Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Let's go for HD HTPC ! And enjoy a GGW-H20L.....NOT!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Let's go for HD HTPC ! And enjoy a GGW-H20L.....NOT! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
With my CRT PJ upgrade swopping from my 1272 to a 9500LC Ultra I thought it would be a good moment to get a nice HTPC BR drive, so I bought the LG GGW-H20L now that the prices start to be reasonable.

Hooked the drive up to the SATA connection on my ASUS A8V-E SE motherboard and did what had to be done. The Bios sees the drive...good, Vista 64b sees the drive as a HDDVD drive...good....
Two days later...still no disc can be played on that @*!*&^ drive Evil or Very Mad

It did upgrade to the version "3" firmware but no improvement...

Powerdvd (delivered with the package) blanks with every attempt to pla a HD disc in the H20L. Oh yes...one thing does work, I can open it's drawer by pushing "eject" on my pc...Excellent... Laughing

Anybody got a clue what it might be before I send this drive back?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search here in Home Theater PCs forum we've had lots of fun with this drive.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Do a search here in Home Theater PCs forum we've had lots of fun with this drive.

Done that....still reading here and there....

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerDVD "blanks"? How is your display connected and what is it?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
PowerDVD "blanks"? How is your display connected and what is it?

SC

At this moment it's my samsung 206bw flatscreen (should be HDCP compliant) and on the second output I havegot a moome-card in the PJ....also anydvd (on or off same result).
Videocard 8600GT

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. Sounds like a handshake prob, but sounds like you have the bases covered.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Weird. Sounds like a handshake prob, but sounds like you have the bases covered.

SC

Indeed, and I would expect that if you insert a disc in this drive that it starts spinning like crazy to get the TOC stuff...usually drives are not that silent so I should here the noise....and I don't...

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try connecting it up with VGA RGBHV(analog). Thats how I run mine no handshake issues at all. Smile

My only complaint with the drive is the 500 watt Blue LED access indicator.

HDCP was an option on an 8600GT according to this link.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1848/nvidia-8600gts-and-8600gt/

The GeForce 8600GT will be the first midrange graphic card on offer with an estimated retail price of about $150. The GeForce 8600GT runs at a 540MHz GPU clock and has the option to either use 128MB or 256MB of GDDR3 memory which is run at a 700MHz clock speed on a 128-bit wide memory bus. Obviously it is up to the graphic card manufacturer to decide which memory configuration they prefer, regardless of the total amount of memory used the memory bus will always be 128-bits wide. HDCP support on the GeForce 8600GT is optional as it is not natively included with the G84 architecture. In order to support HDCP the graphic card manufacturer needs to include an EEPROM which holds the HDCP codes.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Try connecting it up with VGA RGBHV(analog). Thats how I run mine no handshake issues at all. Smile

The GeForce 8600GT will be the first midrange graphic card on offer with an estimated retail price of about $150. The GeForce 8600GT runs at a 540MHz GPU clock and has the option to either use 128MB or 256MB of GDDR3 memory which is run at a 700MHz clock speed on a 128-bit wide memory bus. Obviously it is up to the graphic card manufacturer to decide which memory configuration they prefer, regardless of the total amount of memory used the memory bus will always be 128-bits wide. HDCP support on the GeForce 8600GT is optional as it is not natively included with the G84 architecture. In order to support HDCP the graphic card manufacturer needs to include an EEPROM which holds the HDCP codes.

Mike

Ok I will give that a try..."full analog" Very Happy

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arno P wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Arno P

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Arno P wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Thumbs Up

Almost I woul;d say....first returned the drive to get a fresh one...just to be sure their firmware update was not the cause (sent out yesterday)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...I returned the drive and got the USB version...works smooth Wink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SATA GGC-H20L BD/HD-DVD reader/DVD burner, and it works perfectly.

Anydvd fixes any and all potential problems, before I even had them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: