Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Recommendations for a new HTPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
AnalogRocks wrote:

Which model did you get exactly? Diamond, HIS? etc...

I got the visiontek one at Best Buy. I hate buying stuff there, but the cheapest place I saw was around 17 bucks less. At least I can take it back if I don't like it.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running XP or Vista. Have you tried the Qam tunning? I'm wondering if this featuer works with XP or if I'm SOL?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Well this left me scratching my head the first time around. Seem's 640 x 480 works but when the desktop try's to load I get the monitor's no signal message???? Question

I thought I might have set some odd timming in Powerstrip so I reinstalled windows. Also had an odd problem where the computer would fail to boot and I'd have to reset the BIOS to make it boot again after I had been playing with the connections and resolutions on the ATi card. (HDCP oddity? ATi idiocy? )

Now I had the 2005 Moome DVI card powered up with my previous GForce 8600 card running into this monitor. I also demo'd this with the GeForce 8600 card at another forum members place at 1280 x 720 into his 1272. So I knew the switcher was ok.

I changed the breakout cable twice. No change.

As a last resort I put the DVI card and the HDMI card into my other switcher (also a Sony PC1271) that's hooked up to the Ampro 4000. I did the analog to the G520 and damn:!: It worked! The Ampro displayed everything I threw at from 800x600 all the way up to 1920x1080!? (sorry no screen shot's I don't have the Ampro converged ).

EDIT: there's problems with the digital in on the Moome cards combined with the PC1271 switcher. I actually setup the Ampro 4000 this past weekend to do some proper testing. I'll post more latter.

Later: The problem seem's to be both the Ampro 4000 and the Sony G520P like a 'hoter' signal. I'll grab an extron box for the output of the PC1271 then try driving the PJ and the CRT monitor again.

Later in May: The Extron 202 provided a nice boosted signal to the projector. This made the Moome card usable in the PC1271 switcher with the Ampro.

So what is it that prevents this ATi 3850/Moome DVI/Sony PC1271 from driving the G520P where the Nvidia 8600/Moome DVI/Sony PC1271 could drive it just fine?? Why was the image barely there when hooked up to the G520P and bright and fine on the Ampro?

This was an odd weekend to say the least.

I missed most of this, but are you saying your Moome Card doesn't work with a ATi video card?

My Moome ISS card does not work with my ATi HD2600XT. I get a blurry image, or sync issues.

I've just soldered the latest EDID, but I don't think that's the issue.

I've gone back to analogue, the Moome card is useless for PCs. It doesn't look any better anyway.

BTW the Moome cards are too hot, with the ISS I can tame that, but they cause blooming/flaring. I've seen that on a XG DVI card and my ISS card.

The ISS card works fine with standalone players, but I don't have one of those..grr.

Mark
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Well this left me scratching my head the first time around. Seem's 640 x 480 works but when the desktop try's to load I get the monitor's no signal message???? Question

I thought I might have set some odd timming in Powerstrip so I reinstalled windows. Also had an odd problem where the computer would fail to boot and I'd have to reset the BIOS to make it boot again after I had been playing with the connections and resolutions on the ATi card. (HDCP oddity? ATi idiocy? )

Now I had the 2005 Moome DVI card powered up with my previous GForce 8600 card running into this monitor. I also demo'd this with the GeForce 8600 card at another forum members place at 1280 x 720 into his 1272. So I knew the switcher was ok.

I changed the breakout cable twice. No change.

As a last resort I put the DVI card and the HDMI card into my other switcher (also a Sony PC1271) that's hooked up to the Ampro 4000. I did the analog to the G520 and damn:!: It worked! The Ampro displayed everything I threw at from 800x600 all the way up to 1920x1080!? (sorry no screen shot's I don't have the Ampro converged ).

EDIT: there's problems with the digital in on the Moome cards combined with the PC1271 switcher. I actually setup the Ampro 4000 this past weekend to do some proper testing. I'll post more latter.

Later: The problem seem's to be both the Ampro 4000 and the Sony G520P like a 'hoter' signal. I'll grab an extron box for the output of the PC1271 then try driving the PJ and the CRT monitor again.

Later in May: The Extron 202 provided a nice boosted signal to the projector. This made the Moome card usable in the PC1271 switcher with the Ampro.

So what is it that prevents this ATi 3850/Moome DVI/Sony PC1271 from driving the G520P where the Nvidia 8600/Moome DVI/Sony PC1271 could drive it just fine?? Why was the image barely there when hooked up to the G520P and bright and fine on the Ampro?

This was an odd weekend to say the least.

I missed most of this, but are you saying your Moome Card doesn't work with a ATi video card?

My Moome ISS card does not work with my ATi HD2600XT. I get a blurry image, or sync issues.

I've just soldered the latest EDID, but I don't think that's the issue.

I've gone back to analogue, the Moome card is useless for PCs. It doesn't look any better anyway.

BTW the Moome cards are too hot, with the ISS I can tame that, but they cause blooming/flaring. I've seen that on a XG DVI card and my ISS card.

The ISS card works fine with standalone players, but I don't have one of those..grr.

Mark

Hi Mark, sorry I missed this post. I must be slipping.

The GF8600 card pumped out 720p/60 over the DVI port no problem. I set it up on my Sony G520P monitor and took the whole setup over to Ken J's place here in Toronto.

I ran it into his Sony 1272 like this: HTPCw/GF8600 card, 12foot MC DVI to DVI cable, Moome 2005 DVI card, installed in Sony PC-1271 switcher, out of the switcher to the 1272 via RGBHV over about a 40 foot RG6 cable run. Worked fine.

However the Nvidia custom resolutions wouldn't hold after a reboot. I had setup 1080i before I left and when I got to Ken's place the settings were gone. SO I replaced the Nvidia card with an ATI 3450.

Probalm solved right?

Not exactly.

I couldn't see anything from the HDFury, Moome 2005 card, or Moome 2007 card on my Sony G520P monitor except the post screen. I did get a picture with the HDFury and an IFB-12 card combo but not with the IFB10 or 11.

Then I added the Extron, shifted the picture to the right and boosted teh signal and all was good. Funny thing though. The component inputs on the Moome cards worked fine at 1080i from the ATi card. Just not with the DVI and HDMI.

CRT.

HD done right!
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Are you running XP or Vista. Have you tried the Qam tunning? I'm wondering if this featuer works with XP or if I'm SOL?

I'm not running anything. Had 400 million things pop up from a new job, house projects, and an inability to decide how to configure my computer(s). Think I'm just going to get a new one.

Hopefully over the next few days, I'll have Vista and Mythbuntu. I'm dying to test out PowerDVD under wine to see if it can produce a nice BR picture.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, I think I may have corupted my ATi card with powerstrip. All I can reliably get is 640x480. I just did a format c: and reinstalled Windows and the Omega drivers but I still can't get past 640x480. My monitor just blanks out.

DOH! All I wanted to do was run 1080i to the Box1020 so I could watch some Blurays on my 42" RPTV. Sad

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respun, New windoze XP Pro install, changed mother board to Abit NF95. Everything wroks EXCEPT the networking. I even tried a ETH to USB dongle. NO - INTERNET- CONNECTION. Grrrrrr.

I may respin a smaller Windoze install and try all over again.

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you must have picked on kittens or something. Very Happy
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer carma is considerably crappy

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a day with at least 40 hours in it to get everything done. I really need to get back to this.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I was just getting back to this. I'm glad this thread didn't get deleted.

I reinstalled Windows on The Green Machine last week. It's actually running now. However I haven't fixed the internet axess issue.
I did buy a couple of ethernet to USB adaptors to see if I can make it go.

Does anyone have any idea why an XP PC wouldn't want to connect to the net? Last time it didn't feel like a hardware problem ( gut feeling )

Really Later(1/1/14): it was the quality of the Cat5e cables I had here. Even though they were only 25 feet they couldn't carry a signal to the motherboard that was 'hot' enough to make the networking work. I tested the same cable with my MSI netbook and all was fine. Hence the confusion. I ended up having 30 foot cat6 cables made up. The network connected just fine.

Meanwhile the MSI netbook connected with everything I threw at it, even a with a flat cat3 extender cable! MSI GREAT ethernet chip, ABIT N95 and other WinFast motherboard, not so much.

System now has a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H in it and works fine with crappy cat5e cable or the quality cat6 cable. No connection on the cat3 flat extender cable.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drivers!!!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
drivers!!!

Yep that's a good place to start. I do remember installing the mother board drivers last time but to no avail.

I'll try one of the USB to ETH devices tomorow if I wake up. I'm planning on sleeping the day and part of the night away.

CRT.

HD done right!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:
drivers!!!

Yep that's a good place to start. I do remember installing the mother board drivers last time but to no avail.

I'll try one of the USB to ETH devices tomorow if I wake up. I'm planning on sleeping the day and part of the night away.

Perhaps you might consider a new motherboard and forgo the next Betamax purchase? Twisted Evil

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:
drivers!!!

Perhaps you might consider a new motherboard and forgo the next Betamax purchase? Twisted Evil

Mike

I'll have you know it's not Betamax I'm ( currently ) bidding on. It's TLR camera stuff. I'm in the mood to shoot some 6x6.
Edit: Oh yeah and a bunch of Hi8 stuff too Mr. Green

I've actually looked into a new mother board. Problem is I can't find one to fit the Mini ATX case with the PCIe slot in the number 4 position. Most of them are in the number 3 position now. Thumbs Down

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a quad core although I don't really need it. The dual core handles every video chore I've thrown at it so far.

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious what makes one go with one video card manufacturer vs another. I have no loyalties in this department, and my loyalty to Abit (for motherboards disappeared when they left the USA market). I was almost wondering if it would be worth it to buy one card from each camp and try a BD-HTPC setup with the notion of directly feeding analog to the XGLC.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did even though I didn't want to. I asked questions about the Nvidia 8600 cards before I bought. I was asured their powerstrip-like timings were accurate and would hold after a reboot. Nope nope nope.

That's why I opted for the ATi card. It worked with actual powerstrip and when I set 1080i and switched to a different monitor it remembered the 1080i setting. IT would also remember the settings after a re-boot.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I need a day with at least 40 hours in it to get everything done. I really need to get back to this.

Back in January 2009 I bought a Sony S550 Bluray player and a PS3. Along with the HDFury/Box1020/RTC2200/BUF2000 and 21" G520 monitors/17" Viesonic P series monitor (1080p/72 no problem!)/19" Samsung pro series monitors/ 42" RPTV/Ampro 4000 I just stopped "playing" with the HTPC.

There are only so many hours in a night Wink Laughing

However, I'm getting back to this. I just pulled the PC out of the box ( literally ) and wiped the dust off it. (I know, I know why didn't I dust it before I put it away? ) (shrugs) can't remember, it's too long ago.

Here's the current configuration:

Before_front_IMG_1895.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.76 KB
 Viewed:  18951 Time(s)

Before_front_IMG_1895.jpg

Before_Rear_IMG_1893.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  147.02 KB

Before_Rear_IMG_1893.jpg

Before_Card_pack_IMG_1894.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.75 KB

Before_Card_pack_IMG_1894.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top to bottom:

ATi 3850PCIe
My HD130 card
Hauppauge PVR500 dual analog/FM card
Auzentech 7.1 card with analog out.

This little HTPC is currently equipped with a dual core AMD 2400+ and 2GB DDR CL2.5 RAM, 2x320gb HDD a LG HD-DVD/ Blueray drive, Plextor 18x DVD burner and a PC Power and Cooling 610 watt power supply.

The biggest issue with this box was no matter what I tried there was no internet connection. PITA for updates and no way to download guide data for BeyondTV.

I had two of these mother boards and both have this issue. I tried USB adaptors x 4, built in Ethernet just a no go.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

That was then.

Now I have a new Gigabyte motherboard MA785GM-US2H
2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 RAM (thanks Andrew)
AMD Quad core Phenom 9850 CPU
and a new AMD cooling fan

I'll reuse the ATi 3850 card as most of the newer cards don't come with HDTV analog out
I'm keeping the soundcard as well.

The MYHD 130 card will come out and get put into another PC

In its place I'll use a Hauppauge 1600 dual tuner card. It's a hybrid analog/digital card with Cable/NTSC/ATSC/QUAM.

That leaves me with a 1x PCIe slot. I'll find a card for that later.

The Hauppauge PVR500 will goto the other PC as well.

I have a Hauppauge external USB ATSC tuner that I may run on here as well.

WinXP pro ( because I already have the licence )

and adding an external 2TB ESATA drive in an external case.

This is gonnna be fun!

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rebuild has stalled. I keep finding good movies to watch on the hard drive Laughing

and....wow does this sound card sound good! I've been listening to the built in sound of the netbook for ages and going to this sound card was like taking pillows off my ears and getting out of the water. Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17
Jump to: