of business trips and another 10-15 weeks of family visits) was getting a bit noisy -- cooling fan obviously going. I was hoping it would hang in there until I got a new laptop Real Soon. Well it didn't. Got a new fan, and of course the fan is buried deep in the belly of the beast hooked up to heatsinks &etc, but I got it replaced. But now the laptop won't boot normally. I can boot into Safe Mode, but even a Clean Boot (all services/etc disabled) doesn't work. It displays the blue-window boot screen, but the little spinny-circle thingie either runs forever until it gives up and goes into a troubleshooting menu, or it just freezes up. I've tried everything I can think of, including doing a complete image-backup restore. No joy. Sad
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they folded the TV spectrum and cut the TV channels in half this box is having trouble recording. I may have to repurpose it to XP gaming again. Either that or pick up a 4 tuner hauppauge card and win7 Pro and a new hard drive.......

Gary I feel your pain. I had an HP here with a bad fan, bad DVD slot, bad/intermittant touch pad and a hell of a booting issue.

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
My 8-yr-old laptop (that I've hauled around the country for 70-80 weeks of business trips and another 10-15 weeks of family visits) was getting a bit noisy -- cooling fan obviously going. I was hoping it would hang in there until I got a new laptop Real Soon. Well it didn't. Got a new fan, and of course the fan is buried deep in the belly of the beast hooked up to heatsinks &etc, but I got it replaced. But now the laptop won't boot normally. I can boot into Safe Mode, but even a Clean Boot (all services/etc disabled) doesn't work. It displays the blue-window boot screen, but the little spinny-circle thingie either runs forever until it gives up and goes into a troubleshooting menu, or it just freezes up. I've tried everything I can think of, including doing a complete image-backup restore. No joy. Sad

Gary I have had luck buying used laptops off ebay. I go for high end laptopsl like a Dell Latitude. I found the trick is to buy one without a hard drive. I realize buying Windows is an added cost along with a new hard drive. Fortunately I don't use Windows.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I have a sexy new (refurb) laptop on its way (HP Spectre x360 15", 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD). I just wanted to resurrect the old beast because it has some legacy apps that I won't be able to replicate on the new laptop. Plus I hate to throw something away if I can fix it, something many in this group will understand. Very Happy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Oh I have a sexy new (refurb) laptop on its way (HP Spectre x360 15", 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD). I just wanted to resurrect the old beast because it has some legacy apps that I won't be able to replicate on the new laptop. Plus I hate to throw something away if I can fix it, something many in this group will understand. Very Happy

Nope can't relate. Not at all, Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 pm
Yes that's exactly what I am saying about the 2250. It only has ONE co-axial input. So if you plug in the ATSC antenna you can only do 2x digital.

Although it would do analog/digital if you cable system broadcasts QAM in the clear digital channels, because you would only require one co-axial cable

I actually didn't mean to post that picture of the 150's BTW wrong file number Laughing

Just re-installed this card as the other two were acting up. Also put the Auzen Tech Xmeridian back in. Found the manual and driver disk beside the HTPC - right where I left it in 2008 Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this topic has been viewed 134078 times! AWEsome!

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSOD, memory error, did a live boot Mint 19.3 64bit MATE. Seemed to work. Died on the reboot the next day. Possible motherboard, RAM or power supply.

Might be time for another motherboard, for those keeping count that's number 5.

CRT.

HD done right!
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Not all laptops are upgrade friendly but given the parts you changed, it sounds like the new fan or heatsync isn't doing it's job. You often get those kind of blue-screen errors and freezing from over-heating. I get it just from accidentally blocking the fan exhaust on my workstation laptop...

Laptop heatsyncs are hardware specific - especially for GPUs. When I replace the MXM 3b cards on my HP workstation laptop I have to use the exact heatsync sold with the model of GPU. I.e. You can't use one made for a Quadro k4000 on a Quadro K5000 etc. The wrong one won't touch all the chips.

The heatsyncs have to be in contact with all the chips on the PCB with fresh paste. The old paste has to be properly cleaned before applying the new paste to each chip.

Similarly, with fans, you can't usually use just any replacement fan. Try and get the exact brand and model for your laptop.

If you've already done all that, I'd try reinstalling it to see if you missed some old paste or forgot to apply new paste on some of the chips etc. It's also worth checking if you accidentally pulled out some of the ribbon cables.

Basically, laptops are a nightmare to fix or upgrade. A desktop PC is the way to go if a low cost, high performance, easy to up grade, easy to fix HTPC is the goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17
Jump to: